Author Topic: BMS Series 10 info? (2 stroke, probably lawn mower)  (Read 8850 times)

ash

BMS Series 10 info? (2 stroke, probably lawn mower)
« on: 24 March, 2009, 02:04:37 pm »
Hey all,

Can anyone give me info on an old two stroke engine I picked up?
On the shroud is written "BMS Series 10" and on the pull starter it says "Lawn Patrol"

It has an unusual cast alloy exhaust which bolts together. (two halves)
The coil and points assembly is on the base of the motor and should be hidden by a cover, which is sadly missing.

I also need the correct carby, it has been adapted to fit a Victa carb.

I can post a picture up if it helps, cant find camera at the moment!

Cheers,
Ash

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Re: BMS Series 10 info? (2 stroke, probably lawn mower)
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2009, 08:25:42 pm »
Hi Ash
A picture would help also you could try http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/I could not see it listed but if you email them they are very helpfull
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

ash

« Reply #2 on: 24 March, 2009, 08:36:52 pm »
Thanks Ian, I stumbled across that site before actually and have sent them an email.
Heres a few pics, sorry for poor quality.'
Gotta love that electrical plug pullstart handle.. ;p)
« Last Edit: 24 March, 2009, 08:39:08 pm by ash »

Eric Schulz

« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2009, 09:09:32 pm »
John Boundy traded as Boundy Manufacturing Co P/L, Springvale Nth., and John Boundy Industries, Clayton, both Melbourne suburbs.
Lawn mowers were manufactured from about 1954 and continued into the 60s at least. The Lawn Cub was fitted with a JAP 80 engine, but the Lawn Patrol used his own engine. A unique design, having internal flywheels incorporating magnets for the magneto.
This engine was also used on the Gold Cheetah outboard motor.
We used to have one of these as a mower, not a collectors item.
Ash, yours must be a "deluxe" model! I have never seen one with a fancy chrome badge before. It may be small, but that is an interesting piece of Australiana you have there.

Just a line drawing showing what the mower looked like. They didn't all have rewind start.

Eric

Combustor

« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2009, 11:23:18 pm »
     Hi, Ash and others. I do recall Lawn Patrol mowers with no great fondness from about 1960
when we sold and serviced Victa mowers. We used to offer a two quid trade-in on Lawn Patrol or Lawn Cheetah units as their inherent problems were not usually fixable. The crankpin would loosen in the web after the blades had struck a few obstacles,and the small pushrod through the
crankcase wall, which operated the ignition points would leak oil onto the points making them
impossible to start.Running examples were sold for five quid with a money back guarantee as a
trade on a Victa.Wrecks were scrapped quickly,so I imagine complete examples would now be a rarity. The only thing worse was the outboard motor,and I suspect most of them met a watery
grave. You may have a sole survivor! Thank for reviving an old memory.  Regards,  Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

ash

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2009, 11:44:15 am »
Well very interesting, thanks alot for the info!

Funny to hear what a lemon they were/are, gave me a laugh ;p)

I got it apart yesterday and found the bottom end is very poor, bigend bearings are stuffed.
Does anyone know of a potential source of these sort of parts?

Thanks,
Ash

Oldengines

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2009, 12:41:38 pm »
Hi all, i have one of these mowers slowly being restored at the moment, thanks for the history on them, cheers,
Chester.
Cheers from West Aussie.

franco

« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2009, 12:56:54 pm »
Combustor,

You said "I suspect most of them met a watery grave. You may have a sole survivor! Thank for reviving an old memory."

In at least one case you are right, though the old memory might have been better left buried. I had a Golden Cheetah outboard - bought it from my brother for $5, and I bet he is still laughing 35 years later. When I first got it, it would usually start when going out, but would almost invariably refuse to go when it was time to come home - many's the time I rowed a 12 foot aluminium boat 5 or 6 kilometres home before I woke up and replaced it (with a Clinton, but that's another sad story).

Our neighbor had a son about 14 who badly wanted to try the Golden Cheetah on the back of his father's ancient plywood dinghy. I gather he spent much of one morning pulling it over - it would fire but not pick up. He then got the idea that a bit of water flow over the propeller might help, and got a tow from a speedboat. He eventually got the engine to run, but the high speed tow coupled with the vibration from the motor soon proved too much for the old dinghy. The whole transom complete with Golden Cheetah broke loose from the boat, and, I presume, is still at the bottom of the Herbert River somewhere near Halifax in North Queensland.

It couldn't have come to a more appropriate end!

Frank.
« Last Edit: 26 March, 2009, 07:25:28 pm by franco »
Cairns, Queensland