Author Topic: a "Glove Box Generator"  (Read 8848 times)

HardWorkingMan

a "Glove Box Generator"
« on: 01 February, 2009, 07:15:58 pm »
Today I was given a Ohlsson & Rice Amp Champ Generator.  I call it a 'Glove Box Generator' as it almost fitted in the glove box of the car when I bought it home.

Does anyone have any information on these little engines?

What I have found out so far is
- Ohlsson and Rice are known for their engines for radio control models so this is a 'big engine' for them
- it is 2 stroke
- made in America
- 2 230 volt outlets
- 1 12 volt outlet
- Ohlsson & Rice also made petrol powered chainsaws, drills etc.

I would love to know more about it particularly
- its approximate year of manufacture
- whether the 12 volt is set up to work as a battery charger
- the output - can it run one or 2 bulbs or more?
- any documentation anyone may have.

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone other than me has not seen one before here are some pics

oldcranker

• Beaudesert, Qld.
Re: a "Glove Box Generator"
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:09:40 pm »
Can't really see your pics, the're too big, bring the longest side down to at least 650 pixie thingys, ar buggarit, ask Eric.
BK

Nothing like a good crank

Eric Schulz

« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:19:36 pm »
Can't really see your pics, the're too big, bring the longest side down to at least 650 pixie thingys, ar buggarit, ask Eric.

Now, hang on a minute! The responsibility is too much!

OK, this is an issue that needs a bit of serious discussion. Because of this, I think it should be brought up under General Discussion.

Eric

P.S. The generator may nearly fit in the glove box, but I wouldn't recommend you run it in the car.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2009, 09:05:41 pm »
can't really see your pics, the're too big, bring the longest side down to at least 650 pixie thingys, ar buggarit, ask EricNow,
Hang on a minute! The responsibility is too much!

OK, this is an issue that needs a bit of serious discussion. Because of this, I think it should be brought up under General Discussion.

Eric

What is below is from the 'Forum User-Guide' try it the pictures are then not to big

By clicking on the thumbnail the picture will go to full size on this screen and by clicking the picture again it will go back to a thumbnail also by clicking on the code under the thumbnail the picture will go to full size in a new screen

Ian

« Last Edit: 02 February, 2009, 09:08:19 pm by rustyengines »
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

HardWorkingMan

« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2009, 10:40:05 pm »
Here are some small ones for those that paid $2 for the computer in 1988 and see no reason to want quality photos. :)

Seriously I thought the idea of thumbnails was so everyone could see them then you could download high resolution versions of the ones you liked and print on an A4 page and take to club meetings to show club members not on the forum. Now they have to look at 3x2 inch versions like a 1930's photograph and everyone will carry on that they can't see them without their glasses! 

Now they are so small that some of the writing on the decals is illegible. But between the 2 lts everybody should now be happy.

Does anybody know anything about these things or not?  After all a forum is meant to be about helpful information!
« Last Edit: 02 February, 2009, 10:47:57 pm by HardWorkingMan »

rustyengines

« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2009, 11:32:21 am »
Hi Hardworkingman
I have six pages of info on the engine I can send you, contact me with an email address to send to
Ian

HardWorkingMan

« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2009, 07:19:09 pm »
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the offer. I accept it with gratitude.

I have tried to PM you and it didn't seem to work so I have sent an email from my email address.

rustyengines

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:58:28 pm »
Hi hardworkingman

My email server is working again, have sent the info did you get it
Ian

HardWorkingMan

« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2009, 10:59:00 pm »
Thanks Ian,

I have received it and printed it.  Thank you for your help

HardWorkingMab

Eric Schulz

« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2009, 10:36:04 am »
Looking at O&R stuff on the net, one bloke says that these engines only lasted about 100 hours, so don't use it, just look at it. Others are less unkind and actually use theirs.

From a brochure I just received:

AMP-CHAMP is a product of more than sixteen years' experience gained as a major supplier of power sources and related products to the military and industry.

AMP-CHAMP will run hand drills (3/4" in steel) and most other small tools and appliances. Light and powerful. Has AC and DC outlets. In addition, Amp-Champ will charge 6 and 12 volt auto batteries and run 12 volt auto accessories.

AMP-CHAMP will light three hundred-watt light bulbs, power table radios. and power spolights and radio transmitters.

MODEL CP100: 240V AC High Cycle. 240V AC/DC. 350 watts.
RELIABLE: Brushless flux switch alternator-no commutator problems.

Engine production seems to have been in the 1960s - 70s era.

Eric

HardWorkingMan

« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2009, 10:31:35 pm »
Thank you Eric. That sort of information is appreciated.

Yesterday I checked it had a good spark and threw some fresh 2-stroke fuel in it. It gave 1/2 a dozen fires a couple of times but never actually ran.  I have a feeling it is going to be a noisy little beast.

If I can get it reliable I may keep it in my old Truck's toolbox. Then if I get battery failure I should be able to get home by charging the battery with it