Author Topic: Ballarat Bulldog Engine 6.5 horsepower serial Number 1 (Date Please?)  (Read 6682 times)

Warra Boy

Hi one and all
Since i have joined this site a few days ago , i have had a few of my long time unanswered questions answered .
I have been looking in the old posts , and back in 2009 there was some discussion about the Ballarat Bulldog Engine , i have a 6.5 hp serial number 1 , i restored it 22 years ago , and still dont know the manufacture date , the closest year seems to be around 1919-20.
Someone might be able to help
All the best. Warra Boy

Eric Schulz

A Ballarat newspaper search may give some clues.

The earliest Weekly Times ad I have found was October 1920. Production may well have started earlier than that.

The Bulldog Engineering Co P/L applied for registration of the Bulldog trade mark in February 1920. It was abandoned, so never registered.

A cautionary note about writing Ballarat Bulldog. I have seen people using that as the brand name of the engine. It certainly was made in Ballarat, but the brand name was just Bulldog. OK, so I'm a pedant!

Eric

freshieslures

G'day Warra boy, any chance of posting a photo, i wouldn't mind one of them in my shed.

cheers Justin
Main interest are horizontal sideshaft engines

Warra Boy

Thanks Eric for your help , i will do some research in the early Ballarat newspapers of the time to find out more.
With reguards to the branding of the engine , and the name Bulldog , versus Ballarat Bulldog, it clearly has Ballarat Bulldog cast into the hopper as a brand name.
My engine looks similar to the cream  one in smokestack , but mine has straight flywheels , original carby , and was restored as original .
All the best. Warra Boy

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
These are the only engines of which I have pictures on file. They are an unusual and rare engine.
Patrick

Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

freshieslures

I think the wavey spoked flywheels were only on the smaller ones.
Main interest are horizontal sideshaft engines