Author Topic: Howard 2000  (Read 10705 times)

freshieslures

Howard 2000
« on: 04 August, 2013, 06:39:29 pm »
Picked up this monster on the weekend. Can you still get parts for these? Needs a new v belt and a set of new points as the ones in it look to have been roasted. Don't  really know too much about them so any info would be appreciated.

Cheers justin
Main interest are horizontal sideshaft engines

Fizza

• Warncoort,Vic
Re: Howard 2000
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2013, 06:28:29 pm »
Hey Justin,

Suggest you contact the Howard register. They could be a good starting point.

Bob

www.howardregister.com
Tractors, steam locomotives,trucks,Howard Rotovators,earthmoving

Eric Schulz

« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2013, 07:21:28 pm »
Certainly, contact the Howard Register. In the mean time, the 2000 replaced the Kelpie in September 1962. It was powered at first by the Howard LH engine.
Some time in 1963 the Howard 408 or 2408 (haven't sorted that one out yet) was introduced.
There were Briggs & Stratton and a diesel options during the life of the tractor. Can't tell what make yours is, as the Howard and B&S engines were similar in design.
V belts would be standard ones found at your local v belt supplier.

Eric

freshieslures

« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2013, 01:03:56 am »
Thanks Bob and Eric for your reply's. I will contact the register as i need a wiring diagram and manual.
I got a set of points today that were a perfect fit and needed no modification. Your right again Eric, this one has the Howard engine 408. Do you know when they went to the B & S engine??

Justin 

chappy

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2013, 12:04:17 pm »
Hey Justin

Great machine's have 4 myself 408 engines I like best

chappy

HardWorkingMan

« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:34:42 pm »
Mine has the  Briggs & Stratton and an electric start.  Reproduction manuals also appear on auction sites.  Other people to try may be Plough Books or Rally Badges, both of whom advertise in TOMM

freshieslures

« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2013, 12:35:42 am »
Thanks Guys,
This one has the starter motor out of it. I was quite surprised they had electric start as the few iv'e seen at shows were started with a rope. Got it sparking today, needs the petrol tank cleaned out next then hopefully  ready to start.

Justin

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2013, 05:05:58 pm »
Sounds all very exciting Justin, hope it goes well for you. Look forward to hearing the next steps and how it works out for you.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

freshieslures

« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2013, 01:10:14 pm »
G'day Coddadog, I got the little howard running recently and the kids just love it. This is my sons first tractor as he had the choice of a tractor or motorbike for his b'day and wanted a tractor to restore when he gets older. I pulled out the pto lever and put a cover plate over the hole, to make it safer and some where to put his foot. First gear in high range is a good speed for me to walk along beside him until he is old enough to drive it. Boy its slow in low range, still need to put the starter motor back in and a more fine tuning as just can't get the mixture right.

Cheers Justin

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2013, 05:52:57 pm »
Great to hear Justin. I bet your son is over the moon with his very first tractor.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

MoodyBlue933

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:46:03 pm »
Justin,
        I have manuals including wiring diagrams for the Howard fitted with the 408 motor.

Also have most of the original colour brochures advertising what each attachment does.

Funny one is the "Asian Attachment" which is simply an umbrella holder  :D

Jeff Smith

moodyblue933@hotmail.com