Author Topic: Why buy a Hillman in 1961?  (Read 10509 times)

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Why buy a Hillman in 1961?
« on: 16 December, 2013, 09:20:50 am »
Hello all.
I think this explains why.
Cheers Scott

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Re: Why buy a Hillman in 1961?
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2013, 09:23:49 am »
Hello again.
This may be a bit easier to read

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »
Having had an automatic Hillman years ago (says Dee) the advert is right, automatics, no changing gear! That was why she got rid of it, it wouldn't change gears.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

riggles

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:41:48 pm »
G'day all Riggles here,
Sounds like the old Holden Trimatic (traumatic) gear box, ha ha ha
Cheers Riggles

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2014, 02:14:14 pm »
I have been waiting to see what people have to say about Hillmans
They were a very good car and a very solid car
The first car I drive was dads 1955 Hillman Minx then a 1959 Humber Hawk then a 1964 Humber Super Night?
My first car bought at an auction was a 1959 Hillman Minx (first year apprentice wages 1963)
My first new car a 1966 Hillman Gazelle the first really good Hillman but also the last it was made by the Roots group but had a Chrysler badge on it
The next models were all Chrysler and called Hillman Hunter not as good as the old ones, are these the one that had a auto in them??
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:04:24 pm »
Well they did make many good reliable cars but Dees was a second hand, badly abused one and it just failed due to lack of maintenance.
The Humbers always rode beautifully as the had a bit of weight to them to help out with the comfortable ride, hence the term 'very solid car'. The finish on them was also good.

allisb

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »
They actually were a good solid car. Autos in those days? Not that good really, esp in small cars.
The Hunter (and I was mechanicking in those days) wasn't a bad car. They had the 1725 engine going pretty well by that time. If you could get the estate, they had a cast iron head by memory. The alloy ones used to corrode a bit, people weren't really used to alloy heads and the need for inhibitors. The gearbox was great, you could downshift in to first at quite impressive speeds. (ask me how i know:) ) but they certainly were constructed to a much lighter (cheaper) standard than the earlier ones.
Our family had a Gazelle, but it was badged as a Singer. The BLMC, Rootes group and others, there was a lot of rebadging going on. Tax reasons? I think.
Good memories in any case.
A B
I spend most of my pay on old tractors and engines, I tend to waste the rest

Clynton Brown

• From the best half of the state Northern Tassie
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »
Hillmans mustn't be to popular here on the island I've only seen about 3! (Well also a singer) the closest I've got to anything Hillman is the minx mud guards on my better halves grandfathers Austin sprite! Apparently he got it with a damaged front in the 70s and the minx ones fitted ok so with slight mods that's what it got!

PS the new bonnet is the roof off a FJ Holden STATION WAGON!!!
Im 25, I dont want to think of my shed in 25 years..........

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »
They were a popular car that was sold in Sydney when I was growing up. But it maybe like many things in different area, if the Dealer is good you will see plenty of his items in that district, if he was not so good you wont see many.

rustyengines

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2014, 12:53:13 pm »
Found a picture of My first new car a 1966 Hillman Gazelle
Ian

powerit

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2014, 11:37:59 pm »
My first ever car was a 1958 Hillman Minx, bought when I was 16 in 1966. I thought I was the duck's guts, having a car just 8 years old and being one of only two students in year 11 with a car... all my mates had were pushbikes or bus passes. That car was totally gutless but I have fond memories of back-seat romances and other exciting stuff. Like they say ... you always remember your first.

rustyengines

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2014, 11:58:14 am »
Funny you say '1958 Hillman Minx' that was my first second hand car which was traded in for the Gazelle
OH 'memories of back-seat romances and other exciting stuff. Like they say ... you always remember your first' OOPS better not ask for more details
Ian

powerit

« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2014, 01:17:10 am »
Hi Ian ... in this case, I meant my first car. That's what I meant to say that I remembered :-)

Some cars later I bought a Hillman Imp with the idea of putting a fibreglass sports car body on it. People did things like that back in the day. The series 3 VW was a favourite contender as it had a flat four cylinder engine with a shallow air duct, unlike the tall round monstrosity on the beetles. The Imp also had a flat four and looked to be a likely contender. But it never happened, as I upgraded (if you can say that) to a ... Vanguard Spacemaster.

JimD

« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2015, 04:28:13 pm »
I learnt to drive in a Hillman Imp..... :)

Cheers
JIm

shubys tractor farm

• SUFFERING SEVERELY FROM RUSTY IRON DISEASE.
« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2015, 04:56:32 pm »
G'day all I could not open the origional message so I am at a disadvantage here - BUT  i wish to sell
 my very origional Hillman IMP -comes with some spares - any enquiries to 0487830686 CLARE S.A. or swap with any unique smALL CRAWLER TRACTOR.  HELP NEEDED TO MOVE A CRAWLER TRACTOR FROM GRIFFITHS NSW TO CLARE S.A.  THANKS D.S.