Author Topic: Why buy a Hillman in 1961?  (Read 10277 times)

sunshine man

Re: Why buy a Hillman in 1961?
« Reply #15 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:34:24 am »
Hi guys
              Not too long after the hillman hunters became available on the used car market I test drove one , it did not do anything wrong but I decided not to buy it .the next car I test drove was datsun 1600, I could not pay for it quick enough .what a car! Compared to the hillman like chalk and cheese.the datsun handled like it was on rails . Very responsive engine, smooth 4 speed gear box, independent rear suspension, nice interior , etc , etc, I stil own this car although now most the mechanicals are very modified.eg 2.4 litre engine, 5 speed , 4.1 ratio diff .the body is as came from factory .these cars are still one of the best performing cars in motor sport today , rallying, hill climb, tar
Sunshineman

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Why buy a Hillman in 1961?
« Reply #16 on: 09 December, 2015, 04:16:15 pm »
when I was panel beating I worked for a guy that rallied a 1600. He had to be the worlds worse driver. He smashed it every outing, so many times he started buying wrecks at auctions to cover his cost of repairs. Being an apprentice it was my job to take them apart, label & store the good parts and put the junk on the car trailer. I got it down 'pat, one car per day completely apart and stored. Simplest little thing to work on, the 180B came out, I left before his next rally!
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.