Author Topic: CLAE inboard marine engines  (Read 12775 times)

oceans15

• rust is a must - Brisbane
CLAE inboard marine engines
« on: 03 April, 2014, 12:09:50 am »
Anybody have one?
Piston pumps, Australs and Diesel Ronnies - Inboard Marine engines - Eatons Hill - Qld

davo

Re: CLAE inboard marine engines
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2014, 10:32:47 pm »
Yep, got an F10 in pieces, engine only no gearbox.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2014, 08:56:07 am »
Yep, got an F6 all but complete
Ian

Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

oceans15

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2014, 11:03:00 pm »
After 5 months of restoring a long ago disassembled (by previous owner 2 back) basketcase, I finally have a complete and running C.L.A.E. Fisherman 10, twin cylinder inboard marine engine with forward and reverse gearbox and original Eisemann magneto stamped with same number as engine. I know of one other running (although highly modified from original) F10 and 3 not running. Interested to hear from any other F10 owners - cheers
Piston pumps, Australs and Diesel Ronnies - Inboard Marine engines - Eatons Hill - Qld

klanger

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2014, 12:38:32 pm »
Looks great, well done.

Any more photos?

Kev
Kevin
Cowes, Phillip Island. Vic
2 x 3hp Record Marine Engines
Ferro 7.5 hp Type K Marine Engine
Ferro 5.5 hp Type E Marine Engine
Ferro 5.5 hp Type F Stationary Engine
2 x Stuart Turner P5M
Simplex 5Hp
Simplex 7/10Hp Twin Cylinder
Detroit Marine Engine 4 HP

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2014, 04:37:16 pm »
What a great story and patience that you must have to finish it off to such a high standard. Very well done.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

oceans15

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2014, 09:51:18 pm »
couple more pics - will put a vid on utube soon - check out the 'Wilson motor' vid me and a mate got going too - unbelievably loud in 'realtime'!!

jopeter

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2014, 06:34:16 pm »
Very nice job ...............I like your placement of the cooling tank.

oceans15

« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2014, 11:01:54 pm »
Tank was measured for maximum volume, fitment between rails and under gearbox, steering limitation and breakover angle so it will go up the 4' ramp/tailgate and into the trailer - shaft is 1&1/8" from a ski boat and prop is 16" diameter bronze 3 blade. Shed was turned upside down for materials for this project as budget was strict. Rails (Blackbean) have been with family for 40 years as one piece - originally purchased to serve as ramps (other piece gone) to trailer a Hudson to the smash up derby at the 'Ekka'. Dad won most destructive driver! I was astonished to watch him unceremoniously cut the 6" by 2" in half with the old Makita... no wonder hacking the head off a chook with a machete was childsplay!

jopeter

« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2014, 10:26:19 am »
I wondered if when you get up to temp is the prop shaft shrouded in steam?

oceans15

« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2014, 11:14:14 am »
Plenty of steam from the water but doesn't affect visibility of display - positive effect I think - discharge pipe is drilled so water is gently sprayed across tank to increase cooling capacity - won't be running continuously all day anyway - hope to demonstrate the ease of starting by hand as it has impulse drive on the magneto. Have already 'hand-started' it once without using the non standard crankhandle and drive dog we fitted for initial test'n'tune. Will remove the drive dog from the flywheel if it is easy enough to cold and hot start. Everything is being done with no manuals or information available and only one other known in running condition. However it does not use a magneto, alpha carby or standard pump either so no help there. Got some help and the prop from a 'putput' enthusiast at Toorbul who has 6 boats but no Clae's.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2014, 10:45:33 am »
Hello all.
I have a question if I may.
Was it common to have a magneto with the corresponding engine number on it?
I would have imagined the vast majority of magneto's were made well before the engines. I would have imagined some magneto's sitting on a shelf in the manufacturing plant ready to be bolted onto engines as they were assembled and out the door they go as a running engine. I would have thought each magneto would have had their own serial number.

If anyone can shed any light to my thoughts I would very much appreciate it as there is so much to learn about engines and their associated components?
Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:10:50 am »
Maybe the magnetos are made with no serial number as supplied to an engine Company and they then stamp their numbers on during production. Just a thought!
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

oceans15

« Reply #13 on: 05 September, 2014, 12:31:25 pm »
As promised - here is a link to a short video on utube of CLAE F10 running - I didn't include the hand start but as can be seen the 'dog' has been removed from the flywheel. Battery was for timing light as we were experimenting with ignition timing. Seems happy with just an inch or 2 of advance when running. Will probably fit a stationary engine type silencer as it's a bit too loud but is otherwise ready to rally. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW1mbeo4oHk

Peter Short

• Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #14 on: 05 September, 2014, 04:01:11 pm »
Hello all.
I have a question if I may.
Was it common to have a magneto with the corresponding engine number on it?

Scott,

I have a Bosch 22 magneto on a Crossley engine - the mag has been stamped with the engines serial number, but still has its Bosch serial number. My guess is the mag was stamped by Crossley to help with their assembly process. The engine serial number was stamped on other parts like the crank guard, it means they could paint it and still know which engine it goes with. It would help everyone involved - storemen, fitters, painters, final assembly etc. keep track of parts.

Strangely enough, it is still a problem when building machinery - we get regular shipments of sheetmetal parts, many of them one-offs in a pile of similar parts - the stores need to identify each part when they arrive (usually with part number sticker applied by sheetmetal shop), then again after painting, plating etc, then pick the correct parts for each machine being assembled....nowadays we use hand-held printers/scanners to put stickers with bar codes on the finished part. From ordering parts to assembly could represent several months. Some parts have their numbers etched on them by the laser during cutting, but this is obscured by powder coat. Number/letter stamps answer all these problems - but not something you can do with hundreds of parts, sheetmetal, fabrications, machined parts, electronic assemblies etc. arriving every day from different places.