Author Topic: Brass vs Bronze bushes.  (Read 12525 times)

Merv C

Re: Brass vs Bronze bushes.
« Reply #15 on: 20 April, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
when I wanted to make a brass big end bearing for my 4hp Blackstone I made the pattern and took it to my local foundry to get one cast.
They told me that they would use some kind of bronze as it was better than brass. I don't know the difference but it does look like brass,What do know is I have always used bronze when replacing bearing bushes.
Merv.

mikelsjunk

« Reply #16 on: 20 April, 2014, 06:29:13 pm »
Hi,  I would never use brass for a bearing application. Although people call it brass, they usually mean bronze.  Any decent bearing, power transmission or industrial supply place will have it.  I live in Orange (pop 40000) and there probably 6 places where I could get it from.  The term "brasses" has been used in ye olde days to describe bearings but the material is bronze - looks the same but is not. 

Mike           
Mike Young,
Orange, NSW, 2800
Collector of Self Restored Vintage Stationary Engines

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #17 on: 20 April, 2014, 06:46:02 pm »
I have made lots of brass BUSHES for hand operated equipment and sometimes low speed and low load works fine
Brass is softer than bronze   
Bronze is a better BEARING material
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Teddy

« Reply #18 on: 20 April, 2014, 07:41:00 pm »
Thanks again all those who have replied.
Today turned out to be an unplanned "visitors day", many friends, all good, but no engine work done.
Sorry Scott, no pics, but soon.
Teddy

ianoz

« Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2014, 07:48:52 pm »
Should have told the Visitors to come out the shed if they wanted to chat Teddy .You might have got a handy hand .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

Teddy

« Reply #20 on: 20 April, 2014, 08:21:57 pm »
Ian
These friends are good people but wouldn't know brass from bronze. er a shocket set from a battery charger, er a ring gap from a ring spanner.
More hindrance than help in the workshop.
Teddy

rusty pete

• Sleepy Hollow- Geelong
« Reply #21 on: 21 April, 2014, 08:20:24 pm »
Hi Teddy, as previously mentioned, Phosphor bronze is the way to go. Get some decent measurements and i might have a off cut for you. Left over from doing my twb McDonald big end. Cheers. Pete
from the house of "THATSFA" where this is for this and thatsfa that.