Author Topic: Caravan  (Read 12158 times)

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Caravan
« on: 03 June, 2014, 07:14:48 am »
Hello all.
I know a caravan is not an automobile and a caravan is definitely not a truck or engine or mower or tractor or something that fits into any other category on this forum so here it is.

My 83 year old dad thought I needed another project. A caravan to tow behind one of the cars.
It's an 11th month 1962 Chesney Queenslander Special that's a whopping 13'6" long that sat in their neighbours yard for about 10 years. It was going to be taken to the tip.

Penelope (maybe name Cobba) seemed to be in reasonably good condition but we knew there were a couple of leaks.
Here is the result of investigating the leak at the front. The back is similar.
So far my dad has done 95% of the work (due to me building a horse-float at the moment as well) and the level of workmanship is outstanding. In the last picture you can see the new sides.
The front of Penelope is near ready for the skin to go back on but it'll stay off until the last moment.
The back has the windows out and we need to take the day/night couch out to facilitate the repairs at the back but the couch does not fit out the door. They must have put it in before the back was finished. It is the only way we can see the couch getting in there. So the back comes off and the couch comes out.

Next to Penelope is their slide on camper we built in about '98 or so. It's been everywhere including a lap around Australia. We every 'nut and bolt' rebuilt the old ute then as well.

Hopefully I'll remember to do a series of pictures during the restoration.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Caravan
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2014, 05:18:01 pm »
Penelope (our granddaughters name) is a pretty little girl. We had a similar problem with wood rot from a badly sealed roof on our camper van, you know the kind that you wind the roof up and pull the beds out at each end. So I fitted new timber and resealed the roof and replaced the neoprene seal around the roof. Bugger of a job but worth while doing and doing right.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Scott

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2014, 06:06:22 pm »
Hello all.
I'm back to a better form of internet so some progress pictures are needed.
Here is the new front my dad put on

And here is the back and what we found

And after some repairs

Both sides are now repaired at the back so the next job is to rebuild the actual back of the van. All the timber is cut ready to install when I get back. We stripped all the skin to make repairs easier and to see what's under there. It'll be a good excuse to completely reseal the roof and to install insulation everywhere. Rewiring the van will be easier now as well.
In between rebuilding I've been sanding the inside. What a job that is. Why do people never sand before they put another coat of acrylic paint on? So far I've found 3 different colours.

Cheers Scott

hoarder1

• Livin' the high life in Warwick, Qld.
    • Click HERE to see some more of my pictures
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2014, 11:42:54 am »
It's progressing well Scott.  Should be a handy little van when finished.  Next on the shopping list will be an older vehicle to tow it to rallies.
Collector and fan of ye olde crappe. I collect old number plates.  Have you got any?  Send me a PM if you do.  :-)  I might even trade them for other old junk.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2014, 05:15:21 pm »
It is looking great Scott. Progress seems to stop even with all the hours you put into it then all of a sudden it is almost done. When we were away recently we found a FB Holden towing a period van both had been colour coded/matched and looked a real treat. I have a couple of pics on the laptop so when I transfer them across I will post a pic of the beautiful set up.

Scott

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2014, 08:35:17 am »
Should be a handy little van when finished.  Next on the shopping list will be an older vehicle to tow it to rallies.
Gidday mate. Yes. Penelope will be very handy to say the least.
No older vehicles are on the list of things to buy. We already have a selection laying about the place.
On the short list is The Datto (a 1964 datsun 320 ute) or The Kingswood (78 Vacationer II wagon)

A picture would be great Cobba if you can find it.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2014, 04:27:33 pm »
Here is the FB Holden we saw at a car show in Dubbo recently. It looks great and was a real talking point amongst many people.

Scott

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2014, 07:10:07 am »
Hello Cobba.
Thanks for the pictures.
Personally I think there is too much pink there. I think a reverse of the colours on the van would have been a bit more to my liking. Very nice EK though.
Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2014, 04:13:07 pm »
I think he did it to match the original paint scheme on the FB (not an EK). But you are right it is a lot of pink. I guess it is always about what the owner wants to do with it not us. I have done some silly things with colours and it works for me, until I decide to redo it again in something just as silly or back to original.
Either way your project with Penelope is looking just great, keep up the good work.

Scott

« Reply #9 on: 25 July, 2014, 11:35:39 am »
Hello all.
Just an update.
All the wood work is done and Penelope is starting to go back together.
Here is a picture of the insulation we put in her to keep her either cool or warm depending on the need.
The inside has all been stripped back and the paint is starting to go back on.
The outside aluminium has been cleaned and is awaiting some minor dints to be removed and it can go back on as well
Cheers Scott

ianoz

« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2014, 09:50:58 am »
Looks like you have been right though it with a fine tooth comb  .Good job .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

steeleye

• Gladstone Qld. Just north of Benaraby
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2014, 01:38:58 pm »
Well done Scott....... You'll be able to drag it up to Bilo for next years rally????????........ cheers Phil
Keepum burnin an turnin

Scott

« Reply #12 on: 30 May, 2015, 09:35:05 am »
Hello all.
Just an update on the van's progress. Some thanks to Ian for the reminder.
The outside is done except for a clean up and paint of the rear of the chassis and the inside needs the seat cushions done and the fridge door put back on.
This picture was just prior to maiden voyage up the worse road in Australia. the Summerland highway.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #13 on: 30 May, 2015, 04:38:31 pm »
Well done Scott!
Penelope looks lovely, you should be happy with the outcome.

ianoz

« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2015, 09:49:50 pm »
Hummm , Think you needa series one landrover to  geta bit period correct there Scott .

Good work mate ..Bugger Billoela . Get your self Organised for Raglan Next year Steeleye Phil , needs all the Engine Tragics he can get to keep him Company in the engine compound .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland