Author Topic: Inidian Motor Cycle  (Read 7172 times)

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Inidian Motor Cycle
« on: 24 June, 2014, 06:41:37 pm »
I would like to buy a Inidian Motor Cycle for the price below
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

jopeter

Re: Inidian Motor Cycle
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:36:36 pm »
Me too ,do you know of anyone who has one for sale? I would be willing to pay a little more within reason than the shown sterling price in A$.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:52:44 pm »
The price show is Australian Pounds and shillings, how do you convert to what it would be worth today
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2014, 07:41:12 am »
Hello all.
Many years ago (early 90's) when I was about 30 or so (when I worked) I fixed a pressure pump for a little old lady (she was about 60 odd then) who insisted I have a cuppa with her after the job.
We got talking and she asked me what I liked to do as a hobby sort of thing and I said I have a few old cars and motor bikes. She asked me what sort of motorcycles and I said early Honda's.
She then told me about her fond memories of her brothers and herself when they were kids riding about the family farm on an old motorcycle and when I asked her what sort of bike it was all she could remember was that it had an Indian's head on the front mudguard that lit up at night. Immediately my ears pricked.
She then said it's probably still there leaning against the shed post and, if I wanted, she'd ask about it. Too right I said.
So the next time I was there she told me she talked to her brother about the bike. It was sold to a scrappy about 4 years prior and it was dropped into his tip truck. My tears must have been apparent.
I did get a small Lister cream separator from her that lived pride of place in our home from then on.
I still she her driving her 'tilly' about and I always have a chat when I do see her.

Cheers Scott

tanksmate

« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »
Hi Ian and others,  that price, converted today??, well it would be in the thousands I would think. I sure would love to get one still in the box, these days.  I did inherit a 1942 WLA, Harley from an uncle who bought it in 1947 from Army Surplus Sales.
They are very similar to the Indian in a lot of ways.
It was still in the box, new, and he had to assemble it. When I go it in 1957, I had to put new rings etc, in it. I used it for 4 or five years before I got my first car.  I ended up with three of them, all WLA's and one with sidecar and reverse gear box. Many a great time was had in those days when I was single. A NEW one today, Indian or Harley of that age, name your own price.
Thank you Ian for showing us that advert,  Cheers,  John     

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »
I would settle with the one that Kiwi had, Bert Monroe's Indian. I still enjoy the movie and just love the story in general and most of all, the bike.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

hoarder1

• Livin' the high life in Warwick, Qld.
    • Click HERE to see some more of my pictures
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2014, 12:25:42 am »
They've started making Indians again.  I think Polaris has bought the brand, but the bikes are quite true to the original Indian spirit.  Another 'useless' fact - did you know that all WLA Harleys are designated as 1942 build, regardless of what year they were made? 
Collector and fan of ye olde crappe. I collect old number plates.  Have you got any?  Send me a PM if you do.  :-)  I might even trade them for other old junk.

shubys tractor farm

• SUFFERING SEVERELY FROM RUSTY IRON DISEASE.
« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »
G'day all to your motorcycle interested readers.  Friday 24/10/14  I attended an auction sale at a small  property near Angaston S.A.  WHERE THERE WAS ADVERTISED IN THE SALE A 1926 INDIAN SCOUT motorcycle in origional condition.  I attended this sale for other reasons, but this INDIAN was what you would call a "Barn Find" in origional condition, very complete and very presentable.  Unit was not started so unsure if it ran.  There was a huge crowd at the sale and most came to see the INDIAN motorcycle sold - and at this point I should ask you - What do you think it would fetch??????
Starting bid was $15,000 and after a long drag it was finally sold for $29,000.  The ohs and ahas  from the crowd increased with every bid right  from the first.
   So I guess there is the answer to your question (statement)  Ian - you cannot buy an INDIAN MOTORCYCLE  at THAT price- here is an example of what somebody was prepared to pay for such a unit just as a Barn Find - let alone being fully restored.
   Makes me think-------- what value do we place on items we have collected over the years and  stored in our sheds????
  To me --- the value is represented not in dollars and cents but in what WE can preserve for future generations.  Something to ponder over.  Chears, ShubysTractorFarm.

jopeter

« Reply #8 on: 27 October, 2014, 10:20:36 am »
I wonder what this would be worth?

JimD

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2015, 04:32:53 pm »
Dont know what the origional poster is smoking , but I want an 8 valve.....

Cheers
JIm

deecee

« Reply #10 on: 08 September, 2015, 07:13:59 pm »
Here's a pic of an old Indian Prince we have. Still runs OK.