Author Topic: "Bridge" engine  (Read 4392 times)

Eric Schulz

"Bridge" engine
« on: 25 June, 2014, 05:02:42 pm »
A “Bridge” engine was shown at the NHMA Rally in Murray Bridge, 2009. I never met up with its owner or found anything about it. Where it was made was a mystery, and maybe still is.

While recently updating my engine files, I revisited FW Formby of Murray Bridge. Due to the way an old advertisement was worded, I did not pick up the fact that he advertised his engine as the Bridge. So, was the 3 cylinder Bridge made by Formby?

The earliest reference I have found to Formby was 1908. The business was sold up in 1911. Among the clearing sale items were drawings and patterns for engines of 5 - 15hp. The single cylinder engines were 5hp, so that would make a 3 cylinder 15hp, if my arithmetic is correct.

Please, does anyone know the owner?

Unusual features of the engine are the diaphragm pumps for water and oil. I would love to get a peek under that ignition distributor cover to see what is inside.

Eric

shubys tractor farm

• SUFFERING SEVERELY FROM RUSTY IRON DISEASE.
Re: "Bridge" engine
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2014, 12:20:59 pm »
Re BRIDGE ENGINE- Yes Eric I can shed some light on this unit.  I am a founding member of the Barossa Valley Machinery Preservation Soc Inc  (Estab 1976) and we are based at ANGASTON S.A. This particular unit was donated to our Club quite some years back and after many enquiries we had found out nothing about it.  We took it to National Rally at Murray Bridge (thinking that there may have been some association there ) but we received no new info.  We as a CLUB do the display at the Royal Adelaide Show every year - have done so for last 30+ years - we took it to a recent Adelaide Show and did gain a little info, but as yet----we are still seeking ANY info re this unit, manufacturer etc.   It is a rare item and one which we as a Club would like to restore and display.  If anyone has any info - you can contact me as a member via Forum contact - or directly to the Club - Secretary  BVMPS - Box 121, ANGASTON S.A. 5353.
  jUST A SHORT NOTE - Royal Adelaide Show is 175 yrs this yr and have a longer show - 10 days.  We will have a great "Heritage" display there this year (at this stage we are trying to pull together a display such as one sees in old adverts early 1900's era but finding it a bit hard to pull together the right units and the huge display boards they used to have)- so if you visit Adel Show -6-14th Sept 2014  -and come to our display- make yourslves known and come in and have a coffee and a chat with us.  You would be most welcome.  Chears all Shubys Tractor Farm.

jopeter

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:17:35 am »
I hope you are not going to sit on that engine ,waiting until you find out more about it ......you may never!
To me it looks like you could start on a restoration but I understand that if it is a ''Club Engine'' there would be a reluctance for individual members to start on it.
I had an engine for 15 years before I received any info on it but I did restore it. Please don't just let it sit there !

PERRYG

• Stationery, Marine, Outboards and Steam
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:33:55 pm »
I recall seeing this engine at the National Rally in Murray Bridge and would have some photos of it myself in my files. I also recall a smaller three cylinder marine engine which by memory looked very similar at an earlier rally held at the same site. Its owner is the brother of a friend of my father so I should be able to find out more about it. At the time virtually nothing was known about the engine or it's maker, and it was even featured in the Magazines marine section at one point seeking info.
I'll see what I can dig-up and keep you posted.
Outboards, Marine, Stationery and Steam - Gawler SA