Author Topic: making a model engine help  (Read 3019 times)

jcume3

making a model engine help
« on: 28 July, 2014, 08:21:48 am »
hi guys i am starting to make a model stationary engine and i have hit a brick wall
i need some help/ideas on how to machine a crank and cam and gears i have a basic understanding about it but i am just not sure because this is going to be my first model i have attempted

thanks jono

famous fitter

Re: making a model engine help
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2014, 03:22:05 pm »
What type of engine are you building ?? are you working from drawings (easier) or freelance design??
Gears are available as blanks  in many sizes from various suppliers - they maybe a bit complex to machine for your first attempt but go ahead and try and cut them yourself ,you will need a dividing head and the appropriate involute cutters as well.
The crankshaft is not as hard as it looks if you think about it- I used an" offset" jig to machine my crank and was much easier (very simple) to machine the offset on the big end.
I am building a 1/3 scale hit miss from a casting kit at the moment it uses a gear set that was supplied (mass produced) ,the cutters would have cost more than the gears !!.
Good Luck with your project and let us know how you get on
Justin

freshieslures

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2014, 12:21:52 am »
You can also fabricate a crank shaft easy enough if you can drill and ream accurate holes. The trick is to drill and ream your plates together, then cut your big end shaft to length but the mains shaft leave as one piece. Assemble and silver solder together, then cut out the center of the main shaft. I made one using this method and it come out straight as a die. Not sure what machining equipment you have but good luck.

Cheers
Main interest are horizontal sideshaft engines

jcume3

« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2014, 08:29:57 pm »
Hi guys I am trying to make a model of henry fords first engine because it is allot simpler compared to others I have looked at

jcume3

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2014, 08:30:39 pm »
And I have a lathe mill drill press and all the other goodies

famous fitter

« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2014, 11:18:56 am »
Had a look at pics of these on the net- did a simple Google search and it looks like anything goes with how they are made, you may be able to find a 2:1 gear set out of a small engine, drill ,or industrial gearbox ?? . best you get and have a go and don't let yourself believe its too hard. If you have difficulty with any particular part of the fabrication just ask , someone will answer your question and get you past the "Brick wall" ,so lets see some action!!! :-)

jcume3

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2014, 07:59:09 am »
thanks for that i will post more pics as i make it