Author Topic: SERVEX Compressor  (Read 9897 times)

steeleye

• Gladstone Qld. Just north of Benaraby
SERVEX Compressor
« on: 12 August, 2014, 09:09:44 pm »
I have recently acquired an old compressor branded SERVEX. Also on the makers plate it recommended the use of Atlantic Union Oil Company oil. It is my belief that Atlantic Union came to Australia in 1924 but was sold to Standard Oil of New Jersey in 1933. Can anyone confirm this as it may also confirm the age of the compressor itself.  ........cheers Phil
Keepum burnin an turnin

Eric Schulz

Re: SERVEX Compressor
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2014, 05:49:40 pm »
Phil, it doesn't see so long ago that Atlantic products were still around. A look at Google shows that the Atlantic brand was used in Australia to the early 60's. That doesn't narrow down your Servex compressor age much I'm afraid.

Eric

steeleye

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2014, 06:00:12 pm »
The Atlantic brand, yes it did continue Eric, but the company did not. The plate states 'Atlantic Union Oil Co. Ltd".   ......Phil
Keepum burnin an turnin

Eric Schulz

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2014, 09:57:27 pm »
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Eric

Combustor

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2014, 10:53:51 pm »
          A google search for Servex garage equipment tells me that the co made a lot of garage hoists, hydraulic presses, wheel aligners etc and had a history going back to the 1930's. There is an un trusted Trove link to 1950's advertisements but I have not gone there yet.
          Seems the last of the co was merged with other groups in the '80's and one division still supplies spares for wheel aligners.
 I certainly recall most garages had hoists powered by a Servex compressor atop a vertical air receiver from 1940's to '70's. Some of those old designs were made unchanged for many years, so finding dates could be difficult.
         My 2 cents worth.  Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

steeleye

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2014, 01:58:31 pm »
Hi Blokes. Here is a few pictures of the compressor while it was still in my trailer. Actually managed to get the unit itself off the cylinder and the cylinder out of the trailer today. No ropes or pulleys, just lots of grunt. Crap, that thing has some weight in it. The wall thickness of the cylinder walls is approx. 3/8" thick. .................. cheers Phil
Keepum burnin an turnin

tractorfan

« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2014, 11:37:54 am »
I've found a photo of your compressor in a Servex catalogue. The catalogue isn't dated, but would have been printed between 1936-38, and certainly pre-war. I can also tell you the Cat. No. 2 compressor was 3" x 4" and cost 15£ 15s 0ds in 1940. This model of compressor isn't listed in their 1958 catalogue.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2014, 07:08:18 am »
Hello Phil.
Has the tank got a test plate on it?
As for build date for the compressor, my guess is November 1944.

I had to laugh at one of your pictures. A tin of rust stop or rust penetrating stuff with a rusty top.

Cheers Scott

jopeter

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2014, 10:46:32 am »
This looks like a Servex.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2014, 08:28:01 pm »
Hi Phil
I have just picked up a Servex compressor in working order
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Beech

« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2014, 09:25:40 pm »
Steeleye, I have a Servex compressor which looks very much like yours, years ago I rang Indeng in Melbourne and they were able to tell me the date of manufacture and the specs of the compressor. From memory mine was built on the 8 August 1944 and is 6cfm capacity, I will recheck the numbers when I get a chance.