Author Topic: Plate restoring  (Read 3563 times)

steeleye

• Gladstone Qld. Just north of Benaraby
Plate restoring
« on: 22 November, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »
I have had my first attempt at tarting up makers plates. These are for my 1946 A1 Petter I'm working on. I've attached a couple of pics. The big plate was a bit of a disaster but at least it is readable now.  ............cheers Phil
Keepum burnin an turnin

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Re: Plate restoring
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2014, 06:20:04 am »
Hello Phill.
Well done.
So how did yo do it?

Cheers Scott

steeleye

« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2014, 01:26:41 pm »
Gday again Scott. I have been told that if I told anyone I would have to kill them !!!!!!............However... look here instead   https://www.facebook.com/groups/433724170052038/     I hope this is OK with the moderators.
Keepum burnin an turnin

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2014, 08:25:53 pm »
Phil  Hi temperature exhaust spray can. It dries a flattish grey/black colour. I only used it because it's what I had at the time. When finished I put a coat of clear over it. Not super glossy so it looks original.
Now what ?????
I have tried that and put some 600 wet & dry on a piece glass and gently moved the plate to take the paint of the letters worked to a point
What did you do Phil
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

steeleye

« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2014, 10:16:32 pm »
Ian . Go back and read the suggestions fully.............cheers Phil
Keepum burnin an turnin

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2014, 05:18:11 pm »
Great work Phil, The procedure will remain a mystery to me as I don't do Fb so I can't get in without an account  , but Ian's comments give it away a bit.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Peter Short

• Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2014, 06:38:51 pm »
Nice job!

Would someone mind doing a "cut and paste" from the facebook page, please? I can't access it either.

ianoz

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2014, 07:52:03 pm »
Copy and Paste .

Seen by 56
Councillor Phil Pidgeon, Clarke Highwheeler Mayze and 3 others like this.

Phil Spann Thankyou all for all the suggestions.
November 22 at 8:38pm · Like · 1

Akubra Hatman Nice work Philthy
November 22 at 9:03pm · Like

Phil Spann Tah
November 22 at 9:12pm · Like

Tim Bowlzer What paint did you use ?
Yesterday at 3:54am · Like

Phil Spann Hi temperature exhaust spray can. It dries a flattish grey/black colour. I only used it because it's what I had at the time. When finished I put a coat of clear over it. Not super glossy so it looks original.
Yesterday at 1:23pm · Edited · Like
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2014, 07:57:41 pm »
Hi Phil I did read it BUT still wanted to know what you did as the problem I have had is the plates with very small letters as the one above (first picture) so I was looking to see if there was another way
Ian
ONE OF THE FACE BOOK POSTs
 Phil  , I've experimented (with varying degrees of success) and done a couple plates from Model T Coil Boxes and Master Vibrators, but found that the plate had to be completely flat (ie no bends or dents). Cleaned them up with very fine Steel Wool, before cleaning down with acetone / wax and grease remover. I then painted with a coat of gloss black enamel. Let it dry completely, then used very fine Wet & Dry paper and a solid block of wood keeping it completely flat across the surface of the plate. I then gently rubbed back till the brass letters showed through. I haven't clear coated them, but maybe I should have as well. If I get a chance I'll put up a pic of one I've done. Would love to see and hear how others have done this as well. Good luck - hope it works for you.

The other posts are to with cleaning the plate before doing anything
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2014, 09:48:58 pm »
then used very fine Wet & Dry paper and a solid block of wood keeping it completely flat across the surface of the plate.
Hello all.
I use a sheet of glass with sand or emery paper on it. Glass is fairly close to dead flat. Well it's usually flatter then wood.

I use my 10mm sheet of glass for lot of things like flattening small heads and stuff like that that really needs to be flat.
Cheers Scott

steeleye

« Reply #10 on: 24 November, 2014, 10:17:39 pm »
"get a cork sanding block and lay the plate on a flat surface and rub rub rub. DO NOT USE SANDPAPER.
Keep rubbing the high spots with the cork block and watch magic happen. "

It does take time so take your time. Do not lay the paint on too thick otherwise you will be rubbing forever. Clean the cork block now and again with sand paper. When you're happy with it, give it a coat of clear.  Now I've broken a promise and in deep doodoo. Hope it works for you.....cheers Phil
Keepum burnin an turnin