Author Topic: Metters engine starting instructions required  (Read 3060 times)

andrew68

Metters engine starting instructions required
« on: 19 January, 2015, 11:10:03 pm »
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a metters engine. I want to find out the starting procedure for one of these engines.
The one I want to start is a 8-9 hp model vertical.

Combustor

Re: Metters engine starting instructions required
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »
Hello Andrew68,
                         Do not recall Metters as a major engine maker, so it's likely something else rebadged. Its nameplate may show a model number that equates to something else, or someone here may recognise it from your info. Otherwise, see if you can post a photo of it and we may be able to identify it and provide info or manuals to suit, sure someone will help. Regards,
            Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »
Hi Andrew. I have seen two different types of Metters engines. One is a copy of the 'Frisco' Standard vertical and the other is a copy of the 'Friend' engine. It sounds like yours is the 'Frisco' type. Possibly looks something like this:
Patrick
Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

Mick Christie

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »
Not rocket science to start one, the are just a spark ignition petrol engine. Just turn the fuel on, give it some choke and start cranking, I have one and nothing technical about them
    Cheers Mick
collector of exotic american built sideshaft engines in gippsland victoria

andrew68

« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2015, 09:03:02 pm »
Patrick,
The Metters I'm talking about doesn't look completely like this one. It has a flyball governor on the top of it.
Can't remember exactly what it looks like. Do you have a photo of the friend type for comparison?
Otherwise will have to re look at this one and take a photo, but is 80km away from home. (not going there till mid feb)

andrew68

« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2015, 09:07:57 pm »
Just remembered it has metters cast into the base (and is 1 piece with the engine I think, engine and base 1 casting)

Eric Schulz

« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2015, 09:44:37 pm »
Metters built the 8hp Frisco style engine from around 1911 or 12. I don't know how long production lasted.

The Friend copy that Patrick mentioned was a 2hp horizontal, hopper cooled. Metters called it the Nufrend. Production started at about the same time as the vertical, but continued as their spray pump engine into the 30's.

A very interesting quote from the 7 October 1912 Advertiser: "The most important addition to the firms long list of manufactures is their petrol engines. Finding that opinions are much divided as to the merits of the two cycle and the four cycle petrol engine, Metters Limited decided to adopt both types. If one wishes to see a real live engine he would be well advised to inspect the two engines running at Mile End."

We know they didn't have 2 cycles or 4 cycles, but we know they mean 2 stroke and 4 stroke. That is the only reference I have found for a Metters 2 stroke. Anyone have a photo?

The engine photo below was taken at Goolwa quite a while ago.

Eric

andrew68

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:03:55 pm »
Eric,
         This looks more like the Metters i'm talking about. I have been told production was from 1910 to 1912 in Adelaide. Our particular engine was purchased new, and then donated by the original owners to our Society quite a few years years ago. The operator of this engine at our rallies has since passed on years ago. Does anyone know what adjustments are made to start and run one?
   I will hopefully take a couple of photos of our 8-9 hp engine for you all tomorrow as i'm heading over that way then.
Hopefuly want to find out starting procedure before March for our upcoming Rally.