Author Topic: Engines Names  (Read 5045 times)

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Engines Names
« on: 25 April, 2009, 07:03:57 pm »
Hi All
I have come across a number of engine names I not heard of before, all big engines
Walrath 75bhp
Snow
Koreting
R. D. Wood
Cockerill
Nurnberg
Lozier
Haselwander
De La Vergne
Marienfeld
Banki
And a 3000bhp Allis Chamlers
Ian
The book this came out of it dated 1916
« Last Edit: 25 April, 2009, 07:06:24 pm by rustyengines »
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

franco

Re: Engines Names
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2009, 11:37:29 am »
Hi Ian,

The only name in your list which I recognize is Lozier. If the engine is from the same company it would have probably been a marine engine. Harry A Lozier was a bicycle and sewing machine  manufacturer who sold out the business before 1900. With the proceeds he started a new company which built high quality two (and four?) cycle marine engines. After he died in 1903 his son, Harry Junior, who was more interested in cars, moved into the luxury car field. I am not sure how long they kept building marine engines after starting to manufacture cars, but it sounds as though the Lozier in your list could be the same company.

Website

Website

Regards,

Frank

« Last Edit: 27 April, 2009, 10:06:52 am by TOMM's Chris »
Cairns, Queensland

Eric Schulz

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2009, 01:41:43 pm »
Some of those names are new to me too.

An Australian connection is that Austral Otis, Melbourne, were the Hungarian Banki agents back in 1902.

Some of you who look at YouTube (mostly bad quality) would have seen the big Snow engine, Cockerill and
De La Vergne videos

Quite a few of the other makes can be found with a Google search.

Eric
« Last Edit: 30 April, 2009, 08:02:34 pm by Eric Schulz »

Peter Short

• Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:12:33 am »
A few brief comments about some of the names:

Some of those names are well documented and are often found in engine books. For example Nurnberg was the 'world leader' in building large gas engines in the early 1900's, and their designs were also used by other engine builders, e.g. Allis-Chalmers etc. In my 1909 booklet Large Gas-Engine Design (Lindsay reprint) there were 28 companies building very large gas-engines (i.e. over 1,000 hp), Nurnberg heads the list for most engines sold.

(I am pretty sure Nurnberg was actually the company known as M.A.N. Two seperate companies from Augsburg and Nurnberg became M.A.N in 1898, but they remained as seperate divisions with engines known by their original names as they made different designs for many years.)

John Cockerill of Seraing, Belgium is a famous name to anyone reading about iron, steel, steam engine building etc - they were (are) one of Europes great industrial companies, and were reknown for their steam engines from early days, they even had an interest in internal combustion engines as early as 1863 (Barsanti and Matteucci) as a competitor to Lenoir. Cockerill was one of the first companies to build engines to run on blast furnace gas - their four-stroke design was running in 1898. Cockerill built the French Simplex engines, I think this design was used in their gas and blast furnace gas engines.

Lyle Cummins book Internal Fire is excellent for this sort of info, it says that by 1900 a single cylinder of 1,300mm bore x 1,400mm stroke was developing 600 bhp at 90 rpm on blast furnace gas. (Junkers (with Oechelhauser) got his start designing two-stroke opposed piston engines to burn blast furnace gas, the first running in 1896).

Snow was another company reknown for their steam pumping engines, they sucessfully moved into internal combustion engines and were builders of massive gas engines.

Korting was another reknown German builder of engines. It is interesting to read in Internal Fire that they were (in)famous for over-turning Otto's patents in Germany (held by Deutz). Korting took Otto to court using the Beau de Rochas tract of 1862 which suggests the idea for a four-stroke cycle. And so the Otto patents were overthrown in Germany, and Korting and others were able to charge ahead with four stroke engines too.

According to Internal Fire, De La Vergne Machine Co. of New York City aquired the US rights to the Akroyd Stuart patents from Hornsby in 1893. Hornsby sent one of their engineers to New York to introduce Hornsby shop practises, and De La Vergne became the most sucessful four-stroke oil engine in the US during that era.

Professor Banki offered a high compression petrol (and later oil) engine design, built by Ganz & Co, Budapest from 1894. It boasted a startling high compression ratio (6.5:1) and efficiency (28%), this being achieved by water injection - lots of it. Lyle Cummins suggests the large amount of water used may have been a handicap to this design. I wonder what Banki design was being offered by 1916? (As the following post shows, this book was very out of date in 1916)
« Last Edit: 27 April, 2009, 08:29:59 pm by Peter Short »

Peter Short

• Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2009, 04:48:30 pm »
I have been browsing through Lyle Cummins excellent Diesel’s Engine, looking for information on some of the other names. Ian’s book appears to have been out of date by 1916 on a few of these designs.

-Friedrich Haselwander was the first to eliminate Diesel’s air injection compressor. He was granted his first patent in 1897, where the piston itself created the air pressure needed for atomisation and combustion. He was the first to use what became known as the “open nozzle” injection.

Deutz took out a license for the Haselwander design (to evade the Diesel patents) and sold about 190 of these engines from 1904 to 1906. They were not a great success, starting was always difficult (low compression) and the blast passage between cylinder and nozzle would frequently carbon up.

-Gustav Trinkler was an engineer from Hanover who in 1901 patented a system for injecting fuel into a diesel engine without an external air compressor. I don’t exactly understand the system, but it used an “open nozzle” and a small piston in the cylinder head which was actuated by cylinder pressure to inject the fuel.

Gebruder Korting AG, also of Hanover, took a license for the Trinkler design in 1904, this was to get around the diesel patents. Korting built only 54 of these Trinkler-Korting engines from 1904 to 1907, then the Diesel patents expired and they were able to drop the troublesome Trinkler.

BTW, Korting began making vertical 2-stroke gas engines in 1881 and four-strokes from 1887. By 1900 they were selling both 2 and 4 strokes, double-acting and running on blast furnace gas. In 1904 they had a 2 cylinder engine producing 2,000 bhp at 80 rpm (800 x 1,400mm bore and stroke). Korting built vaporising oil engines for Germany’s first U-boats, and then also built many diesel sub engines. The company was bankrupt by 1932.

-A little more info on Snow - The Snow Pump Works began in 1889 building steam powered pumps for Standard Oil. Then in 1900 they started building gas engine-compressor units. They merged with Holly in 1902, a well-known name in steam pumping engines. Snow-Holley is reckoned to have built the first American-designed horizontal diesel engine in 1912, a four-stroke single cylinder of 110 bhp. From 1899 Snow was part of the International Steam Pump Co. group. After 1914 this group took the name Worthington after is most prominent member.

« Last Edit: 27 April, 2009, 04:54:58 pm by Peter Short »