Author Topic: BSA Power Unit 120cc  (Read 7254 times)

Dick

BSA Power Unit 120cc
« on: 21 June, 2015, 07:34:24 pm »
Hello to everybody,i have a number of Villiers motors that I have restored with great success but I also have a BSA Power Unit 120cc stationary motor that is giving me a bit of a problem,i am unsure how to remove the camshaft so that I can then remove the crankshaft.I have removed the metal cap on the outside of the motor on the camshaft axle and found what looks like a small shaft inserted in to the axle and then a small recess with a pin inserted into that shaft,the problem is that I can't get anything to move even though the camshaft turns freely on this shaft/pin.Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.Regards Dick.

winchester

Re: BSA Power Unit 120cc
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2015, 08:35:50 pm »
Dick  I dont know if you have ever had anything to do with WASP  engines [ West Australian Steel Products]. I was an apprentice at WASP in the fifties . The engine was more or less a copy of the BSA Industrial  engine ,possibly the same model as yours . From memory the camshaft rotated on a  shaft that was held in place by two Alluminium plugs ,one at each end of the shaft. It was a case of removing one plug and knocking the shaft through ,which knocked out the other plug .
In any case I think I have a manual for the BSA engine ,I'll see if I can find it .

Dick

« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2015, 10:36:56 am »
Hello yes this has only the one plug on the one side and I am unsure if the pin goes right through the centre of the camshaft axle or not.

winchester

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:47:55 pm »
Look I'm sorry i have not found that manual for the BSA .....I know I have it ,just moved into a new house so you will understand , I'll be have ing another good look tomorrow.

Dick

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2015, 06:37:11 pm »
Thank you for your time I may have to go to one of the old mower repairers around town and see if they can help.Regards Dick.

winchester

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2015, 11:23:04 pm »
Dick .....at last I have found the book, it was on my bookshelf !!!! Anyway unfortunately it is for the 320 cc engine .....possibly just a bigger version of your 120 cc engine . I may have the same engine as yours somewhere in my shed I 'll have a look tomorrow .

On the 320 cc engine the  camshaft spindle is pressed into the crankcase and held in place with a cotter pin that locates in the valve chest. This may be completely to your engine .....if I have a 120 cc model I' ll let you know .       

winchester

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2015, 12:41:57 pm »
Dick ......I am sorry for giving you false hope . I dont have in my shed an engine like yours but if it is any help I can scan you some extracts from the book I have ...if you want me to lets have your email .

Dick

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2015, 08:04:18 pm »
Hello Eric,i haven,t taken the camshaft out of the motor yet as I am just waiting for some advice.I did not receive that attachment you sent me, if you could send it again please to dickandjenny@bigpond.com that would be great,once again thank you for your time.Regards Dick.

Dick

« Reply #8 on: 29 June, 2015, 08:40:55 pm »
Hello Eric thank you for the diagram that you sent but my motor is different to this one I have only one exsposed end of the camshaft axle that was covered with a cap,the other side is just engine casting with no access.I can now see that it is an axle but how to extract it, is a problem.Imay be able to clean the crankshaft bearing on the effected side and replace the oil seal if it go's in from the outside and then I won't have to take the camshaft out.Could you send your email as this is the only way I can talk to you.Regards Dick.