Author Topic: Souther Cross pump jack  (Read 20179 times)

ince

Re: Souther Cross pump jack
« Reply #30 on: 18 November, 2016, 01:51:34 am »
Thank you, Rustyengines, that info is most useful.  I won't have much lift or head, probably only 30 feet in all.  It will be good to give the EFE something useful to do!

ince

« Reply #31 on: 29 November, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »
I am still on the search for several parts for a Southern Cross HD-C (4" stroke) pump jack.

The parts I need are:
HD-C 36. Packing box flange
HD-C 38. Packing box clamp

Can anyone help me with sketches, with dimensions, of these two parts, please, so I can make casting patterns?

Secondly, when the pump jack is used in conjunction with a windmill, does the brass 1/2" pump rod coming out of the top of the pump jack screw into the clamp that bolts onto the wooden pump rod?  This clamp is to be unbolted from the wooden pump rod when the windmill is to operate the pump.

I am planning to set up my pump jack under an 8 foot IZ mill, with a syphon pump.

Looking forward to hearing from you, at your convenience.

Thanking you.

Kind regards

David Ince
Avenel. 3664

winchester

« Reply #32 on: 30 November, 2016, 12:44:58 am »
Yes well not knowing to what use you intend putting your windmill to could I suggest that you do away with a packing box or gland . depending on what your pumping into why not extend the discharge pipe above,  let us assume here that it is a tank and have a spill pipe outlet. If you must have a packing box ,then again extend your  discharge pipe and packing box as high as you can up the tower this combined  with the spill pipe,will reduce the pressure on the packing box.
To answer your initial question ,there are three methods used to attach the round brass or galvanised   pump rod to the square hardwood timber rod. Remembering that there must be a swivel fitting. The simplest attachment is by fish plates and bolts . Next is steel ball and socket joints. The best is the Aluminium/Bronze joint which has square shoulders and is much stronger that the previous two. Of course galvanised pipe rods can also be used . As I understand it you have not yet obtained a pump jack.

ince

« Reply #33 on: 30 November, 2016, 08:13:29 am »
Thank you, Wintergoose, for your detailed reply.

I do have a syphon pump - an IBC which came with a brand new Alderice brass pump and packing box, which came with my mill

My project is to pump from a well, dug into the old sand bed of a creek that is now relocated itself about 100 yards away.  The water table in the well seems pretty consistent with the level of the active creek, which flows on the surface all year round, normally, but has sub surface flows in the summer if the surface flow stops.  The mill is to lift the water into a tank about 100 yards away, with about 30 feet lift/head in total.

My pump jack is fully enclosed and hence I am not sure about extending the discharge pipe above it to a spill pipe?  My plan is to cap off either the tee piece which is part of the pump jack (it is at the base plate) or the outlet from the syphon pump.  The down stroke of the mill will force the water into either of those outlets, and hence to the tank.

I note your comment about the need for a swivel on the pump rod from the mill head - a point I had overlooked, but then, is there not one built into the pump motor?  I need to investigate that.

Having said all this, I am doing this for fun!  We now live on the edge of town, with town water, which probaly will cost a fraction of all this energy and worry!  Still, it gives my wife and daughters something to jibe me about, when they are not questioning why I would be restoring two Versatile tractors!

winchester

« Reply #34 on: 30 November, 2016, 09:39:16 am »
Yes well there are several points to remember when installing a syphon pump. Firstly though, possibly like yourself, I too, like windmills ,I exist entirely on rain water,I do have a bore which produces good potable water,however water from the ''Heavens''is my lifeblood.
As I have a  spring fed soak that i have enlarged now to a sizable dam my windmill is used only to circulate water via a small holding tank back to the dam . The mill pumps to the  elevated tank having a head of  about six metres over a distance of approx 100 meters. There is one non return valve but no air vessel , overflow returns through a buried pipe by gravity. The small holding tank [900 ltrs] is used to water a vegetable garden via a timed electric pump. So like you,.
 the mill is a plaything in reality.
In my situation I am drawing surface water and my pump is also a syphon pump ,I have converted it to a compensating pump [ that is another story and has been dissected ad nauseam on an other forum]
So returning to your situation....Southern Cross recommend that a Syphon Pump be used when drawing surface water .Although they do say that the same pump will work efficiently if placed verticaly up to 20 ft above the water, in your case your syphon pump may suit your project
It may well be worth investigating if it is possible to extend your discharge higher up the tower keeping the spill piece at a level so that it discharges into your tank . This will do away with the need of a packing box or gland .
In your case I dont quite understand ....you say that you want a pump jack . If your mill is intact then the head will have geared drive pump jack working the pump rod ...forgive me if I have misunderstood.
To digress ............I have the remnants of a second tower , I intend making another mill using a obsolete Sonnerdale reduction box as the geared drive for a pump rod .
Please keep us informed as to the progress of your project.

ince

« Reply #35 on: 16 December, 2016, 01:02:23 pm »
Winchestergoose,  I do enjoy your detailed discussions!  My project is to set up an operating windmill, with asyphon (forse) pump, pumping from a shallow well/sand spear to a garden tank.  In addition, I intend to set up my pump jack above the syphon pump, to demonstrate the alternative to a windmill when wind is scarce.  I understand that I will need to disconnect the pump rod, connected to the mill motor, just above the pump jack, when I want operate the pump jack, and when I reconnect it, I must turn the pump jack to a particular position so the mill motor can operate the syphon pump without damaging the pump jack.  My wife still thinks turning on a tap and accessing town water is much smarter!  She is probably correct, as usual, but where is the fun in that?!

Rustyengines, can you suggest a source for a gasket set for my SX EFE - it is oozing a bit of oil and I would like to make it look a bit sweeter, and cleaner?

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #36 on: 16 December, 2016, 07:51:18 pm »
How do you send a PM when this is the reply

User 'ince' has blocked your personal message.

Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

winchester

« Reply #37 on: 18 December, 2016, 08:27:48 pm »
Yes well Ince I too like reading my posts and you are to be commended in your interest in windmills ......Just loosening the clamp on the pump rod and turing the pump jack over will locate the fixing position .............if you wish to be cautious then just move the rod up an inch or so and it will not foul the bottom of the cylinder.

winchester

« Reply #38 on: 19 December, 2016, 11:09:00 am »
Yes well Ince ,I have attached an image of my windmill ,you can not beat the serenity of the scene .Also the pump which i prefer to describe as a ''Compensating Pump'' others may disagree.

ince

« Reply #39 on: 19 December, 2016, 08:37:09 pm »
winchestergoose, yes serene, and such a big sky!  Thank you for the picture also, of your pump setup.

I have found someone at Nhill who may have the bits I am looking for.  I am to contact him after New Year.

Something odd seems to have happend with Rustengines's reply on 16 December.  Can anyone explain, please?

winchester

« Reply #40 on: 19 December, 2016, 08:49:06 pm »
Yes well Ince you may have noticed that my pump has no stuffing box or gland ........it pumps over a distance of more than one hundred metres and it has a modest head.
I hope you are able to obtain the bits you want.
I recall that one of the members mentioned that he had a SC catalogue dated 1936 , I have two one dated 1930 ,the other I can't locate at the moment but I do recall it is a later edition............very interesting reading.

rustyengines

« Reply #41 on: 19 December, 2016, 09:00:00 pm »
Hi ince tried sending again and got block, might be something to with your setting have sent the message to winchestergoose to see if he can send it to you
Ian

winchester

« Reply #42 on: 19 December, 2016, 09:25:37 pm »
Yes well I too have my PM to Ince  blocked ....could you please have this attended to.

ince

« Reply #43 on: 20 December, 2016, 01:21:17 am »
Hopefully, I have cleared the impediment to me receiving PMs.

rustyengines

« Reply #44 on: 20 December, 2016, 12:02:32 pm »
Message sent did not get thrown back at me you did it  all fixed now  :)
Ian