Author Topic: engine identitiy  (Read 15266 times)

ropestart

Re: engine identitiy
« Reply #15 on: 26 November, 2015, 06:07:00 pm »
winchestergoose if you google regcraft boat there is article there about them also google regcraft dingy bit more there too regards rob

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #16 on: 26 November, 2015, 07:33:52 pm »
Hello all.
This has to be of interest to those looking for the engine/leg combo.
How does a Tiger Victa motor and a Regcraft overdrive from around 1963 sound?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1301&dat=19630308&id=fYRWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1OUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4734,1967834&hl=en

Cheers Scott

winchester

« Reply #17 on: 26 November, 2015, 11:19:27 pm »
Thanks Ropestart and Scot your help has added to what sketchy info I have managed to get . From what I can see the Victa Tiger engine was fitted to the plywood hulls that boat builder Reg Craft made . Who made the alloy leg is still unknown ,perhaps Reg Craft sub let it out to a local foundry ,someone must have made the pattern...who ,would be good to know, it is quite a good casting. I have contacted VICTA  but I did not get much information from them , I would have thought they would have something in their archives .
As I have a what I believe is a VICTA  Jet I was told by Victa  that the jet attachment was not a success and was eventually replaced with an out board attachment. I also contacted Riley's Boat Fittings in Carlton NSW as it was suggested they may have info on Reg Craft . I spoke to Bill Riley but he was unable to help. I am also waiting for the research dept of the Australian Maritime museum to respond.
Meanwhile I will proceed in restoring the unit.

Combustor

« Reply #18 on: 27 November, 2015, 01:18:04 am »
          Still trying to associate the "Tiger" name with a Victa model. Don't recall it on a mower, but may have been a label they put on other "industrial" engines sold for various purposes. They sold them with a straight keyed shaft for pulley drives, made a modified Go-kart model and I even saw a later (160cc I think) motor on a basic ultralight aircraft that would get a light jockey airborne on a good day.
         Thanks to all who have helped with information about this unit.  Vaguely recall an article in the Victa Dealers newsletter about guys on the NSW coast who had a Victa powered surf ski they built and would venture offshore on it. Probably helps if you are eighteen and invincible. Regards,
        Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

AusAnzani

« Reply #19 on: 27 November, 2015, 12:25:09 pm »
          Still trying to associate the "Tiger" name with a Victa model. Don't recall it on a mower, but may have been a label they put on other "industrial" engines sold for various purposes. They sold them with a straight keyed shaft for pulley drives, made a modified Go-kart model and I even saw a later (160cc I think) motor on a basic ultralight aircraft that would get a light jockey airborne on a good day.
         Thanks to all who have helped with information about this unit.  Vaguely recall an article in the Victa Dealers newsletter about guys on the NSW coast who had a Victa powered surf ski they built and would venture offshore on it. Probably helps if you are eighteen and invincible. Regards,
        Combustor.

From what  understand the Tiger was the industrial version of the standard (at the time) Victa 125cc. To that end, I believe it was a Victa product. We need member Cobbadog to chime in here.

Winchestergoose, you're making good progress, you haven't given up, and eventually you will bring this thing back to its former glory. That's what matters most.

Sourcing 'quality' information on any Vintage Australian Outboard is never easy. In fact it's difficult at the very least and impossible in many cases. Unfortunately we didn't document our history as well as the yanks did theirs.

AusAnzani

« Reply #20 on: 27 November, 2015, 12:49:54 pm »
Combuster, just found this http://www.outdoorking.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=52936 on the Victa Tiger.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #21 on: 27 November, 2015, 08:30:51 pm »
This in info is also on Vintage Mowers as I also put it there
Ian
http://www.vintagemowers.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Combustor

« Reply #22 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:45:33 pm »
          Thanks for the links to the Victa Tiger pages, lots of good info there, time I did some more reading. Regards,

Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

winchester

« Reply #23 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:05:02 am »
Thanks to all for the links to Victa and the Tiger engine. So far that's about as far as I can get,I know it's early days. The engine side of it is solved but bu who was Reg Craft ,was there such a person or was it just a name dream't up by someone named Reg ? I'd like to know who made the cast alloy leg . Ive rung a few people named Craft but no luck there.

AusAnzani

« Reply #24 on: 30 November, 2015, 12:07:18 pm »
See below article from "Power Boat & Yachting Magazine, June 1962".

All credit goes to Saving Old Seagulls forum member "Croweater".

The next challenge is to find out whether these I/O units were exclusive to RegCraft or made available to others also.

Slowly but surely ......

Regards,

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #25 on: 30 November, 2015, 05:03:28 pm »
Great information turning up on this topic.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

AusAnzani

« Reply #26 on: 30 November, 2015, 05:30:41 pm »
Great information turning up on this topic.

That's the benefit of "sharing the love" cobba. With Peters approval I posted the image of his I/O unit on The Board and on Saving Old Seagulls. This sort of stuff generates a bit of interest, tends to get people doing their own searches and in some cases, it  jogs a few memories. I find most people on the forums are happy to help out.

Regards,

winchester

« Reply #27 on: 30 November, 2015, 07:43:10 pm »
I'd like to thank croweater for providing that information ,just about everything I need to know on that article .Thank you Rob for getting that going. I have started on the restoration ,hoples 'I should finish others first but it is such an interesting little unit got to get it finished.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #28 on: 01 December, 2015, 06:17:18 am »
Hello all.
You'll need a boat after the engine/leg are finished.

Cheers Scott

AusAnzani

« Reply #29 on: 01 December, 2015, 10:25:08 am »
I'd like to thank croweater for providing that information ,just about everything I need to know on that article .

I will pass that on.

Regards,
Spiro