Author Topic: Southern Cross filter  (Read 3066 times)

winnock

Southern Cross filter
« on: 26 November, 2015, 10:23:05 pm »
I am wondering if a spare fuel filter in a storage tube is a an item commonly supplied with an engine or is it a rare and sought after accessory. The one shown below came with a very original YB a friend in New Zealand has acquired.
Hugh
Diesel fuel injection equipment & vintage windmills.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Re: Southern Cross filter
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2015, 08:12:31 am »
Hello Hugh.
According to the Fig. 2137 book for the YB the filter in the tube was a spare part supplied by Southern Cross with each engine
The spare parts list is quite extensive in comparison to what you get now with an engine.
Is it rare? I have no idea but I would not say no if one popped up at the local auction. Anything with Southern Cross embossed in it is sort after no matter what it is it seems.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a YB now and I have been pondering the filter delema I have. Do I make a new cloth for the filter or do I try and adapt a paper element to fit where the cloth filter goes? Has anyone got any idea of what sort of cloth that could be used as a filter?

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2015, 11:28:21 am »
I just tried to magnify the filter to get an idea on the cloth. It started to pixelate out so can't really tell. Dee makes curtains for me when she is not nursing and at first glance of what I see it looks like a light weight canvas which is still available. Put on your sun glasses and a skirt and visit the local Spotlight store and try to match it. I think that calico would work and is really cheap but look at all different types of fabric on display. If you think that calico will work for you I might have some out in the sewing room you can have, just need an amount. It appears to attach quite simply by tying some twine around it but I would use some copper wire.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Combustor

« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2015, 11:59:44 am »
           Had a similar filter in the end of the block on my BE-C and replaced the fabric with some heavy cotton denim style shirt material. Because the engine was going back to work, I put a modern CAV style filter in series to be sure, as I suspect those old filters relied more on gravity to settle out water and gunk than on the cloth screen.
         On another engine I have hidden a larger disposable inline filter from a modern car, in series with the original and reckon I will not have to change it again. Sure you can devise something. Regards,
        Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

winnock

« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2015, 11:26:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies. The spare parts box sounds very comprehensive. Perhaps Southern Cross took the idea from Gardner. I recall the filter cloths that CAV supplied for their early filters. I think they were a fine cotton material but any fine cloth should be suitable providing it is clean. I agree the paper filter is the way to go for an engine that is to be put to work but for rally use the original should be adequate. Remember a filter is only as good as the seals at the ends of the cartridge.
Hugh

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2015, 03:11:09 pm »
Hi combustor, what was the make and type of remote oil filter you used please?

Combustor

« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2015, 07:40:55 pm »
Hi Cobbadog,
                     Sorry if there is some confusion, the filter in the block of my BE-C is a fuel filter, think it helps to pre-heat fuel. I think the series filter I added was the common Lucas/CAV/Delphi filter, takes the common CAV 296 cartridge, costs $6 or $7 most places.
        The other engine got an inline metal body filter hidden away, think it fitted many fuel injected Falcons, and is twice as big as most of the common small plastic ones. Seems to work fine. Hope this helps,
        Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 30 November, 2015, 05:17:02 pm »
Cheers mate, thanks for that. I have just done the same on my CD Lister, I know that it is a new style of filter/water trap but I don't mind. I am still in 2 minds about installing a remote engine oil filter and a few blokes have offered me some details of what should do the job for me.

winnock

« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2015, 09:42:44 pm »
Speaking to a collector today who has restored several YBs. He uses a water filter that is available from pump shops. The filter has to be shortened and he adds a seal washer. Don't know how efficient a water filter would be with diesel fuel but it would be worth investigating.
Hugh