Author Topic: repairing old iron  (Read 3046 times)

sunshine man

repairing old iron
« on: 27 November, 2015, 11:57:56 pm »
Hi guys
             Thought you like to see some of my handy work, sure this a late model race engine block that had a con rod which parted company with the crankshaft.this is why I like old iron with the many problems these throw at you to complete their restorations , old cast iron blocks like the above create thier own problems even though this would be my first approach (welding) on new cast iron .I would use welding as the last option .on vintage iron.Making an insert to fit the hole and metal stitching it into place  would be my first choice, no heat no stress and no risk of cracking sometimes unweldable iron, when finished you have a perfect repair no one could pick

Sunshineman

Kim S

Re: repairing old iron
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2015, 07:32:26 pm »
Nice repair, is it metalock or locknstitch or some other process ?

sunshine man

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2015, 09:54:09 pm »
Hi kim s ,
                I welded this with tig , I use helium gas as the shielding gas instead of argon  it gives you the ability to put your heat right where you want it  . As stated before I would metal stitch old  iron not weld it .if I did weld old iron  I would use stick or oxy and sometimes brazing . The pictured repair is all weld no added pieces only because it's quicker .thanks for the comment
           Sunshineman

wee-allis

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2015, 01:07:43 pm »
Hello you little ray of Sunshine,

Love your work. Although I don't doubt you for a minute, that's a big repair to do without any added pieces.  Bet it wasn't finished before smoko.

Cheers, Steve.

If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

sunshine man

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »
Hi steve ,
                3 hours from start to finish , if I make a bit to fit the hole it would take longer because you have to make a nice shaped hole and then cut out a piece to fit .prep the hole and the piece on both sides, align , tack into place, then weld into place both sides
                     Sunshineman

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:53:01 pm »
What's it like having a talent like that?
Bloody great repair, well done.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

sunshine man

« Reply #6 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:36:02 pm »
 Hi cobbadog
                      Thanks for the kind words . The main reason I posted photos is to show that any thing is possible (I have done much worse than this ) . I get frustrated by people in today's engineering shops (can't be done, too hard, not worth it , etc, etc )  I believe where there is a will ther is a way .if some one made it 100 years ago on belt driven machines and dirt floors, surely with cnc hi tech machinery you should be able to make the same part without any problems at all
             Sunshineman

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2015, 03:48:38 pm »
Around here "where there is a will, there is a death"
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.