Author Topic: Nuffield M4  (Read 13032 times)

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Nuffield M4
« on: 11 April, 2016, 09:10:54 am »
Hello all
By now most reader to this section would know about Nuff Nuff the 1953 M4 Nuffield that was kindly 'donated' to our collection by a top bloke by the name of Mark.
Well Nuff is at her new home outside of Warwick and some preliminary appraisals have been conducted on her. I've been a bit slow on this as I've been crook all over Easter and then the bore had 'issues' which were fixed by a crane truck and cash.
So far:
Overall:
I pumped the flat front tyre up and it's still up so at least I can move her around.
She starts quite easily and all gears work (but noisy but I think that's them) and she goes like the clappers in 5th gear. The belt pulley and 3 point linkage also work but unable to check the remote hydraulics yet.
The bad:
-The steering is crook. When I drove her and hit a bump the steering would take ages for the 'slop' to take up once I start turning the steering wheel. Hence dangerous at any speed after walking pace. It looks as though only 1 joint is really bad but a better look is needed. It appears the wear is inside a joint. Pictures of that joint below.
-The radiator is crook. Water dribbles out faster then it dribbles out of me when I'm crook and sleeping. radiator is now out as of yesterday arvo and needs assessing. It seems as though it's a easy fix.
-The water pump has a small dribble.
-The carbi and exhaust is all wrong. The original TVO carbi has been taken off. Both the manifolds have been turned upside down and a Stromberg carbi (complete with well worn linkages and sloppy butterfly shaft) has been fitted. The bonnet does not close with the muffler and air cleaner on so this has to change.
-The brakes don't work.
-Oil in the rear is milky but I have a funny feeling most have milky oil due to condensation in such a large area.
-It looks as though she has a steering wheel off an Austin or similar. It has those thin wire spokes that flex so easily. Not good on Nuff as you use the steering wheel to get on and off.
-Linkage to carbi is loose and she does not idle back. Something needs to be done very soon.
-PTO shaft is always engaged. This is bad, really bad and needs to be addressed very soon as it is exposed.
The good:
-Engine is smooth with no rattles, bangs or knocks.
-She's mobile
-She steers a bit even if it is just a bit
-She's pretty well complete with next to no rust in the panels
-Oil pressure gauge works and shows 60-70lbs
-Most things work.
-Nuff gives the 'locals' something else to laugh about. Nuff and I (mainly me with all the old crap) are a bit of a joke in the land of the bigger acreages around here. A small petrol tractor is 70hp and everybody buys new, and not nearly 60 years old. Diesel powered is a given.
I put that point in the the good list as it is good. Everyone needs a good laugh whilst shaking their heads, even if it is at me.  :o ;D

So some pictures.
Cheers Scott

With a rear end that big Nuff was nearly going to be renamed to Joicey.

Do you reckon this tyre will last long? This was the flat one

This steering joint has wear in the middle of it somewhere. It's just near the axle pivot

Mitzy, one of the hayshed pusses, seems to enjoy her new sunning spot.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Nuffield M4
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2016, 04:05:37 pm »
Poor Nuff Nuff is going to be renamed!!!!
I'm glad that it looks so promising now. The list of repairs / adjustments is not too bad really. Something that surprised me was that the locking pin for the 3 point linkage is not broken, this seems to be broken on most Nuff Nuffs. I'm sure somewhere an original carby can be found and fitted and as for the front tyre, take it back for warranty. This tyres looks like it failed due to incorrect temperature during manufacturing. What you can see is the overlap of the rubber when being wound on in the building up of the compound layers. Mitzy looks as if she has taken possession of Nuff Nuff for the moment. As for the PTO being engaged all the time this may correct itself once oil starts getting back into places where it needs to go. I agree about the steering wheel but some super Cropmasters had a similar steering wheel to what you have. There is also another option of a similar steering wheel and that is the same style but the wires were replaced with flat metal.
Great machine, love it!
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

ianoz

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2016, 07:48:57 pm »
Ahhh , Scotty , Good to see you have finally seen the light .
Tractors Rule LOL
OK , A steering Wheel . Ebay .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Nuffield-Tractor-Steering-Wheel-10-42-10-60-3-42-3DL-4-60-4DM-QUALITY-PART-/321887910352?hash=item4af203b9d0:g:zT8AAOSwI-BWFp1f
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

Scott

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2016, 07:25:30 am »
Poor Nuff Nuff is going to be renamed!!!!
Hello all
It's not written in stone yet Cobba. Sally was on the table until we realised the 'width' of the rear end when we saw the pictures. Sally Field is an iddy biddy thing and the Nuffield is anything but iddy biddy across it's girth. Some would say this Nufflield has a 'fat @rse" as compared to other M4's or Universal 4's due to the tyre size.
Joicey is a lady we know with such a 'girth' but it may cause 'conflict' if the reason for naming the tractor Joicey became apparent.

The list of things to do is quite good I feel. Nothing seems to be too major in fixing. In order of difficulty I think tracking down the original type of carbi and aircleaner will be number one followed by steering.
Due to the relative good condition of the tinwear and overall tidy appearance I don't think the tractor will get painted. A good tidy up of wiring, a good cleanup in general and some badges may do her for the moment appearance wise.

The front tyres are expensive in comparison to the ones on Freddy. 7.50-18's work out at about $200 each around here. I have sourced some at about $170 in Brisbane but my little brother is seeing if any can be sourced through his suppliers.

The PTO is engaged all the time because the selector fork and sleeve were worn out. Mark told me about this. He had a sleeve made so the PTO would work but the ability to engage/disengage was lost. I'll simply take the sleeve out until parts can be found (hopefully)

We've always wanted an older tractor Ian. We have Freddy but he's not old enough yet. He's a late 60's model. The neighbour (the one who laughs loudest at me) wants to give me a Case L but, until we get a bigger shed, it can stay in his shed. I'm working on it a little at a time and at the moment I have some 'soaky stuff' soaking into the crank handle housing to try and free it up. The crank handle doesn't turn so I thought that would be job number 1  ???
Years ago I had a W4 and did a bad thing. I sold it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. But it went to a good home. We also have Helga, the Heston 110, but she's too wide for the road....and a bitch to drive any distance, so she'll stay on the farm and do her job of cutting the hay.
We've been working towards participating in tractor treks and, after meeting people like Rex and his lovely wife in Toowoomba, this had become a bit of a priority which would happen after a few other things had sorted themselves out. So when Mark offered his Nuffield we simply had to change a few things as opportunities, such as the one he was offering, are simply too good to pass up on.  It may take a bit of time to get the old girl up to scratch, as we still have other things higher in the priority list, but they will happen.
All I want at the moment is make the tractor safe to start and run without worrying about water levels and running off the track. One advantage of that is I'll have time to look for parts. It amases me how parts pop up when your not really looking for them. I got a light for the back and a light for the front last week at our local junk auction. $2 for a box of lights and mirrors. Bargain.  8)

Today will see how good/bad the radiator is and the oil filter cartridge will be taken out to find a new one. Hopefully.
Ooh, forgot to mention Ian. Agco seems to have parts for Nufflields according to the web.

I've ordered a manual off ebay. Hopefully it'll get here soon. It might tell me what's inside that steering joint before I pull it apart.

Cheers Scott
I was looking at spots to build another shelter Cobba. A lean to on the back of the double bay seems to be the go. We're seriously running out of room but don't tell 'The Brains' of this outfit.  ;D

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2016, 05:13:06 pm »
Sounds like you are still "moving forward" as someone used to say all the time. Sounds like you are keen on the tractor treks like we are and for us having a 2 seater is a huge bonus otherwise you need 2 tractors for both of you to go. (bigger shed again). You can duplicate the Kensington Palace out the back for expansion, I don't have any copy rights on it. Great buying with the lights too.

Scott

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2016, 05:37:32 pm »
Hello all
I've been a bit slack on Sally (sorry Cobba) as I've had another small project pop up willy nilly.
But never fear.......progress has been made. The manual on a disk has turned up and I found another version of the manual on the idiotnet to read and a steering wheel has been ordered through our friendly local AGCO dealer. $62 from their parts desk. You should have seen the look on the young fella's face when I went in and told him I wanted to order a steering wheel for a 1953 M4 Nuffield.....and gave him a part number....and he found it in their computer system.....and it was available...... and it was in Brisbane. It was so funny   ;D
Tomorrow I might see about the radiator even though it is Sunday.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2016, 02:28:28 pm »
There is a couple of tractor places in Taree but 1 is far better than the other. As there are a heap of restorers in the district they just roll their eyes every time one of us enter the spare parts department wondering what obscure part we want this time.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2016, 05:00:45 pm »
Just had a wicked thought (again) about those twin Webbers and Nuff Nuff.
Need I say more!

famous fitter

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2016, 08:25:08 am »
Twin Webber Carbs......?? I know a Bloke with a 351 Ford Cleveland in his............... man does it get moving !!!! Imagine raking hay at 50mph ??
It has been known to smoke its tyres on the odd occasion.

We now know all the weak points in the Nuffield rear end.

Cheers Justin

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2016, 04:03:36 pm »
Saw a YouTube video using a 4 cylinder Volvo with turbo smoking the rears up over in Sweden or that area.

Scott

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2016, 05:12:17 pm »
Twin Webber Carbs......?? I know a Bloke with a 351 Ford Cleveland in his............... man does it get moving !!!! Imagine raking hay at 50mph ??
It has been known to smoke its tyres on the odd occasion.

We now know all the weak points in the Nuffield rear end.

Cheers Justin
Hello all
I've been really slack with Sally. Too many other projects jump out screaming to be done. Well, to be honest, I needed to tidy a few things up before I could get enough bench space to repair Sally's radiator. It's getting to the stage I could not get to the bench let alone work there. :-\

So where are the weak spots in Sally's butt Justin?
When you think about it, these old Nuffields lend themselves for other engines to be chucked in. And thinking about it a bit further, there's a couple of 253's in the shed. Chuck one of those in and near double the horsepower. From 38 to 68 ;D. Sally still would not be able to pull the skin of a rice puddin' after all that I'd say.   :'(

I haven't even picked up the new steering wheel. Gees I'm slack.

Cheers Scott
PS: Why does the grass keep growing?

Scott

« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2016, 05:35:55 pm »
Hello all
I picked the steering wheel up in Friday. 2 weeks to get it when I was told 3 days. All because the parts person forgot to order it.
And then I looked at the invoice when I cleaned to car out a while ago and the bill was $78.94. I was quoted $62 2 weeks ago. It doesn't sound like much difference but a quote is a quote. I was quoted $68 from Toowoomba and I should have dealt with them as I have dealt with them in the past and the service is brilliant. I was trying to do the right thing by a local dealership just starting out. Never again I'm afraid. They've lost me and I won't mind telling people.

Cheers Scott
PS: I have to learn to look an invoice before I pay it.  :-\

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2016, 05:44:31 pm »
I would still be asking for the excess payment back and let them know about the quote.

low compression

« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2016, 08:17:07 pm »
Hi Scott My knowledge of Nuffields is just about nil, our sharefarmer had one ,(bought new) they seemed satisfied with it except for the bush under the radiator in the steering. It did not last long and was a cow to replace. JR

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2016, 08:11:11 am »
Any more progress on Nuff Nuff?