Author Topic: Model Aircraft  (Read 12539 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Model Aircraft
« on: 13 June, 2016, 03:54:18 pm »
Heard about the NSW State titles being held locally to us at Wingham on Saturday and Sunday this weekend for the model aircraft. So we went for a short drive out to see what was happening. Disappointed that only 20 aircraft were on display and flying for a State title but what was there was fantastic. A gentleman from Maitland NSW won the event and it was very sad to see one plane get blown across the runway on landing only to find some very slightly longer grass, do a nose plant and a flip. This totally destroyed the tail end of the plane.
The Bi-Plane was very well flown by the owner and was amazing at how slow it could go in he air without crashing with all that lift and how easily it took off. Number 19 the blue one was the winner and the pilot of this was a very confident flyer of his plane. It was very sad to watch the crash of the bomber upon landing after it had flown a beautiful mission and dropping bombs on a target.
Something I was not aware of was pumping compressed air into some of the planes. This had me baffled until I asked one of them about it. It is for the raising of the wheels after take off. The blue plane and a few other ran twin cylinder motors, some were a "V" twin and others were a flat twin. They sounded different to each other but still sounded great. Unfortunately we did not get the chance to here a 7 cylinder radial engine start and run as he was packing it away when we arrived. So a quick search on YouTube found what I was looking for and even better a twin engine 7 cylinder radial engines. They too get that drone sound at certain rev range and at full throttle had the hum that you would expect to hear as well.
They may have been models but they were fantastic to watch at and  hear.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Re: Model Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2016, 07:37:27 pm »
hi John
I have a nephew into model aircraft started on the prop type now into jets
Recently been over to China for a competition
Picture of the plane he flies just about everyday (the small one out front not the one in the background)
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2016, 03:09:21 pm »
Really nice info Ian. It is something that I can sit and watch for ages but I would be a disaster if put in control of one. My brain just doesn't work backwards when driving remote control cars, go to turn right and it goes left and so on. I just couldn't bring myself to unintentionally destroy something like a plane just because my brain wont work.
It is a great job he has and does by flying for the Flying Doctor Corp. Is that pic taken at a Museum? Looks like the big fella has the steps set up for people to go through and look.

rustyengines

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2016, 04:50:19 pm »
"Is that pic taken at a Museum"
He is based at Rocky, the picture is at Longreach  where they a air museum very good to go and see
He was there waiting for a patient pickup
http://qfom.com.au/
http://www.longreachairport.com.au/
Ian

John 54

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2016, 05:18:47 pm »
Hi all
Had the good fortune to go through the Fleet Air Arm Museum at HMAS Albatross, also known as Navel Air Station Nowra. There is a full scale model of a WW1 Sopwith Pup and a model of the first glider flown in Australia (flown before the Wright brothers). The collection of aircraft and helicopters flown by the Fleet Air Arm since WW2 is well worth a look as well as the rest of the museum.
Regards John
John

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:56:59 pm »
Thanks Ian, That is one place that we are looking at going to in a different way. We will stay on the Gold Coast and fly out to Longreach for the weekend on a package deal.
The Naval Air Arm Museum at Nowra is a real treat to attend. An in-law was stationed their a while back and we still go and have a look each time we are in the area. I was looking at one of the helicopters once trying to work out what was attached to it and there was no notice board. Went over to the desk to ask the lady and she looked astonished and was about to say she was not sure, but, there was an officer there and it caught his attention and he then went into extreme and interesting detail as to what it was. It also had a "Danger high Voltage" sign on the attachment. Turns out it was what he called a "dipping radar" to look for submarines. The Rolls Royce V12 Merlin motor in a sectioned view also is a good look.

rustyengines

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2016, 05:17:57 pm »
Bi John went to the Ayr show today and these were there
Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2016, 05:14:18 pm »
They look great Ian. there is another Air show on at Wingham near home on Saturday 16/7/16 and again on the Sunday. Dee and I will go out again on the Saturday as it appears there is more to see on the first day.

rustyengines

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2016, 02:27:07 pm »
Hi John
Just remembered this video by my nephew
and he flies for the Royal Fling Doctor hmmm not sure if I want to go with him
Ian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww0YaL-4N8c

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 23 August, 2016, 03:53:34 pm »
Very nice Ian. That is one very fast little jet plane and then at 252 kph it looses control with no little flap control.

bigmoot

« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2016, 06:25:59 pm »
GDAY I HAVE A HEAP OF THESE MAGS IF ANY ONE WANTS THEM THE ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AIR CRAFT REGARDS BIGMOOT.
hawkesbury n.s.w   hornsbys/listers/associated/triumph/sundexs/
sundial/fairbanks z 's/condor/inter m's/ronnys/nuffield tractor/howard 2000/southern cross's.

bigmoot

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2016, 11:55:15 am »
BUMP
hawkesbury n.s.w   hornsbys/listers/associated/triumph/sundexs/
sundial/fairbanks z 's/condor/inter m's/ronnys/nuffield tractor/howard 2000/southern cross's.

rustyengines

« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2016, 03:24:58 pm »
Here is some models on display at out local Air Force today
Ian

rustyengines

« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2016, 03:27:14 pm »
Some more
Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 17 October, 2016, 03:44:30 pm »
Great pics Ian. They are almost big enough to sit in and fly.