Author Topic: Triton water pump  (Read 11204 times)

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Triton water pump
« on: 02 July, 2016, 07:27:16 pm »
Hello all
Remember the haul of rubbish we got about 12 months ago? http://forums.tomm.com.au/index.php/topic,4173.0.html
In amongst the stuff was a Triton water pump and I thought to myself...that'll make a good display seeing it's a bit unusual.
Well I've been thinking about it and, in between other projects, I finally got the old pump pumping. Having something small to take to Pimpama later this month made me extract my finger and pushed me into finishing the little Triton.
The process of rebuilding every last possible thing on the pump gave me plenty of time to decide what engine to make it pump water and one day a biblical thought came into my tired old noggin. The Barlows!!!!. How good would it be to be able to couple any of the Barlows up to something? I don't think I've seen a Barlow at a rally running something.
With the Barlows there is no need for a huge pulley on the pump because of the built in reduction and with the built in belt tensioner there's another problem solved. Bugger. Belt. Off I wander to the belt box and found a 2 1/4" leather belt of about the right length so after a bit of a trim off the sides to get to a 2" belt that problem is solved. . . A bit of a match made in heaven I thought. And then I remembered the cream can looking water container from a PMG truck I got ages ago. It's got a tap on the bottom already. That saves another job of making/finding a container to pump water into.

So that was that and today was the first time all the pieces came together and I think they pair up quite well.
We now have a little pump and a choice of one of those funny little engines from Ballina we can chuck in the back of the car and go to shows without the trailer. All I need to do for Pimpama is to repaint the inspection hatch on the pump and give them all a clean.
Anyways, here's a video and a picture of our little setup
https://youtu.be/F0UADQ2gwnc

Cheers Scott

allisb

Re: Triton water pump
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:47:57 pm »
Very nice work once again Scott.
Lovely display
Rx
I spend most of my pay on old tractors and engines, I tend to waste the rest

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2016, 09:45:47 pm »
Got one also never done anything with it
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Scott

« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2016, 06:04:16 am »
Hello all
I may be a bit too cocky when I put everything together yesterday Rex. It may have been a bit too easy. Not sure yet.
I had the pump running for about 3 hours yesterday and I noticed no water was been pushed up the piston past the loose packing. I like to see a bit of water coming up here just for a bit of lubrication. I undid the packing gland until the two bolts were loose and still no water been pumped out so I put some water into a little well that's on top of the packing gland and it was sucked into the pump.  ???
So I put more water in and it got sucked in also. My theory is the outlet on the cream can is too small. It's only 1/2" and everything else is 1", so I think a vacuum is been created on every suction stroke. Does this sound feasible?
We're off the Brisbane today so after I cut some firewood on Monday I'll try another 'water source' with an inch outlet and see what happens.
Another option is to turn the tap off a bit and see what happens. But that leads to water splashing due to pressure.
One thing I could not work out on the Triton is there is a little mounting tag on the edge of the packing gland with a threaded hole in it. You can see it in the picture. I cannot for the life of me work out what it's there for, so another option may be to put a water feed to that mounting flange and have a water drip happening. There are two ports in the top of the pump I could tap off. That reminds me, I have to look through the brass bolt box to find a couple of 3/8 brass bolts instead of those long, cad plated monstrosities screwed into the top of the pump.

Ian, your pump is the only other one I have seen or referenced. It's a bit hard to research the little pump when it's a Triton water pump. So many Mitsubishi Tritons with water pumps  :-\
I noticed your pump has no holes in the top and a greaser on the conrod when you first sent me a couple of pictures all those months ago. Our pump had nothing where the greaser was and the condition of the pump showed the results. That bush on the 'big end' was just borderline on wearing through and the brass gudgeon pin (if that's what it's called at the bottom) was totally stuffed and had worn the hole in the little end of the conrod into a nice elongated ellipse shape (it was nearly breaking through at the bottom).
Anyways, back to the story....I put some oil in that spot on the top of the conrod where your greaser is and it lasted for hours. I found a little cast iron wick oiler in the oiler container. I might put it on simply to save the mess of grease.

I have to admit I've gain just as much fun mucking about with this little pump as I do with an engine. One thing I've learned is they can be just as much of a problem as an engine. This little one took a lot of work with brass bushes to be made and valve seats to be refaced and rubber valves to be made and de-rusting and all that sort of caper.  :o

Cheers Scott

steeleye

• Gladstone Qld. Just north of Benaraby
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »
Well done Scott . Much better than anything I could do. Question: What sort of timber did use for the trolleys?
Keepum burnin an turnin

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2016, 04:00:41 pm »
Another great job done and all in time for Pimpama show. Hopefully Rudy and his mates make room for your toys and we are sorry that we cant be there this time round but maybe next year. We are off to the Yesteryear Truck show at Wauchope next weekend with David the Cropmaster.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Scott

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:36:52 pm »
Question: What sort of timber did use for the trolleys?
Oi Phil.
The timber is just some rough sawn hardwood off cuts we had laying about. Yellow box is what it's supposed to be. The flat stuff under the pump is left overs from when we built the horsefloat. We used the 6x1's for the floor. I just ran it all through the thicknesser and jobs pretty well done. Australian hardwoods are very underestimated for furniture making.

Cobba. Don't mention this to Rudy. I'm sure he'll 'volunteer' to 'store' the Barlow for me if I asked him to or not.   ;D

Cheers Scott

steeleye

• Gladstone Qld. Just north of Benaraby
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:30:24 pm »
That yellow box certainly looks great. Alas, a thicknesser or lathe or similar machinery can only be but a dream for me. They certainly make a good job easily and quickly. A bit of clear estapol or similar on the top and Bobs your aunty.........cheers
Keepum burnin an turnin

Scott

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2016, 06:52:46 am »
a thicknesser or lathe or similar machinery can only be but a dream for me. They certainly make a good job easily and quickly.
Hello Phil
Have a yarn to your local "Men's Shed' or woodwork group. I'd be surprised if they would not be able to sort something out for you in dressing some new wood.
And don't rule out having a thicknesser for jobs like this. I picked up an Elu combo thicknesser/surfacer from the local weekly junk sale for $200. It has legs but they fold up to sit on a bench and it's light/compact enough to carry it. It needed the blades to be set correctly and a new bearing on the cutting drum and shes a beaut now. I don't even bother to pull the big thicknesser out unless I need to do something really wide.

Cheers Scott
PS: some Mirotone grain filler was used and then 2 coats of some Cabot's CFP satin floor finish I got from the tip.

Scott

« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2016, 11:47:50 am »
Hello all
I tried the pump with another water container with an inch outlet and the pump pumps a lot more water but water is still sucked into the packing gland on the piston so I made a little capillary water feed out of some refrigeration capillary tube to feed water to the packing gland. I could meter the water by squashing the tube. I stuffed up though. The capillary is too small and clogs up in about 15 seconds. It worked brilliantly before it clogged up. Drip, drip, drip......then nothing  :)  :-\
So another feed is to be made with a 1/4 copper tube and a tap.
I forgot to take a picture but I will do when it stops raining.

Cheers Scott

Scott

« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2016, 01:14:23 pm »
I had the pump running for about 3 hours yesterday and I noticed no water was been pushed up the piston past the loose packing. I like to see a bit of water coming up here just for a bit of lubrication. I undid the packing gland until the two bolts were loose and still no water been pumped out so I put some water into a little well that's on top of the packing gland and it was sucked into the pump.  ???
So I put more water in and it got sucked in also. My theory is the outlet on the cream can is too small. It's only 1/2" and everything else is 1", so I think a vacuum is been created on every suction stroke. Does this sound feasible?
Hello all
I tried different tanks with inch outlets and made all the useless brass and copper stuff up, which worked to a degree, BUT a chap I was having a yarn to at Pimpama fixed the problem in about 6 or 7 words. Turn the bloody tap off a bit he said.....and he was right. It needs a bit of pressure built up around the gland. That's one lesson I'll never forget.  ;D
All good in the world of Triton pumps now.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2016, 04:20:24 pm »
Live and learn !!!!!
Great result Scott.

Scott

« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2016, 05:49:26 pm »
Hello all
A bit of an update with the background to the Triton pump. They must be a very close relative to the Ajax type T pump. A type T was spotted at the QHR and the family resemblance was amasing. There were a few very minor differences.
Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #13 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:25:21 pm »
Did you pick it up for spares?
they do look like they are relatives, bro!

Eric Schulz

« Reply #14 on: 06 November, 2016, 06:58:59 pm »
"They must be a very close relative to the Ajax type T pump."

Not really surprising, as they had the same parents, McPhersons. The usual McPherson pump brand name was Ajax. I don't know why they branded some Triton.

Eric