Author Topic: Evinrude Model DD Inboard  (Read 9750 times)

AusAnzani

Evinrude Model DD Inboard
« on: 06 July, 2016, 11:48:18 am »
G’day all,

I thought I’d share some information and pics on the most recent addition to my collection of marine engines.

The Evinrude Model DD was manufactured from 1916 through to 1927. The serial number (DD 66070) on this particular one suggests it is of either 1922 or 1923 manufacture. 

The DD has a bore and stroke of 2 5/8” x 2 1/8” and is rated 4.5hp at 1,500 rpm.  The Schebler carburetor as fitted is standard equipment. Original color is light grey.

This engine turns smoothly and makes no odd noises, however it is missing a bunch of parts including but not limited to the magneto c/w advance lever and kill button, water-pump cover and pick up, the main welsh/core plug, 2 crank case drain plugs/taps, 3 grease cups, a grease cup extension tube, spark plugs and spark plug leads. Most parts are still available in the US, but some searching is required.

The magneto is likely to present the biggest challenge for me because I do not yet know from which Evinrude outboard model (if any) it originates. Somehow however, it fits with the flywheel pictured which originates from an Evinrude Rowboat Motor (single cylinder outboard).

The restoration of this engine is not a high priority for me at the moment. I’ve got several other unfinished projects that I need to complete first, including a 1914/15 Evinrude RBM collected approx. 2 months ago.

In the meantime however, if anyone here has any information and/or advice to share, it will be gratefully received.

Thanks & Regards,
Spiro

tractorfan

Re: Evinrude Model DD Inboard
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2016, 02:10:42 pm »
I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about one of these that was discovered in a yacht club in Melbourne, on the bay.

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/un-solved-mysteries/the-inboard-evinrude-mystery-update-iii-more-on-the-model-dd-1920-23-002542.html

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2016, 05:20:26 pm »
G'Day Spiro,
Another nice engine you have. I love the starting cups on the engine. Some old stationary engines use the same thing. Not sure about your magneto, is it a flywheel magneto or a rotary? Grease cups, caps and possibly extension tubes should be available through Rustic Spares, John Humphries. 02 6553 8918. He is just a couple of kilometres down the road from us and he is very helpful. Google his company and a web site should turn up I just looked at his ad in TOMM and he doesn't list his website but he used to have one.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

AusAnzani

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2016, 12:14:09 pm »
Thanks guys for your responses thus far.

Haven't had a lot of spare time lately but did manage to squeeze in a few minutes doing some additional research. It now seems that the carburetor fitted to this little engine may in fact be incorrect. Reason I say that is because the documentation (whatever little there is) indicates Schebler, but all pics I've been able to find on the internet show a carburettor of a different type and are consistent.

to answer your question cobba, it should have a flywheel magneto. Problem is, I haven't been able to link it to any Evinrude outboard of that era, so I may need to add a gear to the output shaft and drive a separate magneto off that if I want to run this thing.

The lead for the grease cups and fitting is fantastic. Thank you for providing that.

Will let you guys know how I get on.

Regards,
Spiro

AusAnzani

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2016, 11:05:55 am »
Not a lot f progress to report, but as the marine section here is close on dead, I felt obligated to contribute something.

As stated in an earlier post original color was grey. it has therefore been necessary to strip down and start over.

And with the cold and damp weather we've been having in Melbourne, I could literally watch as the oxide layer (rust) form on the castings. Run over again with the wire wheel, turn on the heat lamps and apply a couple coats of primer.

New welsh plugs were fairly easy to locate and fit, so did that before the final coat of primer was applied.

Now all painted up and awaiting assembly.

Not quite sure exactly why, but the crank was remade by the previous owner/mechanical engineer.

Before assembly can proceed, I need to knock up 4 gaskets and a simple/temporary stand. Then the hunt will be on for some of the missing components.

More later.

Regards,
Spiro

klanger

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »
Looking good Spiro,
Yes the marine section here is a quiet one.
I have recently bought a Stuart Turner P5 marine engine via eBay, and will one day be starting on it. A couple of other projects to finish first.
I have followed you restoration of you P55 with interest, and will be in touch for advice.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Regards
Kevin
Kevin
Cowes, Phillip Island. Vic
2 x 3hp Record Marine Engines
Ferro 7.5 hp Type K Marine Engine
Ferro 5.5 hp Type E Marine Engine
Ferro 5.5 hp Type F Stationary Engine
2 x Stuart Turner P5M
Simplex 5Hp
Simplex 7/10Hp Twin Cylinder
Detroit Marine Engine 4 HP

AusAnzani

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2016, 03:00:39 pm »
G’day Klanger

Congratulations on the purchase. Happy to help out where I can.

When restoring my P55, I stumbled across a lot of P5 information. This thread for example http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t5884-new-project-stuart-turner-p6m-gearbox#45052 will allow you to familiarize yourself with the various parts, disassembly and what things to look out for.

I also have a P4/P5 manual and some other bits and pieces that I can email to you. When you’re ready just send me a pm and we’ll go from there.

Regards,
Spiro

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2016, 05:26:31 pm »
Again the high standards are prevalent. You continue to amaze me with the high quality work and it does look so good.

AusAnzani

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2016, 09:48:04 am »
All fun and games with this one!

As we do, I took the time to measure the thickness of the original gaskets before proceeding to make the new ones. The measurement taken from the originals was 0.147mm, hence I figured 0.2mm would be about right ie allowing for compression etc.

Made the gaskets, dropped the crank complete with rods and pistons in to position and assembled the lower crank case. Proceeded to tighten the bolts and found that the crank would not turn. Too tight around the center bearing. Tried installing the fore and aft bearings and they would not fit. Confirmation gaskets were just too thin.

Strip down again, remake all gaskets using 0.4mm this time. Much better result, if anything still a little on the tight side.

Removed the remains of what was once nickel plate from the flywheel and water pump assembly and fitted those. Two new problems identified. On the aft side, the crank shaft diameter (aft of the aft bearing) should have been reduced to allow for fitment of the water pump cam and stern gear. On the fore side, it appears as though the crank shaft has not been made long enough, hence fitting the flywheel  magneto (if I ever find one) will be difficult.

Lesson learned! Be extra careful when purchasing an incomplete resto!

Still need 2 primer cups, 2 grease cups, spark plugs (Champion 0 COM) and a few other bits and bobs to complete.  Also need to make a proper stand. Here are the latest pics.

Regards,
Spiro

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 23 August, 2016, 04:04:04 pm »
Grease cups and oilers are readily available from Vintage Spares Ghinni Ghinni NSW. john Humphries is his name and he has a website so give him a try. I use him for many of my parts like that and he has some decals for the stationary engines etc.

Not wanting to crash your thread but these will be for sale at the Rusty Iron Rally in a fortnight.

For Sale : “Blaxland” Marine Engine, twin cylinder, 5-7hp, fully rebuilt by Factory Dealers and
bench tested, asking price $4850 or will consider reasonable offer. Contact Jim on (02) 9576-
6040 or mobile 0408-619-979 at our Rusty Iron Rally.
For Sale : Early “Vinco” 2½hp Marine Engine, this rare engine would suit a genuine collector.
$1495. Contact Jim on (02) 9576-6040 or mobile 0408-619-979 at our Rusty Iron Rally.

AusAnzani

« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2016, 05:13:53 pm »
Thanks John,

Ideally I need to find a place like Vintage Spares or Rustic Spares in Melbourne. I'm sort of old school in so far as I like to visit a shop and see exactly what I'm buying before I actually do.

If you know of any down here, please share their details.

PS: On Ebay a couple weeks back there was a VINCO on trolley complete with fuel tank, prop etc and not far from me that sold for $250 (I think). Was planning to pick that up, but got the guilts as I already have way too many unfinished projects.

Thanks again & regards,

klanger

« Reply #11 on: 23 August, 2016, 08:57:58 pm »
Hi Spiro,

(Was planning to pick that up, but got the guilts as I already have way too many unfinished projects.)

Ain't that the truth

Regards
Kev
Kevin
Cowes, Phillip Island. Vic
2 x 3hp Record Marine Engines
Ferro 7.5 hp Type K Marine Engine
Ferro 5.5 hp Type E Marine Engine
Ferro 5.5 hp Type F Stationary Engine
2 x Stuart Turner P5M
Simplex 5Hp
Simplex 7/10Hp Twin Cylinder
Detroit Marine Engine 4 HP

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2016, 12:04:22 pm »
Just had a look in TOMM and Rally Badges are at P.O. box 9 Tatura. Vic. 3616.
www.RallyBadges.com.au
email - Greg@RallyBadges.com.au

I have no idea where Tatura is but it is worth a look. He also travels to Rallies. He lists that he sells brass priming cups and may well sell the grease caps too.

AusAnzani

« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2016, 04:43:47 pm »
Yep, I know of Rally Badges in Tatura. Did a lot of work out that way in my previous job.

Tatura is about 20km's east of Shepparton Victoria or 297km's north of where I live. Long way to go for some grease cups UNLESS there's an engine or two to pick up along the way.  8)

There must be a store somewhere closer. Will have to attend a rally some day soon, to find out who all the retailers are and where they're located. not having much success finding them on the internet.

Thanks again & regards,
Spiro

andyh7722

« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2016, 08:28:57 am »
I thought you might be interested in this thread on Facebook if you haven't seen it.
Lots of info on here from guy's restoring these Evinrude inboards.

regards
  Andy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207645056470616&set=gm.1273788369312420&type=3&theater