Author Topic: Hello from a new member  (Read 5485 times)

BLD

Hello from a new member
« on: 25 July, 2016, 10:05:14 am »
Just wanting to introduce myself & say Hello. My name is Bruce & I now live in the Albury / Wodonga area. I guess my interest in most things old came from my father & grandfather who, way back when, owned a steam driven sawmill. Growing up as a kid my siblings & I spent a lot of time playing in & around the old flat belt driven equipment & climbing over the old engine.

Towards the end of the sawmilling days they became the agents for Greenleaf fertilizer, both selling & spreading it. The spreading was done using ex WWII American Dodge Weapons carriers onto which dad mounted his 'custom design' spreading units. They were a great success & spread thousands of tons of fertilizer every season for over 50 years (they purchased the first one in 1948 & dad was forced into retirement due to bad health in 2000)

I have restored one Dodge & am partway through another, which brings me to ask if there are any members in the Gunning NSW area? When passing through there the other day I noticed a weapons carrier (with a spreader on the back) in a paddock but didn't have time  to stop (kids...are we there yet) & would like to contact the owner. My PH# is 0448790666

On perhaps a more relevant subject for this forum, I also have a restored 1916 6hp Waterloo Boy & a couple of other engines to be restored or bought back to life when time permits.

Thanks for reading. Regards Bruce

bigmoot

Re: Hello from a new member
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2016, 02:46:57 pm »
WELCOME MATE ITS A GREAT FORUM ENJOY REGARDS BIGMOOT.
hawkesbury n.s.w   hornsbys/listers/associated/triumph/sundexs/
sundial/fairbanks z 's/condor/inter m's/ronnys/nuffield tractor/howard 2000/southern cross's.

allisb

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2016, 05:38:27 pm »
Welcome BLD, hope you enjoy the forum.
Rex
I spend most of my pay on old tractors and engines, I tend to waste the rest

ianoz

« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2016, 09:55:42 pm »
WElcome to the forum Bruce . If anyone was a keen photographer back in the days of the sawmill .I would love to see photos from back in the day .And your current projects if you are happy to share with us .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

BLD

« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2016, 07:14:35 pm »
Thanks for the welcome guys. Not many photos remain of the old sawmill but I will try & attach one of the engine taken not long before it was removed & donated to a local museum. If it works I will post more. Thanks again.

BLD

« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2016, 07:18:13 pm »
That worked so here is another. That's my grandfather Albert both on the truck & in front of the engine...taken a few years apart though. Regards Bruce

BLD

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2016, 07:28:08 pm »
This last one shows my uncle (driver of front truck), father (passenger of front truck), grandfather 2nd truck & a local farmer at the last truck. The trucks certainly look like they have done some hard work  :)

Mightgo

« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2016, 07:59:57 pm »
Hi .Great photos,dog looks happy.                                                                                                                                                                      Brian

AndrewOC

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »
G'day Brian,
great story.
Are the trucks in your photos Dodge or Bedford?
There is a fellow in Victoria that collects pre-war Beddie pics.
Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew O'C
Sydney

ianoz

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:40:50 pm »
Great Photos mate ,thank you for sharing them .The trucks back then sure did earn their keep .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

BLD

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:45:48 pm »
G'day Brian,
great story.
Are the trucks in your photos Dodge or Bedford?
There is a fellow in Victoria that collects pre-war Beddie pics.
Cheers,
Andrew

Hi there Andrew, we had both Bedford & Dodge trucks...not too sure which is shown. My uncle is still alive, he would know. Cheers Bruce

famous fitter

« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2016, 06:00:41 pm »
Hi Bruce, welcome to the Forum , there are a lot of good people here !!!

I can relate to the steam and sawmilling ,as my great grandfather was one of the major saw-millers in the area up to the late 70's with all steam driven gear. He had 4 engines running in total. We still have 2 of the traction engines used for hauling logs - a 50hp Case Tandem Compound traction engine (Fully Restored and painted) and a Small Wallis and Steevens 4? ton traction engine which also saw duty in WW1 as a gun tractor in France!!! is under restoration.
The other two engines were an Alchin traction engine, and a large Ransomes Simms and Jeffries (Main Mill Engine)which still runs. Both are in the hands of other collectors and are preserved.
We also have a Ruston-Proctor portable that currently has a blown tube but in otherwise good condition that my great uncle restored in about 1990 and the remains of a CASE 60 traction engine which is restorable.

My main interest is early stationary engines and Vintage cars, but when i get my shed situation sorted ill give the steam a nudge too !!!

Cheers Justin- (thanks for sharing your photos)

BLD

« Reply #12 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:44:51 pm »
Hi there Justin, sounds like your family had a big setup with some interesting machines. Going by your user name I think we have a bit in common...I am also a fitter / turner. Cheers Bruce