Author Topic: Darraco  (Read 6697 times)

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Darraco
« on: 21 September, 2016, 11:45:59 am »
1906 Darraco engine
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Re: Darraco
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2016, 04:18:28 pm »
Hello all
What a beauty.
Ian, do you know what those things are that are sticking up on top of the head in the second picture? They could easily mistaken for glow plugs.

Cheers Scott

rustyengines

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2016, 04:29:47 pm »
Hi Scott
Are you talking about the black items?
Priming valve
Ian

Oldengines

« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2016, 04:30:40 pm »
actually a Darracq,
easily mistaken the q for a o
Cheers from West Aussie.

rustyengines

« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2016, 04:41:03 pm »
Oh yes the 'Q' goes into the line did not see that
Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2016, 04:44:04 pm »
Other side of the engine Ian. It looks like 4 glow plugs and has a solid brass wire connecting the tops.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

franco

« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2016, 11:53:59 am »
Hello all
What a beauty.
Ian, do you know what those things are that are sticking up on top of the head in the second picture? They could easily mistaken for glow plugs.

Cheers Scott

Scott,

I will make a wild guess and suggest they might be a separate set of plugs for a hand cranked starting magneto. These were common on early aircraft engines - Darracq also built aircraft engines in the early days. To use them you primed the cylinders, then set a piston just past TDC on the firing stroke. You then wound the handle of the starter magneto, which produced a "shower of sparks", which hopefully would cause the cylinder primed and set near TDC to fire and turn the engine over - no electric self starters in 1906 remember. I think later ones worked through the distributor on whichever one of the normal magnetos was used for starting or a separate distributor, so the sparks were only delivered to the cylinder which had been set for starting.

Some later cars used a battery and trembler coil to give the same effect. There is a good video on Utube (whose location I have lost) which shows starting a large engined pre 1910 racing car using this method.

Frank.

Cairns, Queensland

tractorfan

« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »
Frank, the video you might be referring to is the starting of the FIAT S76. It's fitted with a 2 spark four cylinder dual magneto, and a separate battery coil.

The startup begins at about the 1:47 mark, where you can see them crank it over, then flick on the coil switch to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TV2l6TOuGA

franco

« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2016, 06:16:44 pm »
Frank, the video you might be referring to is the starting of the FIAT S76. It's fitted with a 2 spark four cylinder dual magneto, and a separate battery coil.

The startup begins at about the 1:47 mark, where you can see them crank it over, then flick on the coil switch to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TV2l6TOuGA

tractorfan,

Many thanks for that site which also shows the starting sequence for early large automotive engines. I have now remembered enough of the other site I saw earlier, "Starting the 1909 Blitzen Benz" to locate it in a Utube search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMa3_tT5mKA

This unedited 7 minute long video shows the process in detail. It was not necessarily a first try starter! I believe starting a cranky early aircraft engine using the starter magneto could often be a long and frustrating business too.

The Hucks Starter when available must have made life easier for aircraft ground crew - see photos here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hucks_starter

I wonder what Workplace Health and Safety would make of one of these now?

Frank.

Cairns, Queensland

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2016, 06:44:10 am »
Thank you chaps.
Today hasn't been a waste of a day. It's been another day where I have learnt something new.  :)

Cheers Scott