Author Topic: Magneto Cover  (Read 3100 times)

interpigs

Magneto Cover
« on: 23 September, 2016, 04:34:45 pm »
Good day all , just wondering if any one else has had the same problem , on the farm pumper the front of the magneto housing that facing the engine which has 3 screws holding it in place keeps coming loose and unscrewing . I'm about to redo them with lock tight , but that does not tell me why  Regards Adrian     
ADRIAN AT TALBOT VIC

winchester

Re: Magneto Cover
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2016, 09:34:47 am »
Yes well Adrian ...which make of pumper are you refering to?

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2016, 12:33:20 pm »
Hello all
I really don't think it makes any difference as to which brand of pumper you have as they're all kinda similar if they have the magneto in that position.
Does the plate move around when the screws are loose? I'd be making sure there's nothing bumping about or binding up which is making the screws coming loose before going down the locktite avenue. Magneto gears would be first port of call for me. Make sure it has the correct gears.
We don't have any problems with ours becoming undone if that's anything.

Cheers Scott

winchester

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2016, 03:18:49 pm »
Yes well ,in my innocence Im ake reference to the Southern Cross Farm Pumper of which I am familier with. It quite eludes me as to what three screws the original author of this post is refereing to. I attach an image of the mounting plate for the magneto on the SC Pumper. If the author could perhaps post an image this may help .

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2016, 05:30:06 pm »
Here is another type no cover or screws
This is a Buzacott one, engine brand might help
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

winchester

« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2016, 06:06:00 pm »
Yes well a picture is worth a thousand words.

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2016, 06:32:10 pm »
Do you mean the faceplate of the magneto behind the gear? I have a Ronnie N with the same magneto and the faceplate has never wanted to stay put.
Patrick
Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

winchester

« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2016, 03:22:20 pm »
Yes well I show the brass cover for the magneto gear ......it is not attached to the engine crankcase but is located by a flat on the bottom ..it does have an oil seal  to prevent  oil or  grease it is not attached by screws .

Combustor

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2016, 11:54:07 pm »
           I have several magnetos similar to the one shown by Interpigs, on one the plate has crumbled and come apart, the other is showing signs of cracking. Suspect some models, (wartime maybe?) had plates of cheap zinc based "pot metal" and you may find the screws are loosening as the plates weaken and deform with age. Some magneto repairers may have a source of better spares. Regards,
Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.