Author Topic: Gry Fegy Timing Marks  (Read 11278 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Gry Fegy Timing Marks
« Reply #15 on: 03 October, 2016, 03:21:15 pm »
Thanks for the ongoing advise as we need it. By the time it is ready to re-assemble the head studs will be back in place before fitting the liners so I can use them, flat washers and some pipe cut to length to hold the liners in place. Thanks for the good advise with using Aviation Sealer on the spectacle gaskets.
Anyone who can remember anything from the 1960's has done exceptionally well. I survived without too much trouble and doesn't seem to be too much wrong as I grow older.  :o
The broken head stud was carefully drilled and removed today. I then went around all the holes and ran a 7/16" UNC tap down the holes and the studs will get the same treatment next weekend. I will start spraying some diesel around inside to start the clean up process inside the engine. The water jackets were the worse I have ever seen in an engine but then I haven't done many engines and all but one did not have wet liners so could really see inside that area. Once everything is clean then I can get some accurate measurements of the journal and old big end bearings. Then I will have a look for the sizes so I know what size to order when buying the rebuild kit. A friend mentioned that the mains can be replaced without removing the crank. He suggested that doing one at a time remove the cap and slip the new bearing cap up and over the main journal and all should be good. Any thoughts?
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

cranky crank

« Reply #16 on: 03 October, 2016, 07:58:23 pm »
Hi,
If it was mine,I would be pulling the motor,dropping the crank and giving a real good clean ,checking the oil passages and the general internals.

Its a lot easier putting the mains in when the engine is upside down.You can also get a better feel of the tightness of the crank and rod bearings when done without getting the gearbox drag.Added bonus is having a good look at the clutch.

Mightgo

« Reply #17 on: 04 October, 2016, 09:06:08 am »
Hi John.   Also another thing to check, end float on crank one of mine thrust washers were worn so as it was clutch adjustment must have been at its absolute end.Also have a peek at gov.weights & timing chain.Then in your spare time you could also--------- ----  Hi Steve,Will be passing through your town friday but will not have time to call in.       Regards Brian.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2016, 05:27:49 pm »
Thanks for all the ongoing advise. Engine will be staying in frame unless something very scarey turns up during or after the clean up. We will check the end float but the front end will be staying as is until further notice. When we parked Sarah up she was running smoothly and quietly, no noises from the timing area and definitely none from the bearings. As we will not be ploughing the fields or slashing paddocks I cant see any reason to go any further. Tractor Treks and Rallies is Sarah's purpose in life now.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #19 on: 05 October, 2016, 06:00:02 pm »
TTractor Treks and Rallies is Sarah's purpose in life now.
Hello Cobba.
A bit like the other HRH Sarah. Travelling about and doing not much at all really.

Cheers Scott
PS: thanks to all the contributors I now know hat to look for if we get a Fergy.  ;)

Mightgo

« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2016, 08:24:45 am »
Hi Scott, I thought everyone had a little grey Fergy somewhere in the back of the shed .Sounds like your on the right track John.                                                                   Brian. 

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #21 on: 06 October, 2016, 05:21:15 pm »
Sarah's is going to be well again and next Sunday is her next turn for more attention. This Saturday is Davids turn to play at the local Taree Show Day, yippee!

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #22 on: 16 October, 2016, 02:49:09 pm »
Dee attacked HRH Sarah again today. The radiator came off for a good clean out and reverse flush. Then it was time to remove any and all traces of the spectacle gaskets at the bottom of the liners. My job was to hold the lead light at the right angle so Dee could see what she was doing. I took a sneak peak every now and then to see how it was going and I really didn't need to, these girls are good at cleaning! Once it passed the inspection stage the area was sprayed with Lanox to prevent surface rust while we wait for the rebuild kit. The Dee replaced the radiator but it seems that I do get delegated the jobs where someone has to lay on their back to get to the nuts n bolts.  Before it going into place I found a small crack in the fan cowl so I welded it up while I was under supervision.

We are now looking for a replacement head stud. It screws into the block with a 7/16" UNC thread at that end and a 7/16" UNF thread at the top end. The local tractor wrecker either has none or wont part with one. So does anyone have a wreck with a stud that they don't need any more. Obviously it wont be for free and we are happy to pay for it.

There appears to be a bit of a problem with supply of a "in-frame" rebuild kit. You tell them what is in there last and that you think it was an 80mm bore original and it all goes pear shape from then. Sparex have NO kits in Australia and claim that they are a couple of months away. BareCo I think can supply., but it is this ongoing questions and answers that keeps us from placing an order. Not even the suppliers are confident of the kit required. So I sent them the following 2 pics of what came out, an 85mm bore and the bottom of the liner measures 92.03mm, I thought this would be an easy fix. does the 92.03 seem the right size for an original 80mm or 85mm bore size?

wee-allis

« Reply #23 on: 16 October, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »

Hi John,

What you need to order is a Bareco EK1 kit, stipulating your big end bearing size. Simple as that. Recommended retail about $600.00 plus freight. Available, in stock. 

Your nearest retailer can even have it freighted direct to you.

Regards, Steve.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

voljon

« Reply #24 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:42:38 am »
hello john & dee, I have the 2 x wrecks still here at Ghinni Ghinni if you want to come and remove the stud or studs.regards john

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #25 on: 17 October, 2016, 03:49:27 pm »
Hi john, I will call through tomorrow afternoon if that is alright and will bring a stud extractor with me. Thank you so much.

Also thanks for the kit number from BareCo. I am still waiting for an answer from the UK as well. Sometimes they are quick and other times slow.

Bundy Bear

• Queensland Tractor Spares
« Reply #26 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:10:18 pm »
With the Bareco Kits I was talking to Allan Bare a week or two ago about kits and he races a Triumph TR3 I think he said all with Bareco Replacement parts with no problems at all. I have found both brands good and have fitted many of both for customers over the years without one failure. I have heard the stories about the kits but I am yet to lay my eyes on a faulty one.
We sell heaps of both. Pistons in both are made in Europe to my knoweledge.
Lance

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #27 on: 18 October, 2016, 05:26:46 pm »
Thanks for your valuable input Lance, it is appreciated. I am still waiting for a couple of places to reply, two local and one UK based.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #28 on: 18 October, 2016, 05:31:38 pm »
Also picked up another head stud from john today, so a big thank you to you too!

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #29 on: 23 October, 2016, 03:33:25 pm »
Well Sarah's head will be ready mid week and required some new valves, springs and guides as they were worn out. A BEPCO rebuild kit has been sourced as well so next week we should be able to start to reassemble, very carefully.
What can you tell me about BEPCO?