Author Topic: NHMA November meeting  (Read 7162 times)

wee-allis

NHMA November meeting
« on: 24 November, 2016, 06:56:32 am »

Hi all,

The NHMA held their MC meeting at the Bombala rally recently and while I've heard some of what went on, there has been no notification as to whether the "No card, no Display" issue was resolved, as far as I know.

Has anyone got the true story of the result? Perhaps it's time they put out another posting on their web page and or let the affiliated clubs know what's going on.

Not stirring the pot, I'm just interested, as it is an important issue and we need to get a clear picture of where we currently stand.

Cheers, Steve.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Re: NHMA November meeting
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2016, 10:04:14 am »
Yes what are NHMA up to ??
I hope the NHMA noted what a very great great QHR tally was at Oakey
I worked very very well with everybody from everywhere attending, NHMA card NOT needed and everybody got together and worked together no 'us and them' as what NHMA seam to want
It was very clear to see why it was so good NO NHMA
If NHMA wants to keep is head above water they need to see how the QHR was run
It was very clear from everybody there that to keep the QHR as good as it is we have to keep the NHMA out, unless they change their mind and come back down to earth
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2016, 04:19:11 pm »
I do like both of the above posts. Well said guys!
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2016, 05:57:04 pm »
In defence of the NHMA.

Well, here I go, throwing myself in the deep end ....again.....but I’d like to have my say, just this once.....AND, you don't have to read it.....

Regardless of all the rubbish that’s recently been posted on Smokestak and this forum, the NHMA is not the enemy.
They're not a bunch of shiney bum-ed suits sitting in a glass tower on Castlereagh St, rather, they are a committee made up of us.
Some of the committee are older retirees, some are farmers, some are engineers but ALL of them come from the vintage machinery movement. They have a passion for preserving the nations vintage machinery heritage and it’s this passion that drives them to take up these thankless positions on the committee.
The NHMA was formed in 1987. Can you imagine just how this hobby would be now if they hadn’t been in existence for the past 30 years and every club had to organise its own insurance?

Just to indicate how dedicated they are, I’ll use this as an example.
I was an active NHMA committee member (V.P. and ACT State Rep) when the steam traction engine exploded in Medina Ohio USA, and killed 5 people and injured 43, in 2001. Following that event and fearing litigation issues, NO insurance company would even consider insuring the movement. Even our insurance broker at the time eventually gave up and we were despairing.

If it hadn’t been for the NHMA’s WA Rep, single handedly finding a company who would insure us, just 2 days before our, then current, policy expired, the NHMA would have ceased to exist. But like a dog with a bone, he didn’t give up and personally organized it so the movement could continue as it does to this day. I hope you can see that this was a massive effort by one single man who virtually saved the hobby, as we know it now, nationally.
He’s not alone, because it’s my belief that all the committee members are still this passionate about it.
The vast majority of members, right across Australia, had no idea about this problem or about how close they came to having no insurance and therefore, no rallies or displays. However, some did, and I was fielding phone calls and queries, some well after midnight, from irate members.

Recently there’s been bucket-loads of messages left on the 2 major forums mentioned above, regarding a recent poor NHMA decision.
Many of these posts have been fueled by some folk who have a hidden agenda, an ulterior motive.
As a result of this poor decision, there has also been quite a bit of urging by these people to get clubs and individuals to leave, breakaway from the NHMA and organise their own insurance.
Several clubs have done so, but they are BIG clubs and as far as I can make out, actually made the break long before this recent kerfuffle.

It is not a case of "Them and Us".....The NHMA  IS us.
Cheers,
Rob

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life". WINSTON CHURCHILL

Tim Baker

« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2016, 08:16:04 am »
Hello Rob, I have been around long enough to remember the instances in your post and I sincerely agree with your thoughts.
Cheers, Tim.

gully_raker

« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2016, 09:22:06 am »
I must agree with Rob!
The NHMA IS us. We have elected State Reps to represent US.
Sure the initial statement by NHMA regarding non NHMA Insurance clubs could have been handled better but the committee were coming from the point of ensuring NHMA Clubs could NOT be caught up in litigation if another Insurers policy led to a Club being sued by a member of the public being injured by a non MHMA insured person.

Lets wait & see what is issued by the NHMA Committee following the Bombala meeting.

Remember too that some of these "Big" Clubs who have gone their own Insurance route have needs outside what the majority of smaller clubs require. e.g. Coverage of paid Rides, Railway rides etc etc.
Regards Barry H.

"Old Tractors look better on Steel!"

isandian

• McDonalds forever!
    • cobah cast iron
« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2016, 03:22:09 pm »
Remember too that some of these "Big" Clubs who have gone their own Insurance route have needs outside what the majority of smaller clubs require. e.g. Coverage of paid Rides, Railway rides etc etc.

The QHR was by all reports a fantastic rally, but I won't let the opportunity pass to plug our Sydney Club's "Clarendon Classic", which has become a very big event.

Yes, our main motivation was the need for insurance in several areas over and above what NHMA offers, and we have no regrets so far. Indeed, we now have a level of flexibility in offering temporary insurance, for example, that was not possible previously.
Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 25 November, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »
Hi Rob, you are most entitled to have your opinion and as you have mentioned that in the past the NHMA has done a great job in keeping this wonderful hobby alive. I feel that their biggest downfall is lack of communication with other Clubs whether they are affiliated with them or not, and the refusal to respond to any questions from Clubs via their own website and therefore keeping everyone in the dark especially after making senseless decisions. The idea of the NHMA splitting our hobby is totally wrong and they should accept that it is a democratic society and we all enjoy the freedom to choose who we can insure with. It is most important that every member of this hobby does carry public liability insurance and that it is of a substantial amount. The way the NHMA seems to approach the topics in question is straight up rude and ignorant.
So from where I sit the NHMA has instigated the split and by doing so now have some very healthy competition in the field.
so that's my thoughts, it is different to yours but as I stated that is a good thing to have an opinion.
P.S. Just for the books, our Club carries it's own P.L. policy.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #8 on: 27 November, 2016, 04:13:35 pm »
Hello all
Any organisation cannot rest on their past achievements. Yes, some reps of NHMA have done an amazing job in the past. But what does the future hold?
From the lack of communication regarding the 'ban' (or any information about the happenings at NHMA) and the fact that the NHMA website has not taken down the No NHMA then no go Banner then you really have to wonder if the hierarchy of NHMA really want this upcoming National to succeed. I mean, why doesn't the NHMA website contain current, true and correct information to look through instead of what's there? There must be people getting the wrong impression of thr upcoming National. There is no excuse for the information on the NHMA website not to be current.
I also disagree that NHMA is us. They have done a pretty good job at dividing people interested in old crap. How many clubs have been thrown out of the NHMA?
What's that quote on their website? The bringing together of like-minded people or something similar? It's simply not happening at the moment in my opinion.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we here any news straight from NHMA Steve.

Cheers Scott

rustyengines

« Reply #9 on: 27 November, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »
"Them and Us".....The NHMA  IS us.
We have had 7 (14 years) very successful QHR rallies  without the NHMA 
Ian

Kim S

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2016, 02:22:05 pm »
NHMA threads appearing again on this and other forums just like last year at this time, ah that's right its the silly season!

ianoz

« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2016, 10:55:29 am »
Ummm , No , It's not silly season Just people wanting to know what is going on .
The last newsletter said they were looking at changes to Tractor pull sleds.
I for one would like to know the outcome of that .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

Kim S

« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2016, 12:01:46 am »
Please, what is a tractor pull, please explain?

rustyengines

« Reply #13 on: 10 December, 2016, 02:50:58 pm »
Not Exactly what a tractor pull but a good video
Ian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQhvruimfs

Combustor

« Reply #14 on: 10 December, 2016, 07:19:39 pm »
Go to youtube, search for "tractor pulling" and you will be amazed at the crazy people and machines that are out there, presumably with very deep pockets! Just doubt that this is where NHMA is at.
Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.