Author Topic: Chamberlain Yellow paint code  (Read 6745 times)

Tinkerer

• Townie gone bush. Learning lots all the time.
Chamberlain Yellow paint code
« on: 08 December, 2016, 10:08:27 am »
I'm new here so, G'day All.  :)

I've recently acquired my first Chamberlain, a C670, circa 1975 from it's late serial number.  It's generally in good condition with 1880 hours on the meter (tho' who knows how many years the tacho cable has been broken...)  For the last decade it's been used only for slashing but maintenance seems to have been a bit sparse - it got a hell of a shock when I got a grease gun put of the shed and headed towards it!  ;D

However the bodywork has a bit of rust in it that I'll be trying to repair and then paint.  So can any of you learned gurus of matters tractor related tell me the correct paint code for the yellow Chamberlain paint used in the 1970s, please?

The other concern is a alarmingly loud noise/vibration in the drive line.  It's worse in intermediate range than high range at the same ground speed.  So it's worse when the prop shaft is spinning faster.  I'm hoping it may be only crappy uni joints but then it could be in the secondary gearbox (high range is direct, intermediate is through the gear train...)  Are there any known weaknesses in the secondary 'boxes on these tractors?

Thanks in advance.
Ian

allisb

Re: Chamberlain Yellow paint code
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2016, 10:19:37 am »
Chamberlain - Love the marque.
Hope someone can help with the paint code. Some paint shops do have a register, so could be worth trying around.
As far as the noise goes, mine is worse in some gears than others. I just put it down to it must have done most of it's work in those gears.
All the best with it.
Rx
I spend most of my pay on old tractors and engines, I tend to waste the rest

allisb

« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2016, 09:04:52 pm »
Oh, and welcome to the forum as well.
Have fun
Rx

Tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2016, 04:13:06 pm »
Thanks for the greetings Rx (or should I call you Alli?).  I'll post a bit more about me and my moneypits (sorry, I meant to say valuable historic industrial artefacts) on the New Members page shortly.
Ian

Tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2017, 12:28:46 pm »
Any takers on Chamberlain yellow paint?

Thanks,
Ian

ince

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2017, 04:12:03 pm »
I don't know what the code is, but have you looked in the Operators/Parts Manual.  Probably one available from the Morawa Historical Society, Western Australia.  If they don't hhave the C670 book, try a C6100 model - same colour.  Good luck.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2017, 04:13:02 pm »
I know that you have been very patient waiting for the paint code and I'm sorry to say that I can't supply the code but nearly all paint stores can colour match what you have so take a small part off the tractor, clean and polish it up and see how you go.
Welcome to the Forum from me as well. Usually if someone has the answer they post it fairly quick but looks like it is a bit of a mystery. I will be having the same problem when it is time to paint our Cropmaster in Hunting Pink. The last project I painted was a Victa Model 1 and I found enough paint under the handles where they attached to the frame to get the original colour and then sat down with some colour charts and got it as close as it could possibly be. I was very happy with the final result so this may be the way to go for you.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

allisb

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2017, 07:20:23 pm »
I had trouble getting the code for the little Allis. They seem to vary so much between paint jobs and I wasn't keen on some of them. The American codes were relatively easy to track down, but strangely the paint shops here didn't want to know about that.
I ended up meeting a bloke with an Allis Dozer that he had painted. The colour was great, that real pumpkin orange. So I had a yarn to him and got a photo of the label on his paint tin.

If you get to some rallies, have a talk to fellow owners and you may strike someone who has painted theirs? Just an idea that worked for me.

Cheers,
Rx

ianoz

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:36:31 pm »
This mob are at Nambor and show that they carry it . JUST double check,As Bare co list it  on a website I googled and their Chamberlain Yellow  looked to be the early Chamberlain Orange
http://tractorshop.com.au/shop/products.php?product=4-LTRS-CHAMBERLAIN-YELLOW
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

Tinkerer

« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2017, 10:59:25 am »
I don't know what the code is, but have you looked in the Operators/Parts Manual.  Probably one available from the Morawa Historical Society, Western Australia.  If they don't hhave the C670 book, try a C6100 model - same colour.  Good luck.
Hi Ince,
Thanks for the suggestion.  I have the Operators/Parts Manual but this list only a Chamberlain Part No. and means nothing to a paint place.
Ian

ince

« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »
Ian, my paint shop in Shepparton scanned a sample of my required colour, a piece of the machine, into their computer, and hey presto, produced a litre (x 2) tin of agricultural enamel!  Perhaps you can find a paint shop with a computer - take in the rear axle, it probably hasn't weathered too much!  Just joking.

Good luck.

David