Author Topic: Auster engine made in Australia.  (Read 4376 times)

Fred Wheeler

Auster engine made in Australia.
« on: 22 January, 2017, 12:56:59 pm »
I have a Auster stationary engine in complete condition. I am seeking more info on this unique engine?

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Auster engine made in Australia.
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2017, 04:13:49 pm »
Hi Fred,
Do you have any other details of the engine to help identify what it is you have?
Model Numbers, piston size if known x stroke etc. The more info offered helps a lot mate.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2017, 07:46:37 pm »
Hi John
There is only one Auster that I know of, no model etc
picture of mine
Ian

Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2017, 08:13:12 pm »

Eric Schulz

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2017, 09:01:02 pm »
Fred, if it is history you are after - you didn't say - I can tell you that Frederick Barnes set up an engineering business at Hamilton in 1915. Main business was motor car repairs. Some time between then and 1919, he produced the Model D engine. It had mechanical inlet and atmospheric exhaust valves. See TOMM 127.
In partnership with Douglas Fraser and Edward Shaw, he patented the Model F, 3.5hp engine in Dec 1919. This was the side valve engine we see at rallies today.
There were also 1.5hp, 8hp twin and 14hp 4 cylinder. Ford T parts were used in the 3.5 and 8hp engines at least.
By Feb 1923 the firm was in liquidation, and everything up for sale.

Eric

Kim S

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2017, 09:50:42 pm »
Seen a number of these over the years the last one at the recent Bookham auction, no idea who bought it, think it sold around the 300 mark ?

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »
It is an interesting looking engine. I like the idea of the tapered air intake tube. Not sure where it started from to get to the carby, might attach to a snail (turbo).  ::)

Fred Wheeler

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:53:46 am »
Thank you all for your information and history provided much appreciated. I will endeavour to gather further information to contribute.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:16:55 am »
It is an interesting looking engine. I like the idea of the tapered air intake tube. Not sure where it started from to get to the carby, might attach to a snail (turbo).  ::)
Hello Cobba
The search feature of this forum finds a lot of information for me. Sometimes it takes some looking through, but generally information is on hand.
Between this picture and Ian's picture, you may see where the intake goes. It seems it goes to an air cleaner or strainer of some sort.
I wonder if the 'trumpet' (what's the bottom of the intake called?) turns to give  choke? I see there is a mounting point which could be a pivot point. I don't really know. I'm only speculating here.  ::)
It's a pretty unique carbi it seems.

Cheers Scott
PS: it looks as though you made it out of the shed. I don't have to ring Dee then?

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2017, 04:56:25 pm »
Yeah strange set up with the 'trumpet'. No not me making anything like that though Dad could've very easily in the past. One thing that I thought of for the shape was to increase the air flow to the carby by it being tapered, hence a slight increase in performance.