Author Topic: Searching for Boulton & Paul Engines  (Read 10034 times)

Dave Carter

• Boulton and Paul Stationary Engines
Searching for Boulton & Paul Engines
« on: 21 December, 2009, 04:11:13 am »

Hello Everyone,
           I am searching for surviving B&P engines with a view to recording their serial numbers in order to try to create a manufacture date list as all production records were destroyed during WW2. I know of eight in Australia. One was scrapped for spares three years ago and the numbers lost, one is/was on an abandoned farmstead near Surat,(Queensland), five I have numbers and pictures of, and this photo, (courtesy of P.M.Livingstone) for which I seek the owner for the serial numbers. Does anyone recognize it, please?

There appears to have been a batch of engines shipped to Australia around 1928/9 and their serial numbers are all within 200 of each other. The importer for Australia was R.R.Foulsier in Sydney.

The others that I have come across can be viewed here:-
http://community.webshots.com/user/BoultonAndPaulEngines

If anyone knows of any other B&Ps I would like to hear from you.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
    Dave Carter.

Northallerton
England.

grumdum

Re: Searching for Boulton & Paul Engines
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:31:24 pm »
Hello Dave
          I have just read your request for any people with Boulton and Paul engines, I have one only the information on the brass plate is as follows
        Model K RPM 1200 Amps 30 Volts 32 series 1936
           there is no engine or plant numbers on the plate
           it was sold by
            Overseas Electrical Distributors
              100 Lonsdale Street  MELBOURNE Australia.
   This engine is a going concern but has had a very hard life with a cracked head (now brazed up)due to frost cracks,I purchased this engine in 2002 at a town called Orange in the central west of New South Wales about 300 kilometers west of Sydney,I have had the engine running a lighting 32 volt globes,it is minus the original fuel and cooling tanks it is easy to start and control.Sorry but i an unable to send photo as my computer skills are very sadly lacking.My email address is frisconan@bigpond.com.au for any questions.

Happy Cranking
          grumdum

Dave Carter

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2009, 07:34:56 am »
  Hello Grumdum,   
       Thanks for your reply and info. Sounds like an Automatic, the last type B&P made.
I'll be in touch through your email address.
Regards, Dave.

tanksmate

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2009, 01:47:08 pm »
Hi Dave,  I have made fuel tanks for two different  B&P owners recently and also know of another. I do not see the owners replying as yet so I will contact them in the new year and see if they will get there details and I will pass them on to you.
Cheers for now and Merry Christmas to you,  John,

Dave Carter

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2009, 07:24:04 am »
Hello John,
        Many thanks for your reply and offer to contact them. I have an engine parts and generator manual, also some sales info on certain models which I could send by email.
Once again, thanks for your help.
Best regards, and Merry Christmas to all,
                              Dave.

jimsiron

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2009, 09:48:00 pm »
Dave,
The pictured engine looks very much like one that belongs to one of our club members, I think this picture was taken at a local show with our local steam clubs Hornsby in the background. I will contact the owner for his serial no.
regards
Jim

Dave Carter

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2009, 09:27:23 pm »
Jim,
  Thank you very much for your offer of help, much appreciated.
  All the best for the New Year.
  Regards, Dave.

Dave Carter

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2014, 08:12:24 am »
   Hello Everyone,

Just a bump for an old thread. I am just trying to catch up on a few loose ends.
  As it is almost the middle of your show season and if anyone spots this, or indeed any other B&P genny, I would be grateful if you would record the details for me.

The Webshots photo listed in my first post has long gone, so have listed one here : 

http://www.boultonandpaulengines.info/apps/photos/photo?photoid=105961551

My thanks for the use of the original photo, courtesy of Patrick Livingstone.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Dave.

UK

32volt

« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2018, 08:47:55 am »
Hi Dave,
i just come across your old post regarding Boulton & Paul lighting plants. We have just recently purchased an example in a very poor state, and were looking for any information if available. The set does have the ID plate and i can email photo's if you are still interested in recording the details.  regards Nico