Author Topic: 6 hp international m type engine  (Read 12472 times)

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
6 hp international m type engine
« on: 06 March, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »
I am currently helping my 15 year old son restore a 1919 understrike 6 hp m type international engine and transport but need a picture of original seat and foot rest set up the brake lever is missing and appears to only have two bolts supporting it to the chassis unlike the later type which have three bolts also the colour of the transport under the grease on the frame it appears to be black also do early transports have the rear axle brace on top or under the chassis.his is on top and looks original by the wear marks any help would be much appreciated thanks Peter.
collector and restorer of stationary engines located in Hamilton Victoria

OLDSiron

• Collector & Restorer of OLDS Gas Engines
Re: 6 hp international m type engine
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2010, 08:47:22 pm »
Hi Peter, here is a pic of a 6hp on original transport,
hope this might help you.
regards Chris.

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2010, 08:59:21 pm »
Hi Chris beautiful engine and transport but need early type you will notice that the hand brake has three bolts two to hold the bracket and one to hold the lever on the chassis.early type only has two holes to mount the lever and bracket and has no lower mount to support the brace on the rear axle.I have checked out a lot of pictures of engines and transports at shows both here and America and your picture is the best i have seen.thanks Peter.

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:05:08 pm »
Here are some pics of an overstrike M on original transporter (and yes the red is original)

Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

m type

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »
hi peter i have parts books here for the m types starting from 1918 and i have never seen a m type with only 2 bolts for the hand break or the brace on top for the axle. now one the other hand the famous does only dave 2 bolts for the band break and has a wood brace/ spacer no top of the axle. if you could show us smoe photos of your transporter we may be able to help better. cam
Engines Ihc m type 1 1/2, 3, 6, 10hp, famous 4,6,10hp bental's 4hp, 9hp, 4hp Waterloo boy, 2hp fealding and platt, and some others.tractors farmalls f12,3xH's, AM, McCormick 10-20, case c, sex, dex, 15-27 cross motor, 15-25 L rumely, 18-36 hart parr, cletrac ad, tea furgy.

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »
Hi cam,have spent all day checking out a couple of transports locally and have found out that the early transport has the axle support over the top of the chassis the later type have an extra hole in the rod support to take the rod and the early type the support rod goes through the bolt hole.also I was incorrect about the hand brake holes I didn't know that the front bolt that holds the wooden end also secured the front of the hand brake support.after cleaning the chassis rails and washing them down it is clear that it was black originally.thanks Peter.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:11:52 pm »
Hi Patrick
                  I have a 6hp over strike that is originally green and all others are I have seen are green, so why is that one red? Is the flywheel colour (green) original? Could it of been a special order
I come across Southern Cross engines that were painted a non original colour for that time the reason being it is what the costumer ordered, especially if it was for military services
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:21:17 pm »
Hi Ian. There was a specific reason it was red but I cannot remember it at the moment. Next time I see the owner I will have to ask him to remind me :(
There is more info on the engine at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/kmorris/Webpages/Amereng.html
Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

AUSDOK

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:00:28 am »
Hi  here is a picture of my 6 hp transporter (I Hope)  Rudy

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #9 on: 08 March, 2010, 06:38:00 pm »
Hi Rudy seem to have it sorted out at present appears that the early transports didn't have any support brace on the rear axle only the flat bar from axle to chassis.the one on Pauls has been added. after checking another transport i discovered that the hand brake is the same on later type and the chassis is definitely black thanks every body for your help cheers peter.

moffy

« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2010, 04:10:41 pm »
Sorry, this is not about 6HP International engines but I am still trying to work out how to get into the forum.  Just thought I'd let you know that there are a couple of sundial engines coming up at a farm sale on 20-3 at Aberdeen NSW. No info on model but Elders are conducting the sale.

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #11 on: 21 October, 2014, 11:56:52 am »
Well it's been a while but finally found the brace i was looking for this is a picture of the correct rear brace on early 6 hp transports the later ones have support legs with the tie bar going underneath the support mount on the early ones have no way of mounting them underneath i have a 1919 and 1920 transport both with this type of brace don't know what year they changed.regards clappo.