Author Topic: Asking for help  (Read 4744 times)

Eric Schulz

Asking for help
« on: 19 January, 2009, 11:03:02 am »
Forums such as this are great places for finding information. To improve your search results, may I make some suggestions.

On forums in general, you are likely to see something like this: “I have just bough a Ford car and was wondering if you can tell me more about it?” Don’t laugh, you may have asked a similar question!

You really need to be more specific. State an exact make and model as far as you know it. Ask what particular information you are looking for. Someone may go to a lot of trouble looking up something you already know. Just because it is obvious to you what your engine looks like, it is not possible for the reader to know unless you describe it.

Being a literature collector, I have personal preferences for the titles of books. I would like the word “manual” deleted from your vocabulary if used in isolation. I don’t know how many times I have heard “I’m looking for a manual”. Yes, what sort of manual? There are 3 basic classifications I use, instruction book, parts book and service book (workshop manual). There are, of course, combinations of these. Instruction books including a parts list and operating instructions combined with service information.

To complicate matters, it is not unusual to find an American parts book titled by the manufacturers as “Repair manual”. This is referring to repair parts (spare parts), but best not used in this country to avoid confusion.

This subject has been on my mind for some time and is not meant as a criticism of any particular person, but to help everyone find the information they seek with the minimum of difficulty.

Eric

hoarder1

• Livin' the high life in Warwick, Qld.
    • Click HERE to see some more of my pictures
Re: Asking for help
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »
Well said, Eric.

The other thing that I would like to add is the need to think about the titles of the threads in the forum.  It makes it all a lot easier to find information via a search later on.

For example, a subject such as 'what colour?' doesn't help anyone, but 'what colour for a Fordson Major?' has some meaning.

I've noticed a few times since moving to the new forum that some people have wondered why we need to split the forum up into interest groups.  Part of the reason is that at least you can find the things that interest you most, even when the thread subject titles invariably become inadequate.

Again, this is not meant as a criticism, just a helpful suggestion.
Collector and fan of ye olde crappe. I collect old number plates.  Have you got any?  Send me a PM if you do.  :-)  I might even trade them for other old junk.

jopeter

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2009, 07:02:45 pm »
I would agree .....what also helps is going to the ''Jump To '' box at the bottom

Stationaryroo79

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2009, 09:02:12 am »
Hi Eric,
          going slightly off topic, I didnt know you collected literature, which is prompting me to ask do you have a copy of the Webster Magneto Mannual or list of which Magneto model goes on which engine, I currently have the mannual or list that identifys each mag bracket for each engine.

Looking forward to your reply

Adam

oldcranker

• Beaudesert, Qld.
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2009, 08:10:57 pm »
I can see where your'e coming from Eric and agree, the "user manual" tells you nothing, the parts manual is outdated and the parts unobtainable, which only leaves one that we're interested in, the workshop manual.
Shayne, what make is the truck in your avatar?? Leyland- Comet??? It's definitly Pommie.
BK

Nothing like a good crank

hoarder1

• Livin' the high life in Warwick, Qld.
    • Click HERE to see some more of my pictures
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:12:42 pm »
Shayne, what make is the truck in your avatar?? Leyland- Comet??? It's definitly Pommie.
Good guess BK.  It is a Leyland, probably a Comet or a Beaver.  I didn't take the photo.  I've emailed you a larger pic for your viewing pleasure.

...the parts manual is outdated and the parts unobtainable
Except that sometimes a picture of a part is better than no part at all.  Helps to make one if you know what you are trying to build.
Collector and fan of ye olde crappe. I collect old number plates.  Have you got any?  Send me a PM if you do.  :-)  I might even trade them for other old junk.