Author Topic: Vickers VR180 Vigor  (Read 14055 times)

Mere Worth

Vickers VR180 Vigor
« on: 10 March, 2011, 12:50:41 pm »
I have recently inherited a Vickers VR180 Vigor Bulldozer that still runs. Does anyone know what its value is or who I should contact to find out?

Teddy

Re: Vickers VR180 Vigor
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »
Hey mate
There was one advertised for sale in TOMM probably 3 years ago now. Was asking big , like BIG dollars. Don't know if it sold or not.
Teddy

ianoz

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »
 Hi Teddy , There was 2 models of the vickers . As far as i know the one advertised was the smaller very rare one. I have a friend that bought one . I am not privvy to what he paid , but i would say it was not a great deal more than scrap metal price ..

I guess if someone is looking for one for their collection they could be willing to pay what they consider to be reasonable money .

I would suggest an expressions of interest in the TOMM classifyeds , see what interest there is..I will ask on a fcouple of english forums and see if there is any interest . Ian .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

Teddy

« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:40:13 pm »
Ian
Thanks for that. I guess Mere Worth will follow up various lines of enquiry. There were a few Vickers working in Tassie 40-50 years ago, but I haven't seen one here in a long time. Gone to the great scrapyard in the sky I guess.

Good luck Mere Worth, tell us how you go, please.
Teddy

ianoz

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2011, 08:59:43 am »
 Hi Teddy , Well i did get anwers on the other forums . I then sent an email to Mere worth .

As we have no way of knowing if Mere Worth has  come back to see our replys  i Emailed . Have not got any reply back . But for any others reading  this  benifit  after the 180 there was a new model released . This was to try and rectify the promlems with the first model . New model was 110 , with only 20 built . I am fairly sure that one of this model was the one for sale in TOMM .. One of the first replies i recieved on the english forum was from a tasmamian .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more

Mere Worth

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2011, 02:46:29 pm »
Hi Teddy & Ian,

Sorry for the delayed response & thanks for all your info.

I would hate to see this piece of history sent to the 'Great Scrap yard in the Sky'.. but I do have to find a home for it.

Ill take a look to see if its a 110 & let you know.

Guess the best way to see if anyone is interested is the Tomm Classifieds as you suggested - Ian, please let your friend know about me incase he wants another one for his collection!

Thanks again,

Mere

HardWorkingMan

« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2011, 11:00:45 pm »
Hi Mere Worth

Where are you (locality will do - don't need street address) as it may help generate interest in your local area

Bruce

ianoz

« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »
 Hi Mere worth , As bruce said  , a location would be a big help ..It would be a very interesting machine to have , but the size of it being the biggest draw back . We have a tilt tray but the Vickers would be beyound its  capasity .I am going to a rally next weekend ,so i can ask around if anyone is interested . Ian .

ianoz

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2011, 10:24:43 pm »
 Hi Mere Worth , Talked to a guy at the rally i went to at the weekend ,who would be interested  in the vickers  .Where abouts are you? Ian .

Vickers Vikon

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2011, 09:43:29 am »
Hi Mere Worth:  approx 900 Vickers VR180/Vigor models were built. VR180 was first production model, followed by Vigor in 2000, 3000, and finally 6000 series. The Vickers Vikon was a smaller version of the VR180/Vigor and a total of only 21 of these were made. There is no confusion between these crawlers as the VR180/Vigors had a six cylinder supercharged Rolls Royce diesel (some had six cylinder turbocharged Cummins diesel rated at 210hp) whilst the Vikon had a four cylinder supercharged Rolls Royce diesel only. Only 21 Vikons were made and all but 4 were exported from UK. One went to NZ and is still in existence in running order. Three came to Australia, one of which is in my collection and also in running order. The other 2 Australian imports seem to have dropped out of sight and most probably were broken up for scrap years ago ! It's always nice to know that another one of these crawlers has survived in running order as they are getting somewhat scarce these days. Can't help with price but you could always try an ad in TOMM. Transport could also be an issue. If you need any more info let me know..............Vickers Vikon

ianoz

« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »
 Welcome to the forum VV.Always nice to see another tractor / crawler person onboard . Would you care to share a photo of your Vikon ? Ian .

Vickers Vikon

« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2011, 08:03:53 pm »
Hi ianoz............none of my archive photos seem to be compatible with forum. Can email some photos if you want. Vikon came from out west (Qld) and was mainly used for pushing scrub etc. Runs nice but track gear needs some TLC. Intention was to restore her like my VR180 but realistically this probably won't happen now. Anyhow, they keep each other good company in my shed !....Vickers Vikon

tracttap

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2011, 10:39:24 am »
Hi all,
There use to be a Vickers crawler on the right side of the Princes Hwy south of Nowra, as abit of bill board for an Earth Mover, unsure of name, machine had moved up from Wandandian. This machine is now no longer on the side of the road and the place was forsale/sold. So to where this machine moved I don't know.
Regards Nigel

Vickers Vikon

« Reply #13 on: 24 April, 2011, 08:23:53 am »
Hi all............Vickers VR180/Vigors are definitely getting scarce these days and the one Mere Worth has inherited sounds interesting for a potential buyer/enthusiast They are lots of fun and don't drive like your average rigid track frame crawler.!They use a fully articulated track system. They are also FAST ! Can do nearly 10 MPH in top gear. That's travelling for a big track layer and approx twice as fast as any other crawler of that era. Engine parts are still available new for the Rolls engine but a bit expensive ex UK. Best to grab a Vickers before they all end up as scrap. As with all things mechanical they had a few issues but really they are quite unique and probably destined to be collectable in years to come.....Vickers Vikon

Mere Worth

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2011, 03:24:09 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your info - I now understand why my grandfather was so attached to his Vickers Vigor!

We are in the NSW Southern Highlands which is about half way between Sydney & Canberra.

I understand the size of her might be a problem but we are right on the highway so access is great, and she still goes!

Any takers?

Mere