Author Topic: Marshall colonial traction engine  (Read 8974 times)

martyn

Marshall colonial traction engine
« on: 20 November, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »
Have you ever sold an engine and wondered what happened to it or where is it now? Twenty years ago l sold a Marshall colonial traction engine number 52277 ,l think it was approx 1910,does any know what its been up to since then, rallies? Is it still in the country? thanks Martyn

fowler4826

Re: Marshall colonial traction engine
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2011, 12:32:12 pm »
I don't know where it is but the good thing is I can't find it on the list of exported engines. What state was it located in there is a lot of Marshall's in Tas.
 cheers Jason.

martyn

« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2011, 06:55:08 pm »
Hi there Jason ,It was a goer when sold, l bought it from Greta West [Victoria] in the early 70s retubed it after l moved it to Spotswood {Melbourne} , it finished up on a property at Glen innes [ norther NSW] from which it was finally sold,running order but not fully restored. Its  the American style engine with a clutch inside the fly wheel & steam dome....cheers Martyn

mungo

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2011, 08:39:29 pm »
Speaking to my dad and he thinks that the Late Todd Waston brought the engine and sold it to a guy in Bendigo and brought it back from him.
It was at the Melbourne Steam Club for a while then taken to Echuca Steam Rally in the early eighties. Todd still had the engine in his collection and my still be in Albury. From memory it had the back wheels cut down as it had wide wheels on it. I might even have picture.

martyn

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2011, 12:37:38 pm »
Hi there ......  l know Tod watsons Marshall it's identical to the traction engine l owned ,its number is 52110 ,my engine number was 52277 "must have been my engines older brother", thanks for your feed back ,l'm sure we all wonder where that engine,car or bike we owned years back is now,where it ended up? thanks Martyn

martyn

« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2012, 03:04:12 pm »
Further to my investigation to the where abouts of this engine,l happened to be looking on the internet "List of known exported engines " ,among the names of people who owned engines before export was Wayne Allsop -four times various engines ,this name rang a bell...l checked my records & sure enough l sold my "Marshall " to him back in 1992. May be he has since sold it on to a UK buyer ? There is a Marshall Colonial Engine given clearance 2007  ,is that it?,if so l'm a little sorry to think another piece of our industial  history has left our shores.

Monster

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2012, 10:00:59 pm »
Hasn't been exported, I was poking around at Tod's about three months ago on my way through.  It is still undercover down the back of the lot with what is left.

I took a few photos at the time... can send them through if you are interested. 

martyn

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2012, 08:07:10 pm »
Thanks Monster ,That Colonial Marshall at Tods is identical to the engine l owned but is numbered 52110  ,where as my makers plate read number 52277 , it was used  by the "STATE RIVERS COMMISSION" originally   .Appreciate your help,we'll keep looking ................it will turn up some where! all the best ...cheers 

Monster

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2012, 05:58:08 pm »
Roger, Sorry about that, should have read the previous post a bit better.

I will keep an eye out in my travels, hopefully it will turn up.

« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2012, 11:55:25 am »
There is one in Queensland the person that owned it was called Tony i think he got on to me via ebay after being losing bidder on some thing Marshall about 5 years ago i will trawl my email could well still be there some where.

Richard Day

« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2017, 06:52:39 am »
I have a semi derelict Marshall Colonial Traction Engine here in the UK under full restoration. It passed through a few owners in the UK before I got hold of it. There is no serial number or history, only"136" stamped on the boiler bracket and "E1946" on the boiler hornplate. I believe it spent its working life out in Tasmania. It's a two speed engine, no clutch, flat rear strakes. Came back into the UK approx 2010?
Would be very grateful if anyone can shed any light?
Thanks, Richard
+44 (0) 1522 778434
I am located in Lincolnshire, UK, approx 15 miles from the old Marshall works at Gainsborough.

ianoz

« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2017, 04:14:27 pm »
Welcome to TOMM forum Richard .
I had a quick look ,The original poster has not been logged in here for nearly 2 years .That is not to say he has not looked in without logging in .Maybe some one that knows him can pass on a message about your post .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

Richard Day

« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2017, 08:05:17 pm »
Thanks for the welcome ianoz - hopefully someone may pass the message on. I will also post details on the New Members Cafe.