Author Topic: Gibb Key Puller Tool  (Read 6066 times)

*hatman*

• "Grooovy"
Gibb Key Puller Tool
« on: 23 April, 2012, 02:47:22 pm »
This is a gibb key puller tool that I manufactured in my spare time. The slot in the end of the pipe is designed to slip neatly over the gibb key and once past the head of the key you then rotate the tool so that the head of the key is locked behind the end plate of the tool. The two socket head cap screws are adjusted to ensure that the forcing bolt remains centered when the bolt is tightened.

I had two end plates laser cut to snug fit into the end of the pipe. These were bevelled to allow welding in.

You need to use a proper forcing bolt as any normal bolt will "pop" and slip the thread when the pressure is applied.

This tool was custom designed to suit the crankshaft diameter of a 4HP Rosebery Moffat and the hole in the end of the tool can be made bigger or smaller to suit the diameter of the crankshaft and the depth of the gibb key.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Gibb Key Puller Tool
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2012, 03:40:36 pm »
Cheers, thanks for the pics and description.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

*hatman*

• "Grooovy"
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2012, 05:17:55 pm »
Extra info: The puller tool is 63mm bore 250 grade pipe and each end piece is laser cut 8mm 250 plate steel. They don't laser cut any thicker, well not around my way anyway. Where the forcing bolt goes into the body of the tool here is a slightly oversize hole with a nut welded on the inside which the bolt threads through. Hope this helps. Perhaps Tomm could have a tool and jig idea section for the Forum??

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2012, 07:48:02 pm »
Another Gibb key puller, much like yours hatman but you you dont have to file down the key
http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/gibpull/index.htm
For you be able to remove the key without braking where it was filled down
the key could not of been too tight. I have had keys that tight I have pulled the head of
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

*hatman*

• "Grooovy"
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:07:42 pm »
Thanks Ian,

I seen this site and it gave me the original idea.

Had I made the hole in the end of the puller tool larger in diameter this would not only have allowed me to use the tool on larger diameter crankshafts, but also have negated the need to cut into the old gibb key. I am working on an improved version 2 of this and will post pics in due course. Thanks again.

Phil

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:04:43 am »
Hello.
I reckon you could save yourself a lot of work.
Here is one I made up and it tore the head off the gib key.
I needed up drilling the key but that's another story.
The force you can exert with 3 bolts as compared to one is tremendous.
Only disadvantage is this 3 bolt style can mark the flywheel paint.
Advantage is flywheel can be anywhere on the crankshaft and only short bolts needed.
Advantage is the end of the crank cannot be damaged or splayed out.

It looks as though I cannot get pictures or hyperlinks to work.
Here's a link to the picture
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hhQsz3qNM4s/Tw_vQj2tzGI/AAAAAAAAAYc/nRbuTwY3sMM/s640/IMAG0025.jpg

And the story
http://forums.tomm.com.au/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Cheers Scott