Author Topic: newly aquired Ronaldson tippett CF diesel  (Read 27631 times)

adtrac

• Keeping History Alive
newly aquired Ronaldson tippett CF diesel
« on: 02 January, 2013, 09:33:57 pm »
 Firstly, Happy New Year to all.
 Yesterday i was able to aquire a ronaldson tippett CF diesel engine that is in need of restoration,
 I am unsure of hp as plate is missing i think from info that i have found it may be 6hp .
 It turns over is compleate .
 Few items that need fixing is the injector pump (frozen) and the injector itself that has been rusted probably beyond repair.
 Does any one have an injector that they would be willing to sell.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: newly aquired Ronaldson tippett CF diesel
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:00:28 pm »
Our CD Lister 8hp started out that way, frozen pump and rack and the injector as an unknow stae. I soaked the pump for some time and found some exploded views of the pump so I could try to put it back together to look the same as the picture. This, for me, (learning about a diesel) took a few attempts but in the end I won and it started pumping againa nd the rack was free and moving. With the injector it too was soaking for some time and all I removed was the nozzle and a little valve of some sort in side and freed it up and put it back together. Luckily for me it worked and now the engine starts and runs.
Hopefully yours will have the same outcome.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

oceans15

• rust is a must - Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:31:28 pm »
where are you adtrac? - I have 3 cf's running and know of some spare parts around the place... maybe add your location to your profile and post a picture of your cf - the fuel pump is very easy to clean out and free up - just take careful note of the alignment marks and orientation of the element. Kero is a better solvent than diesel and paint thinners is even better for cleaning. Reassemble parts from a clean container of kero. If the pump element plunger is stuck inside it can be gently tapped out from the top with a pin punch after removal of the delivery valve - do not undo the grub screw in the body of the fuel pump as this will break the internal seal between the element and the pump body. The crankshaft has the serial number stamped into one end if you want to know the year. Cheers
Piston pumps, Australs and Diesel Ronnies - Inboard Marine engines - Eatons Hill - Qld

adtrac

• Keeping History Alive
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2013, 06:22:38 pm »
oceans 15 
My location is Middleton South Australia and my email address appears next to my posting
 The pump is a cav and is stuck at this stage but i am not to worried by this at this stage however the injector cover is missing and has become badly rusted to the point thay would be beyond repair
i am hoping to get hold of another injector  if possible .
 I dont know age of motor but as you say the engine number tells the story      number 15739

adtrac

• Keeping History Alive
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2013, 07:01:11 pm »
 I have found a photo of an early injector to show what i am after , mine looks idential apart from top cap.

tangyeoilengine

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2013, 07:44:37 pm »
I am also after some parts for one of these if anybody has a set of push rods, inlet valve rocker, shaft and little spring and an air filter housing, it would be great.

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:29:44 am »
Hi Tangyeoilengine,what type of air filter housing are you chasing as they had two types should have the other parts that you need will swap for a CE twin crank handle if you can find one cheers Peter.
collector and restorer of stationary engines located in Hamilton Victoria

tangyeoilengine

« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:51:37 pm »
Have you got a pic of the handle you need? My air filter is the one that has 3 bolts holding it on the flywheel side of the engine.

oceans15

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2013, 06:27:36 pm »
October 1939 is the test month of #15739 according to my R&T date list.
Piston pumps, Australs and Diesel Ronnies - Inboard Marine engines - Eatons Hill - Qld

adtrac

• Keeping History Alive
« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2013, 06:32:56 pm »
injector pump now free , was not stuck much at all, just a bit of a clean with emery paper and a very gentle tap and now it is all moving freely.
still trying to chase up a injector here locally but i dont think i can be guarranteed of getting one.

oceans15

« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2013, 09:01:58 pm »
hey adam - i finally acquired a twin flywheel cf today (same as yours) and is a 6hp ronny per the tag.
its from december '38 - cheers

adtrac

• Keeping History Alive
« Reply #11 on: 29 January, 2013, 05:26:58 pm »
good stuff where did you pick that up from?
I am still wating on the outcome of possibly repairing my injector on my cf so being a little bored decided to get my little xd cooper put back together with a heap of parts that i have sourced to suit , running not to bad at present.

adtrac

• Keeping History Alive
« Reply #12 on: 09 February, 2013, 08:24:01 pm »
 Been playing with the ronaldson tippet today after hearing that my injector is ready to be picked up on sunday.
While turning engine over i am hearing a clunk clunk , (sounding like a tight valve snapping shut) but they are working okay  any ideas as what the noise is or is it normal , injecteor not fitted as yet .

oceans15

« Reply #13 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:00:51 pm »
Heya Adam - they are not silent when turning over - mine make some noise but run fine when started - I have a rebuilt 6.5hp and a low hours barn find 5hp (plus others) and they all sound about the same - maybe take the crankcase inspection cover off and check small & big end etc by hand if you are worried about it and want some peace of mind before starting. Let me know if she goes - I am well on the way through building a transport for my twin flywheel CF before starting - cheers

adtrac

• Keeping History Alive
« Reply #14 on: 23 February, 2013, 12:12:21 pm »
The ronaldson tippet is alive.
Had some fellas come over to watch the engine start one of whom  rebuilt the injector  , but had trouble getting it going , eventally we had it running only for about 30 secs at a time .
the fellas went home but about 10 mins later i put some more tension on gov spring and stopped an air leak that i found and away she went.
I just need to permanently fix a few air leaks and all shuld be good .
commpression has come way up also .