Author Topic: WORTHINGTON Steam driven PUMP.  (Read 5468 times)

shubys tractor farm

• SUFFERING SEVERELY FROM RUSTY IRON DISEASE.
WORTHINGTON Steam driven PUMP.
« on: 15 January, 2015, 04:49:44 pm »
I am seeking help in regard to information about a WORTHINGTON Steam Pump - 2 cylinder.  I have one which is complete other than oiler - Made in USA S/N 140063  76x38x76 OR 3 x 1.5 x 3  which I am currently restoring - second one is incomplete in that it is missing the pistons and rods between them and the end heads, but this one is made in Australia and is s/n 7608 3 x 2 x 3.
  I have searched the internet and have come up with very little info.  It would not be hard to make the missing parts for the second unit by copying them from the complete one.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks - Shubys Tractor Farm.

franco

Re: WORTHINGTON Steam driven PUMP.
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2015, 04:44:32 pm »
I am seeking help in regard to information about a WORTHINGTON Steam Pump - 2 cylinder.  I have one which is complete other than oiler - Made in USA S/N 140063  76x38x76 OR 3 x 1.5 x 3  which I am currently restoring - second one is incomplete in that it is missing the pistons and rods between them and the end heads, but this one is made in Australia and is s/n 7608 3 x 2 x 3.
  I have searched the internet and have come up with very little info.  It would not be hard to make the missing parts for the second unit by copying them from the complete one.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks - Shubys Tractor Farm.

If you go to this thread:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=143904&page=14

and start at post number 531 you will find a very comprehensive account of the rebuilding of a Worthington pump, complete with excellent descriptive photos. Unfortunately the items relating to this pump are not all in one place (they should be for future reference!) - you will have to scroll through the rest of the posts until quite recently and pick out the ones related to the Worthington pump.  The series finished  with the second video of the pump running  after it suffered an unrelated broken casting after the original overhaul was completed.

Frank.

Cairns, Queensland

shubys tractor farm

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2015, 05:45:40 pm »
G'day Frank - thanks for your reply- I tried looking up your reference but got lost in the huge amount of STUFF - did not find what you were referring to - would love to have seen this - anyway Thanks Mate shubys tractor farm.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2015, 08:05:00 pm »
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

shubys tractor farm

« Reply #4 on: 17 January, 2015, 02:08:23 pm »
YEP - found it. Thanks Franco and Rustyengines. Shubys Tractor Farm.

franco

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2015, 03:03:51 am »
Dean,

I get the impression that you may not have seen all the posts relating to the Worthington pump. Using the post numbers on the right hand side of the post headings starting with post number 531 in my link above, the following posts, mostly illustrated, relate to the complete rebuilding of the pump including many descriptions of suggested machining set ups and a couple of videos of the pump actually running under steam.

531, 538, 539, 571, 574, 579, 584, 594, 634, 639, 644, 645, 650, 655, 656, 657,658, 664,666,674, 680.

This is a very valuable resource for anyone undertaking this task, and, as you said, this information is no longer readily available elsewhere.

Regards,

Frank.
Cairns, Queensland

jopeter

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:25:06 pm »
They are a good little pump and work quite well on compressed air . I had some installed in a tank farm ,used them to pump out the condensation from the bottom of the tanks .

shubys tractor farm

« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:34:58 pm »
G'day Franco - What you did not tell me was that I had to login - and become a member of this site Well I have done so -so now I hope to view these sites - on your word- I hope it all works and is worth it - chears all- and thanks so much for your help - I will post photos and more story when I learn how to so do this . Shubys tractor farm.