Author Topic: 3HP SUNSHINE TWO - STROKE  (Read 22972 times)

sunshine man

Re: 3HP SUNSHINE TWO - STROKE
« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2015, 01:23:56 pm »

Hi austral
These engine are very easy to make run, you  may  be  to advanced in timing  try about 10 btdc with a timlng light , the guaze does not stop  the engine back firing into crankcase  it stop the flame from igniting fuel in the crankcase  try this put a match under a piece of guaze heat comes through but not the flame . If you use aerostart (cant hurt the engine in any way) if you engine does not start you dont lend up with a crankcase full of raw  fuel like you do when using petrol to prime , raw petrol also dillutes you oil in the crankcase (not good)
I have built many from start and from bits and pieces I honestly think they would have to be the easiest engines to work on and make run , you will get there ill post my home no in pm if you want to make contact
Regards sunshineman

Austral

« Reply #16 on: 25 August, 2015, 04:14:11 pm »
Thank you Sunshineman, I would like to have a chat on the land line. A PM would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Austral.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #17 on: 25 August, 2015, 06:49:19 pm »
Hello
Mine back fired when I got it. I put some scruntched brass wire in the port and backfiring stopped. It was a fair old chunk of brass mesh that went in there making sure there were no gaps for air/fuel mixture to sneek about.
I love Uncle Ray (it's name) as an engine. He starts so easily and runs all day with no hassles at all.

Cheers Scott

Austral

« Reply #18 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:49:04 pm »
Hi Scott,
Yes, I know about Uncle Ray. You told me about the wire when I started the original thread on this subject  about twelve months ago. See page 7of this forum.
Can you advise where might I be able to source some of that copper / brass wire?
Cheers,
Austral.

Scott

« Reply #19 on: 25 August, 2015, 08:49:32 pm »

Can you advise where might I be able to source some of that copper / brass wire?
Cheers,
Austral.
Hello.
In my shed would be a good place to look.
Just send a PM with postage details and I'll bung some in the post.

Cheers Scott

Scott

« Reply #20 on: 26 August, 2015, 07:11:55 am »
Hello again
Some more good places to look for some copper wire suitable to do this job are the scrap yard, local electrical contractor or electrical wholesaler.
You'll need about 3m of strand.
If you get from the scrapyard look for the small diameter wire with about 7 strands of copper wire in it. If from the local electrical contractor or wholesaler ask for some 7/0.67 (pronounced 7067) or stranded 2.5mm in either sdi, twin, twin and earth or building wire. 7067 twin and earth is everyday, run of the mill power point wire Power point wire can be brought from Bunnings and the like as well.
Simply strip the plastic off, unwind the 7 strands and then you have 7 strands of copper wire. Use one of the strands and kind of roll it up and scrunch it into like a scourging pad like setup. I soldered each end as well so there was no chance of the strand becoming unraveled and entering the combustion chamber.
Buying it locally may well be cheaper then postage now-a-days.

Cheers Scott

Mr Craig

« Reply #21 on: 26 August, 2015, 02:32:54 pm »
The way the post charges now it would most definately be cheaper to buy it locally at Bunnings.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #22 on: 26 August, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »
Not sure if it would work but I have a small amount of stainless steel mesh which is finer than fly screen mesh. It originally was a product called Termi-Mesh for white ant proofing new homes. There is always some on a building site now. Just scrunch up a ball of that stuff.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Scott

« Reply #23 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:19:05 pm »
Hello Cobba
The reason I used brass was simply in case of a bit of the wire entering the combustion chamber. Brass will not do as much damage as steel....hopefully.

Cheers Scott

sunshine man

« Reply #24 on: 26 August, 2015, 10:17:50 pm »
Hi there cobba ,
                   If you use  mesh in port it should be similar to original if fine like in your description port timing would possibley be later and as it oil and carboned up with use it would become later still engine would be lower on power and not respond as well to adjusments this applies to all 2 strokes .  And if it is too coarse it would be early causing similar problems .I use stainless mesh similar in size to original rolled and shaped like a banana , in 3 hp just below inlet port and for extra security 2 retaining scerws like 7 hp's .why stainless? It holds it shape not likely to move
In conclusion these engines will run with out the mesh (not recommended) the problem austral is having I dont think it is the mesh , another thought muffler and fishtail are they correct 2 strokes old and new require some back pressure to make the scavenge system work properly .these old 2 strokes can be very forgiving with a few parts serviced well I hope this helps a little

Regards sunshineman

winchester

« Reply #25 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:00:07 am »
Re the exhaust ,I was never able to find a fishtail for my engine so I fabricated one ,it works Ok even with the extension pipe . I have a spare exhaust that I dont want ....a CI fishtail would be nice ??

sunshine man

« Reply #26 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:20:56 am »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0bTueMo_r0

This is my 5hp 1915 sunshine engine
 It is engine number 599. This engine has a sleeved bore, New big end bearing, crankshaft ground, homemade mesh in port (as described in previous post) (the exhaust pipe had to be restricted to give proper back pressure to make this motor run perfect) also I delibrately left the fish tail off.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #27 on: 27 August, 2015, 04:47:09 pm »
Very nice, it does run quite well.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Austral

« Reply #28 on: 29 August, 2015, 09:34:32 am »
Following a recent post by Sunshine man,  I cut a piece of copper gauze to roughly the shape and size of a cigarette paper. This was rolled into a cylinder, shaped to fit in the transfer port and fitted fom the bottom, having previously removed the cylinder. I made it a tight fit and used a flat punch to drift it to just below the inlet. If there is a need for it to be removed, it could be turned ninety degrees and withdrawn with a wire hook. The cylinder was then re-fitted and I am yet to test the modification. On a related subject, these small Sunshines must have been assembled by dwarfs as there is only one hand hole in the crankcase and not enough space to access the con-rod bolts. The only method I can see to fit the rod and piston is to prepare the big end cap and shims, complete with bolts stuck with heavy grease and offer it to the crank at 12 o'clock, then lower the rod onto it, taking care not to dislodge the bolts in the process. Nothing like the 7hp which has two decent sized hand holes and plenty of space to tighten the nuts. 
I hope I have made some progress,
Austral.        '     

winchester

« Reply #29 on: 29 August, 2015, 09:53:19 am »
For some strange reason I find that i am unable to attach an image .So I am just going to try again . If it succeds it will have no relevance to the subject ............................It did not work but it does on another site , the optiom to upload has gone,anyone got any idea's?? I have reduced the file size ,still no upload option.