Author Topic: 3HP SUNSHINE TWO - STROKE  (Read 22977 times)

lanzalldog

Re: 3HP SUNSHINE TWO - STROKE
« Reply #60 on: 25 July, 2016, 08:11:19 pm »
Hi Austral,
Do you have the gauze fitted on the carb where the air enters.I have a feeling that the correct gauze could help.

sunshine man

« Reply #61 on: 25 July, 2016, 10:29:15 pm »
Hi lanzalldog
     Early engines did not have a filter screen and did not suffer dribble problems .
 It is possible that the fibre disc is running on the cam and the cam retaining ring , this happens if the valve stroke on the tappet is too long.
I wish I could have a fiddle with this engine I think I could solve the problem.
As stated before a big percentage of these had a worn valve and guide causing crankcase pulses to come back through the intake instead of into the combustion chamber, this resulted in air rushing over the jet when at this time the air should be static this would cause the much talked about carby dribble . (Some solved the problem by loading the engine ) the only air passing over the jet should be inwards .
It is also possible but unlikely the port timing is incorrect due to meshing .
I have made a 5 hp run at less than 100 rpm by reducing the air intake and in return increases the veloicity stil no fuel dribble .
The use of  modern fuels can cause some problems it is worth trying to mix some shellite in the fuel , austral may be able to lean of the mixture a bit and see if this helps.
I think I did post a 3 hp video on this forum from memory it had no screem mesh on the carby.
I hope we can get this engine so austral can be confident in rallying this engine with out a problem
Regards sunshineman

lanzalldog

« Reply #62 on: 26 July, 2016, 07:27:47 am »
Thanks Sunshineman.

It is a pitty there is  not a place where all this info could be put and found easily later on .

Mick Christie

« Reply #63 on: 26 July, 2016, 03:55:02 pm »
All the 3hp sunshine' s I had over the years always had the same dribbling problem and all I did was make new jets with a smaller hole in it and it solved the problem with each one. No dribbling and they run much better as  u could adjust the mixture much better too. The jets in the 3hp are exactly the same as whats in the 5hp engines. The jet is ok in the 3hp if its under load but for rally running was a bit too big.
collector of exotic american built sideshaft engines in gippsland victoria

sunshine man

« Reply #64 on: 26 July, 2016, 04:21:25 pm »
Hi mick
         It is worth a try  with the jet .all the ones I worked on the dribble was solved by the valve repair .
 Just a view I think these engines would not have had these problems when new .they are in fact a 2 stroke hit and miss style of engine that in operation waiting to perform it's service it would surely do this with out the dribbles.
 I can only assume if the farmer purchased one new took it home started the engine before it was loaded up and  dribble a much valued resource all over the ground he would not be a happy chappy.
This is the angle or view I approach the restoration of these engine on.
But by all means try the jet modification, you may be able achieve the same result by reworking the needle to reach further into the jet.
Kind regards sunshineman

Austral

« Reply #65 on: 27 July, 2016, 03:08:18 pm »
Hello Michael,
Do you recall the size of the smaller hole in the jets that you made? The standard size appears to be 1/16" or possibly less. The jet from the problem engine is certainly bigger than 1/16", probably worn by the needle being screwed down hard over many years of work.
There was none of this rubbish with the 7hp I had at the Wandin field days in 2004, you made some minor adjustments to it on its' maiden outing.
Regards,
John. 

Petter1922

• Two stroke and all the smoke 👍
    • Ash
« Reply #66 on: 06 September, 2020, 01:32:10 pm »
I?m a new sunshine 3hp owner... I?ve 15 petter m types and you just put a handle to them and they start.. well with a good mag... straight on paraffin no bother...to be fair nice to have a challenge 👍
Two stroke fan... I have petter m and s types of varying sizes... hamworthys.. also into french stuff...

Austral

« Reply #67 on: 17 September, 2020, 05:05:07 pm »
I see that my thread started some five years ago has now been revived.
Does some knowledgeable person happen to know the correct drill size for the carburettor jet of the Sunshine 3hp two stroke?
I have had this cursed engine for some six odd years and, in spite of it being in generally good condition I have not been able to overcome the problem of flooding when the governor valve opens. It has been suggested that the jet may be too large and therefore I seek advice as to the original correct size.   
Here's hoping,
Austral.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #68 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:22:31 pm »
Hi Austral,
You have been very patient with this one and it will pay off soon enough. sunshineman may well have the specification for the jet you are after otherwise another member which check it out on their engine.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Austral

« Reply #69 on: 29 November, 2020, 09:33:29 pm »
It now appears that after some five or six years this thread may now be put to bed.
There were originally two engines involved and, after finding one had a cracked piston on which the bottom part of the skirt broke away, it was taken by sunshine man for some parts to complete his unique one off aircooled version.   
Following long periods of hibernation and, having taken on board some valuable advice from sunshine man, together with my own general learning by the trial and error method,  the engine has now changed from an absolute mongrel destined for the tip, to one that will hopefully soon be a little sweetie. It now starts instantly and runs quite well. With some finer adjustments to the air valve and carburettor it will probably only get better.
Thanks to all respondents for your various comments on this thread over the years.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #70 on: 01 December, 2020, 02:47:15 pm »
You bloody ripper!
Well done, you must be so happy to have brought it back to life again. Hopefully a video link will appear here for us all to admire.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.