Author Topic: Tool 1  (Read 139586 times)

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Re: Tool 1
« Reply #30 on: 23 May, 2016, 02:25:27 pm »
2 part bras screwdriver, the end screws out for a smaller screwdriver yes I have seen ones that are similar but not one the same as this
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #31 on: 23 May, 2016, 05:02:05 pm »
I've never seen a double screw driver for a bra before!  ::)
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

rustyengines

« Reply #32 on: 23 May, 2016, 06:08:05 pm »
Hi John my computer has gone walkabout and trying to get used to a small tabet where I can't see what I'm typing 'bras' or for a edit button if only for 10 miniuts
BRASS
Ian

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #33 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:42:44 am »
This tool is for drilling holes in vee belts, specifically on early belt drive motorcycles. Originally, every rider that had a belt drive bike would have had one in his tool kit.
Hello all
What a champ is that tractor fan  :D
I was fairly close thinking a hole maker in leather belts but there is no way I would have imagined v-belts.
Would it be possible to scan the rest of that page Mr Fan of tractors? Why would you need to bung holes in perfectly good fanbelts?

Kim has the spoke arris/taper maker/spoke pointer gizmo right. Pop's first trade was wheelwright
What about the second dodad with the scale on the side? Any ideas?

I would love to see someone with any skill use these items. I am very envious of you Justin. I have played around with them but I cannot make them 'sing their song' properly.
I too listen to the old farts. They've been doing things for so long now they know the 'tricks of the trade' and my train of thought is...if they know, I want to know.

Cheers Scott
PS: my pop used to have 3 of those small brass screwdrivers fitting into each other. He used them on ignitions. He had them in a roll of tools especially for ignitions. He had different sets of magneto spanners, small spanners, points files, screwdrivers, small oiler and greaser and a few other tools in his roll. I don't know where the roll is now  :(
At least I have a set of his magneto spanners  :)

rustyengines

« Reply #34 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:24:48 am »
This was saved from a shed fire a few years back, a steam recording tool?
The amaizing part there was no damage inside even to the recording paper
Ian

rustyengines

« Reply #35 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:26:38 am »
More pictures
Ian

tractorfan

« Reply #36 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:41:50 pm »
Would it be possible to scan the rest of that page Mr Fan of tractors? Why would you need to bung holes in perfectly good fanbelts?
Happy to help Scott, I've got a collection odd tools and I like identifying them where I can.

These weren't  so much used for fan belts, more drive belts on veteran motorcycles. The reason they used these punches was that they used very long vee belts, it was easier to use a section of belt and use a link joiner. If you get to see a restored veteran bike today, it’ll most likely have a joiner similar to this one, or they’ll use a belt made up of small links, something like a Whittle or Brammer belt.

I can't remember where I got that scan from; I did it a while ago. You could use the tool on any vee belt, really, but these tools were originally marketed towards motorcyclists.

franco

« Reply #37 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:03:20 pm »
Hello Ian,
Any chance of some more odd bod tools?

Cheers Scott

Scott,
Here are a few more tools which used to be quite common - not so much now though. On #4 the red clamp is only there to allow the end of the tool to be seen.
The 2000 on #3, the eclipse tool, is not a date: it is at least 40 years old. The V block on #5 is clamped onto the bar and can be moved along the bar. If you miss any of them I will give the answer later.

A bit more history to add to tractorfan's identification of the V belt punch. I used to have an old book published in 1920 in which the author gave some of his experiences with motor bikes from the middle 1890s on. Unfortunately the book disappeared during one of our house moves, but I remember his description of the "boot lace belts" that were used prior to the introduction of Vee belts. These were just a long thin strip of leather twisted into a tight spiral, with the two ends joined with a"little meat hook".

In dry weather on dusty roads they would glaze and slip, in wet conditions they would stretch and slip. This was a nuisance, but was easily fixed by cutting a bit off one end of the belt and rejoining the ends. When the belts got old and brittle it paid to carry a generous supply of spare hooks. If you cut too much off, you would just unwind a few turns of the spiral, and hey presto, your belt would become longer.

It sounds, from the need to carry a Vee belt punch, as though the early Vee belts may have suffered from some of the same problems as the earlier leather belts.

Frank.
Cairns, Queensland

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #38 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:03:49 pm »
Is the little blower for supercharging the Fiat 500?

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #39 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:06:33 pm »
Is #1 - bearing scrapers? #4 main jet in a carby tool?

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #40 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:31:43 pm »
Hello all
I cannot thank you chaps enough. I'm so happy you people have told me about the belt joiner/puncher/hole maker dodad.

1-bearing scrapers. Mine were flogged when our house was broken into years ago. Bugger. I miss them
2-gauge of some description? No idea in reality
3-nibblers for light metals or gasket paper?
4-G clamp and jet tool. Would the jet tool be for primus kero burning type gear?
5-no idea  ??? But it looks as though I can make one for what-ever reason it was made.
6-brazing tool for arch welder. carbon rods are inserted intot he clampy things with wingnuts and the rods rotate to strike the arc.
No number-rule come marking gauge, screwdriver, pry-bar, piece of packing, back scratcher, scraper, paint tin opener, drum sticks, cuppa stirrer, sambo cutter, peanut butter applicator, sword, and by nowhere last....flyswatter. Metric/imperial complete with hanging hole. I found the rounded end doesn't wear a hole in my back pocket as quick as a square edged ruler.

Cheers Scott

John 54

« Reply #41 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:43:31 pm »
Hi cobbadog and Frank
#4 is for removing the jets out of a blowtorch and removing the check valve at the bottom of the pump of said blow torches also starting lamps and stoves, a different spanner is required to remove the jets out of starting lamp and stove burners see spanners below.
#1 as you say are a pair of bearing scrapers
#2 is for finding the center of a round piece of material.
#3 look like nibblers for sheet metal.
#5 you have got me??????
#6 is a carbon ark welding hand piece, missing the two pieces of carbon.
Regards John
PS Hi Scott you pasted as I finished my reply   
John

franco

« Reply #42 on: 24 May, 2016, 06:47:42 pm »
Good going! between all the responders you have correctly identified all but #5. Clue: I am still waiting for Rusty Engines to identify #5.

The others were:
1.  Bearing scrapers
2.  Centre finder for round bars
3. Hand nibbler. The 3 blades are for thin sheet metal, laminates, and cutting arcs in either material.
4.  Tool for removing the burner nipples and pump valves from Primus kerosene blow lamps and stoves.

6.  Lincoln carbon arc torch. Attaches to a welder for heating and brazing.

Frank.
Cairns, Queensland

rustyengines

« Reply #43 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:33:10 pm »
What some people will do to tools just for most likely one job
Ian

rustyengines