Author Topic: Tool 1  (Read 139603 times)

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Re: Tool 1
« Reply #45 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:38:01 pm »
This one has been up once before somewhere back in an old post
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

rustyengines

« Reply #46 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:42:15 pm »
This is for apprentices so they can drill a hole of center
Ian

franco

« Reply #47 on: 25 May, 2016, 12:42:48 am »
Hi Ian,

QUOTE: "I am still waiting for Rusty Engines to identify #5." why me  ;D"

Mower collector!

The fifth tool in my photo which nobody picked is a sharpener for reel mower blades. The Vee block guide is placed over one blade and its position adjusted so the short file clamped to the base of the tool to the left of the Vee block lies over the adjacent blade.

To be fair, it is the only one I have ever seen. My wife picked it up about 45 years ago at the closing down sale of a very long established general store in Ingham not knowing what it was. It could well have been there since well before WW2 for all I know.

At the same sale she also got a sickle (rarely used), and a pitch fork, very useful occasionally for picking up piles of loose vegetation, e.g. the debris left after a cyclone. Her fourth unusual ( I thought at the time) purchase at the sale was an English scythe handle without a blade, a bit like buying a hammer handle without the head! Even then scythes had gone out of fashion, and the only new scythe blade I could find anywhere was for an Italian scythe, which has a straight handle, so the very expensive double curved English handle didn't fit because the blade was at the wrong angle to the ground. However, after making an adapter it worked OK, and it is still a lot quicker than a whipper snipper for knocking down long wet season weeds, though harder on the back than I remember 45 years ago.

Frank.

Cairns, Queensland

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #48 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:36:39 am »
He is one the same as your Scott that I have
Ian
Hello Ian
Yours must be the 'luxury' version as it has a few things ours doesn't. The gear drive for the 'opener' been one, the scale on the side, the set screw on the blade and last, but by no-where least, paint. Red and black paint.

Franco, you may not believe this but many years ago I brought some scythe blades wrapped up in grease paper. I think there was about 4 of them. I know where one is and I'll have to think where I put the others. There's also a wooden handled scythe, an alloy handled scythe and an iddy biddy one that looks a lot like a golf club from hell. We use the iddy biddy one for cutting a bit of fresh lucerne for the ponies and for looking after snakes.

Cheers Scott

Scott

« Reply #49 on: 25 May, 2016, 03:59:43 pm »
Hello all,
We have a junk auction every Wednesday here in Warwick. I usually go to see what crap is up for sale and I'm normally home for smoko after seeing the crap. And most of the stuff is just that....utter CRAP!!!
Anyways I spotted a couple of useful boxes of crap that could gather dust in our shed. So after eating a sausage sambo for smoko, I liberated $28 from my wallet and became the proud owner of someone else's rubbish.

Here is something I've been going to make to finish a job off. A box of tapered pins. That saves a job.   :D

And there were a few spanners from makers such as good old Sidchrome, Lister, Ford (Canada), Triumph, Pope, BSA and a few from the US. A variety of teeny weeny tube spanners was also found. I'm so happy about the tube spanners. I've been looking to buy some small ones.

And there was a spanner with a sort of scale on both sides. Anyone know anything about it?

There was also the mandatory coupla grease guns, an oil gun and a Wakefield drum pump. Very happy with the drum pump...and it works. Yep, tried it already.  8)

There were a couple of sets of pliers looking thingoes. Anyone know what they were used for?

And there was even a couple boxes of bolts. Bolts are always handy.  ;)

Anyways, I think I got good value for the $28. I spent another $30 on a Husqvarna while I was there. It works well.

Cheers Scott

Oh....there was a fire lighter in amoungst the stuff as well. It's that long blue thing at the top of the 1st picture

Oldengines

« Reply #50 on: 25 May, 2016, 05:43:05 pm »
spanner with scale is a fuel gauge for ferguson tractor, pliers are for brake shoe spring removing/replacing
Cheers from West Aussie.

rustyengines

« Reply #51 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:41:59 pm »
Saw tooth setting tool, look at the date 1889 I know not when it was made but I wounder just how far forward of that date was it made
Ian

Scott

« Reply #52 on: 26 May, 2016, 06:52:15 am »
spanner with scale is a fuel gauge for ferguson tractor, pliers are for brake shoe spring removing/replacing
Hello all
Thanks for that  :)
I did a bit of research on the EN18 Ferguson spanner and the scale on the other side is marked in cm. The cm is barely legible on the spanner in the picture. That an only lead to another question: Why imperial fluid measurements and metric lineal measurements? I'm going to have to go and check the scaling to see if it is centimetres when the frost lifts. Too cold at the moment.

On the brake pliers, there's a round thing on the bottom of one of the handles. What was this used for? This was the bit that had me stumped.
What about the pliers next to the brake pliers? Or are they simply pliers?
I'm sorry that I have so many questions, but that's me I suppose.  :-[

Ian, this may be of interest. Disston had the patent from 1899 but they made those suckers for a long time.
Here is a 1902 version and I found versions of them into the 30's.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Disston_Triumph_Saw-set.jpg

Saw sets an be very ornate. I have one that would not look out of place in the kitchen or flash office. One of the distinct memories of my dad is when he was home (worked away a lot as a builder for Dept. of Ag) he always touched up his handsaws and set them. It's not that easy to do I found out. The natural tendency is too concentrate too much on the teeth in the middle of the saw, hence saws with bellies.
As a side note: I have most of the parts for a cast saw holder in the shed for sharpening by hand and I know where an automatic handsaw sharpener is sitting. I'm waiting for a price on that so I can fix all the hand saws I've probably stuffed up by sharpening by hand, and I have to pick up a circular saw sharpener (gullener?) for large circular saws when I go to Brisbane next. It's going to be a job. It's heavy.

Cheers Scott
PS: I went looking for a couple of spanners I've been saving up to give to a some goose. I hope they're in Brisbane as they aren't here in Warwick. I had 3 or 4 and gave one away. The bloke laughed and laughed about it when I gave it to him (but he has a sense of humour)
PPS: We tried out our new/second hand $30 Husky last night. Works a treat and I'm in the good books  :D

wee-allis

« Reply #53 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:08:58 am »

Hi Scott,

I have a pair of these brake spting pliers and on mine, the round bit on the end of the handle is open on the other side. It is used to hook the spring back onto a pin type anchor. You put the handle through the spring eye, place the spoon shape over the end of the pin, raise the pliers and the spring slides down and over the end of the pin.

Perhaps these are similar.
Cheers, Steve,
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

rustyengines

« Reply #54 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:40:38 am »
brake spring pliers same as Scotts
Better pictures
Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #55 on: 26 May, 2016, 04:34:39 pm »
Hi Scott,
The spanner with the numbers on it is a Grey Fergie spanner. It measures the fuel in the fuel tank using the numbers as well as setting the depth of the plough and the spanner suits many of the nuts  on the tractor and ploughs. Been looking for one for Dees HRH Sarah but want the European version which has inches one side and cm the other.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

rustyengines

« Reply #56 on: 30 May, 2016, 09:03:18 am »
Weekend pick up will clean up later
Ian

Kim S

« Reply #57 on: 30 May, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »
A few have seen this so likely easy but any how take a guess ?

Kim

rustyengines

« Reply #58 on: 30 May, 2016, 07:40:16 pm »
The vice grip type of pliers I posted above are
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DE-STA-CO-WELDING-AIRCRAFT-TOGGLE-CLAMP-PLIERS-LARGE-NICE-COND-MECHANIC-TOOL-/152092098128?hash=item2369653e50:g:ApkAAOSw7W5XOPxV
At long last I know what they were used for which does make seance as during WW2 Townsville had a large USA air force base here
Ian

Scott

« Reply #59 on: 31 May, 2016, 08:17:10 am »
Hello all
Gee wizz that's a flash screwdriver there Ian. Screwdrivers, to me, are items that are either well designed or rubbish. We went from the big handled screwdrivers, such as what Ian has posted' to the tiny gripped screwdrivers from the 70-onwards and now, if you want to pay more, screwdrivers have gone back the big handles. I used to get cramps in my hands from using the Stanley type of screwdrivers when I worked. I splurged and brought myself a set of Irazolas and cramps after prolonged use disappeared the next day. I got them in 1996 and still have/use them today. And they're not worn out, so either I don't do much or they're good screwdrivers.

Well done on finding out what the other thingo is. I was going to guess valve remover for tiny engines or similar, but I would have been wrong. Really wrong  ;D

Kim....a guess if I may as I have no idea. A test kit to see if oil or diesel has water in it?

Shifting spanners. The range and designs these came in is mind blowing. I'll see if remember to get a couple of odd one we have out later.

Cheers Scott