Author Topic: Tool 1  (Read 139601 times)

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Re: Tool 1
« Reply #240 on: 18 April, 2018, 07:12:00 am »
Hello Ian.
It is a 2 speed ratcheting drill.
The pin has a taper on the bottom like a Lister crank handle. If you pull the pin (if it's not stuck) you can rotate it and it will slip it into the 4 various positions (you can see that in your picture). In one position it's continuous (is that the term for locked up). in the next position it'll ratchet one way then locked up then ratchet the other way as yu turn the pin around to it's various locations.
For the 2 speed you twist the collar between the 2 gears on the main spindle. Twist it one way the top drive gear works with the inner gear on the handle, twist the other way the outer gear on the handle drives the lower gear on the spindle giving the two speeds.
If I could find my camera I'd take some pictures to show the bits on a drill pulled apart.

Cheers Scott

Scott

« Reply #241 on: 18 April, 2018, 07:35:54 am »
Found it.

Other side of the ratcheting pin

Pin showing the locking bit

Twisty collar on the spindle to engage either of the gears to allow 2 speeds.

The funny shaped handle simply allows a lot of flexibility to be able to use the drill in tight spots I suppose.

Ours also has a detent spring and ball to keep pressure between the drive and driven gears. You can see it towards the top in the last picture.

They would have been a pretty flash drill in their day.

Cheers Scott

Scott

« Reply #242 on: 18 April, 2018, 08:05:44 am »
Hello again
Believe it or not but I've been looking for the camera for a few days. Believe it or not, one of my pet hates is looking for stuff....especially tools. Even scratching around in a toolbox like an old chook annoys the begeesus out of me.
So with tools in mind I've never forgotten my Pop's tool roll he had in the back of Nan and Pop's Austin Lancer and if anything needed fixing he'd go out and get his tool roll from the boot, unroll it and fix what-ever was broken. The stuff he had in that tool roll.
Simple childhood memories. Sadly I have no idea where that tool roll is now. Probably sold in a garage sale by my Aunty from hell.
We've been finding a few tools around the place and we've also been collecting a few sewing machines. So instead of chucking all the tools in a box and thinking what better way is there to a test sewing machine after it's been fixed, I thought I'd make some tool rolls. Some rolls will be simply put in a big wooden box and some will be used.

Cheers then
Scott

Here is some drill bits kept together within a roll. They'll go in the big wooden box.

Some hook picks which will be in my toolbox.

And some magneto tools which will also be in my toolbox. Notice the spare spot? That where the little set of spanners should be. I just can't find the bloody things to put them in there.

klanger

« Reply #243 on: 18 April, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »
Hi Scott, maybe you can sell these at the next engine rally, along side the bouncy castle ;) ::)

All kidding aside, great work.
I had my grandfathers tool roll from his very early 60's Dastun Bluebird.
Lost to the mists of time now.

Kev.
Kevin
Cowes, Phillip Island. Vic
2 x 3hp Record Marine Engines
Ferro 7.5 hp Type K Marine Engine
Ferro 5.5 hp Type E Marine Engine
Ferro 5.5 hp Type F Stationary Engine
2 x Stuart Turner P5M
Simplex 5Hp
Simplex 7/10Hp Twin Cylinder
Detroit Marine Engine 4 HP

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #244 on: 18 April, 2018, 02:45:59 pm »
Dee just spotted your sewing exercise and now wants to send some fabric up to you and you can nock up some curtains to help her get in front of the orders.

Nice work seamstress!
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #245 on: 18 April, 2018, 02:59:02 pm »
Thanks Scott
What is wrong with mine in the bit between the 2 bevel gears is stuck
Still unique how it is mad into a drill press
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Scott

« Reply #246 on: 18 April, 2018, 03:37:23 pm »
Dee just spotted your sewing exercise and now wants to send some fabric up to you and you can nock up some curtains to help her get in front of the orders.
I'm good on curtains. I made them for the caravan and I made a shade sail for out the back. I'm liking this sewing and knitting thing.

Our drill was stuck too Ian. In one of the pictures you might be able to see where someone ground off the inner set of teeth on the flywheel thingo. I've got the 2 speed selector working hoping I'll find another flywheel thingo one-day.
Yep, your drill press is certainly unique Ian. I'd just tidy it up a bit too.
They chose the right drill to convert to a drill press. with the mounting.

Cheers Scott
PS: Seamstress. I don't seem stressed. How could I be stressed. Good cook, good place to live, a few animals and a hobby. What's to stress about?

rustyengines

« Reply #247 on: 20 April, 2018, 10:03:06 am »
Push Bike puncture repair kit
Does anybody remember these
Ian

franco

« Reply #248 on: 20 April, 2018, 01:18:03 pm »
Yep. I still have the push bike sized clamp somewhere.

I also have the car sized clamp. A few years ago I wanted to repair a couple of tubes for the 26 Chev. I discovered to my surprise that the 5 minute vulcanizer patches patches were still available  and ordered a tin. I was surprised also (don't know why) to find they were made in China. I was further surprised to find that, whatever I tried, including soaking the heat source in methylated spirits and heating it with a propane torch, it was impossible to ignite it to provide the heat needed to vulcanize the patch onto the tube.

I wonder if this is a Health and Safety issue? :) I suppose the user, no matter how ham handed and lacking in safety awareness he is, would find it difficult to burn himself using the patches straight from the tin as intended, if the heating compound will not burn. The patches don't stick very well without the heat though!

Frank.
Cairns, Queensland

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #249 on: 20 April, 2018, 02:40:36 pm »
I'm sure if I looked hard enough I too will find one of those clamps somewhere safe!
As for vulcanising patches give me chemically bonded ones anytime.

rustyengines

« Reply #250 on: 22 April, 2018, 10:59:46 am »
What was this used for ?
Ian

Kim S

« Reply #251 on: 22 April, 2018, 11:14:56 am »
PMG telephone line strainer.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #252 on: 22 April, 2018, 11:31:51 am »
I was going to suggest a wire strainer but I did not think of telephone cables.

Scott

« Reply #253 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:42:17 pm »
Hello Ian.
I have actually used a set of those 30 feet in the air tensioning power lines. These were used for either telephone or railway or electrical overhead cables. Not the multicored insulated stuff, the twisted copper uninsulated overhead lines.
Do they have serrations inside the jaws or just plain? They came in different sizes as well and somewhere I seem to remember the ones for copper lines were plain and the ones for steel had the serrations in the jaws. But that was over 35 years ago.

Cheers Scott

rustyengines

« Reply #254 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:42:50 pm »
"PMG telephone line strainer."
Oh how may of them would there be out there
What age?
Ian