Author Topic: Lister D  (Read 7877 times)

pietboer

• Listers,Wolseleys and old tractors
Lister D
« on: 05 August, 2016, 05:27:03 pm »
Hi guys
I am from South Africa and I need some answers on a engine.
I need some info on a Lister D I picked up from a farmer.This engine has a different nr cast on the block .All my other engines have a nr cast on the block of 1-1062.This engine has a cast nr of 1309 on the block.Also it has a much thinner tank than my other engines.Also this engine is about 7mm shorter than my other engines.I would like to know if this is a different kind of D engine or just a different company that made the casting.The engine nr is 137736 with a spec nr of 19D2HK.
Thank you 

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Re: Lister D
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2016, 06:04:36 am »
Hello pietboer.
Welcome to the forum.

Lister D's are one of those engines that have been around since the beginning and constantly changed until the end of production where about 750,000 (hopefully I remembered rightly) were made.
There were a few crankcases and numerous head designs so the height differences may be be obtained.
There were also a few fuel tanks used over the years, and pending on what spec. motor, your tank could be different to the next or last spec. engine. Some were mounted high, some low; some had two compartments, most had one; some where taller then others etc etc.
Your spec. 19D2HK engine sounds like an interesting engine. It is a bit different to the garden variety of Lister D. It is a kero/paraffin engine and has a few items that are very different to the standard petrol burning Lister D's. Have you got any pictures of it?

The spec. number is a bit confusing on your engine. The dating method used from 1950 could also be mistakenly used on your engine making it the 19th engine built in 1952. But it is not. 137736 was built in 1937.
If you want to understand the differences in the Lister D a bit more, a book called "The Lister D Story" by David Edgington is well worth purchasing and reading.

Cheers Scott

pietboer

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2016, 08:04:23 pm »
Thanks for the info.

pietboer

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2016, 08:38:34 pm »
Photos of engine when I picked it up from farm.The carb,hotbox,exhaust and magneto was loose in a box

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2016, 04:56:31 pm »
Hello all
Yep, interesting engine. I'd like to see it all together one day. I bet you get  asked questions about the oiler on the inspection door
Is that another petrol/kero D parked behind it in the first picture?

Cheers then
Scott

pietboer

« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2016, 07:06:37 pm »
Hi Scott
Yes people are not used to Lister D with oilers.The oiler has a thin pipe running inside the engine to drop oil onto the crank pin.I am busy working on the motor and it will run maybe next week-end.Yes the engine behind it is also a petrol/kero D series.My son (he is just 13) has just restored it for a competition.It also has a oiler,is radiator cooled and runs like a dream.We had it at a exhibition yesterday and it ran from about 9 o clock in the morning till about 8 o clock in the evening non stop.It burned about 5 litres of fuel.I am posting some photos of it here.On these photo it was still without the Lister stickers
Regards

pietboer

« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:56:20 pm »
Hi guys
Some more photos of our last exhibition.My son won 2 nd prize in the junior catogory