Author Topic: Bagshaw 6hp OFG  (Read 5871 times)

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Bagshaw 6hp OFG
« on: 28 September, 2016, 05:43:44 pm »
Hello all
Would anyone out there have a book, setting or any hints on getting the Bagshaw OFG running?

Cheers Scott

Kim S

Re: Bagshaw 6hp OFG
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2016, 08:25:13 pm »
I don't know if this is any help?, the book is lot more extensive but hard to copy as it is not in a format that is easy to copy but can extract specifics ?

Scott

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2016, 06:26:44 am »
Hello Kim.
That is a great help thanks very much. It is greatly appreciated. :)
Do they have any information on timing there?

Cheers Scott

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2016, 07:21:38 am »
Hi Scott.
As they are a copy of the Fairbanks-Morse Z you should be able to use a manual for one of them. They should be readily available from the usual suppliers and there may even be a copy lurking around in cyberspace somewhere.
Patrick
Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

Scott

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2016, 08:36:22 am »
Hello Patrick.
Thanks for that.
It appears this engine was an impulse originally (see trip on push rod) but it has been converted at some stage. The few examples of the Bagshaw I've seen are all the same as below so I don't know if they're all converted or that's how Bagshaw did them.
I did notice these engines can date back to the 20's so this may have had a Sumter (or something similar) on them.

I did find that book in cyberspace and Harry's old engine #3 has a lot of information on them.

Cheers and thanks
Scott

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2016, 10:56:51 am »
Hi Scott,
almost all the ones I have seen have had a rotary high tension magneto fitted. Here is one fitted with a F-M style plug-oscillator.
Patrick
Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

Kim S

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2016, 04:14:16 pm »
More Bagshaw instructions.........

Scott

« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2016, 06:39:08 am »
Hello all
thanks for those pages Kim.

I went and had another gander at the Bagshaw and measured up for the spark plug adapter.
While there I gave it a drink of oil everywhere possible.
The magneto seems to be dead (high tension side resistance in the megohm readings) so it'll come off in a couple of weeks for some tender loving care. In the meant time, bits like the carbi will be taken off and cleaned and re-assembled, head off and piston out to check, main bearing caps off to clean and check etc etc.
The hopper is full of rust and rubbish up over the bore hump. That'll definitely need cleaning or blowing out.

I had a look for a serial number yesterday. No sign of one on the makers plate, crankshaft ends or around the hopper. while looking I did find some timing marks on the gears.

Cheers and thanks
Scott

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2016, 08:30:54 pm »
Hi Scott picture of where I found the model number on mine serial number was on both ends of the crankshaft,yours should have a Plugosillator low tension magnteo set up being built between 1921/24
collector and restorer of stationary engines located in Hamilton Victoria

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2016, 09:09:51 pm »
Hi Scott having a few problems with windows updating at present, here is the the picture of where I found the model number other picture is the maggy set up on mine cheers clappo
collector and restorer of stationary engines located in Hamilton Victoria

Scott

« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2016, 07:37:26 am »
Hello Clappo
Cheers matey. I'll have another gander today.
I've been looking in  the shed to see if there's a chunk of steel to make the plug adapter. No luck so far but the bent axle out of the trailer looks like the go.
I tested the magneto and the HT side is open circuit so I my have to 'borrow' a magneto off one of our engines to put on this engine to get it running for old matey. The HT resistance reading was done with the magneto in position so there may be hope yet. Hopefully it's a dirty slip-ring or worn bonding brush causing the open circuit. Finding a plug-oscillator is probably well out of the reach of the owner of this engine. A magneto repair may also be out of reach, but as long as it's in running condition elsewhere we won't mind taking a magneto and oiler out to give it a run every now again.

Cheers and thanks
Scott

Scott

« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2016, 07:25:55 am »
Hello all
I had another look yesterday but could not see anything obvious in numbers. I wasn't going to take to it with sandpaper so the number may be left a mystery for a while longer.

Oil has been soaking in every orifice we could find so at least that is one step closer.
The owner is getting a bit excited on the prospect of seeing his old engine running again. He's been trying to remember what happened to the oiler but...... :-\

Cheers Scott

hoarder1

• Livin' the high life in Warwick, Qld.
    • Click HERE to see some more of my pictures
« Reply #12 on: 26 October, 2016, 03:41:48 pm »
How did you go with this one Scott?  According to Jeff Holly's book, 'the serial numbers on the early engines were stamped on the nameplate only.  Later types had the number on the crank case cover, timing gear guard and the crank shaft ends.'  He is referring to not just the OFG, but the OHG, OCG and OGG engines.

In the book is a copy of the instructions for the engines, but it appears to be indentical to the scans already shown in this thread.  If the book may be of any use, I'll bring it around one day for you to browse over a cuppa and a biscuit.

I'm not sure if Jeff's book is still available.  I got mine from the author in 2004, but I think Plough Book Sales may have had some stock.  It's called Bagshaw Engines, but features lots of their machinery.  ISBN 0 646 02157 5.
Collector and fan of ye olde crappe. I collect old number plates.  Have you got any?  Send me a PM if you do.  :-)  I might even trade them for other old junk.

Scott

« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2016, 04:39:39 pm »
Gidday matey
Are you going over to Oakey? If so, then look me up and we can talk about this old engine. It's not mine but I am getting her in working order for the owner. So far more oil is soaking, the magneto has got huge spark and that's about it for now.
You  might be surprised when I tell you where this engine is.  ;)

Cheers then
Scott
PS: If you go to Oakey, I'll have the Barlow, Cooper horizontal and Triton pump.

hoarder1

• Livin' the high life in Warwick, Qld.
    • Click HERE to see some more of my pictures
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:21:48 pm »
have fun at Oakey, I'm off to the Historic motorcycle club swap meet at Laidley the same weekend, so won't make it.  Have to work Fri, Sat & Sun nights in between trying to have fun with old gear, so won't get to Oakey unfortunately.
Collector and fan of ye olde crappe. I collect old number plates.  Have you got any?  Send me a PM if you do.  :-)  I might even trade them for other old junk.