Author Topic: Exhaust Brake  (Read 5981 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Exhaust Brake
« on: 29 April, 2017, 03:48:37 pm »
Hi guys. The last time we drove Lorry into town to pick up a load of flooring he ran fairly poorly. Was lacking a bit of get up n go and the exhaust brake was misbehaving. Found that it had seized up again. This happened when we were driving him home from Newcastle when we bought him a few years back now and I removed it and tossed it into some molasses and problem was solved. But it happened again. No wonder he was lacking some go as it was partially closed. A nice brand new one was purchased along with gaskets and I spent today fitting it up. All good now and ready for the next project on Lorry, more rust repairs followed by bailey channel rubbers and door seals and some paint eventually.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

John 54

Re: Exhaust Brake
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2017, 05:29:10 pm »
Hi cobbadog
I have an Isuzu NQR 450, I took it to Hamilton to the national (1100 Km round trip ) ran faultlessly. It is fitted with an exhaust brake too, It is a guillotine type so I don' know how to tell if it jams in what position it is in? I probably should service it thanks for the reminder.
Just wondering do you have heat coming up through the floor, from the engine, is there any insulation under the floor?
The next project is to insulate under the floor and then fit more lights, that is driving, reversing and work lights. ;D
Regards John             
John

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2017, 03:01:56 pm »
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply, I didn't know if anyone else would care about this as it is not a Vintage vehicle. At leats now the exhaust brake works as designed and opens and shuts as it is suppose to. I know the type you have and I don't know what you would need to do to "service" it other than a wire brush as grease and lubricants could heat up and cause a problem.
Yes Lorry does have a small amount of insulation under the floor facing the engine. It is similar to what they use to insulate roofs. Although this one is silver top and bottom. I fully intend to replace what is left on Lorry but I also want to use something that will also deaden the sound as Lorry is a noisey bugga to ride in. I also need to put a new roof lining in him. The new one will be that outside/marine carpet stuck to the ribs on the roof. There is never a shortage of jobs to do on any of the toys we have around here.

John 54

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »
Hi cobbadog
You need a truck to tow the toys around. Many years ago I towed the Ronnie's around behind a Holden 1 Tonner  it towed them (nearly 2.5 tonnes all up ) alright but you could not stop very well. I then bought a Dodge AT4 353 and fitted it with a Perkins 6354/2 and a Mazda T4100 10 speed gear box, I drove it towing the Ronnie's for many years until the body rotted off. When I retired I bought an Isuzu NQR 450 ( 8500 KG GVM 10500 KG GCM) now I go in luxury with the engine on the truck towing the van. A you say there is always something to do, I have more storage boxes to build to go under the tray on the passengers side. As you have probably seen from previous posts I have the Ronnie's loading and tieing down sorted.
I also have a tandem trailer that can also carry a Ronnie so I can take 2 to local shows if I don't need the van. The second Photo shows my trailer with my John Deere 1025R with mowing deck at our rally grounds. I am there to mow the grounds.
Regards John   
John

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2017, 04:46:22 pm »
It sure is far more comfortable to have the van at a rally. I need to sort out a way to safely load some engines onto Lorry. The ramps for the tractors are to wide and the rungs are too far apart. I was thinking of making some heavy mesh ramps to sit on top of the long ramps and also bridge the gap between. But time is a problem still.

John 54

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2017, 05:25:00 pm »
Hi cobbadog
It is far more comfortable in the van as I can stop when I am tired, jump in the van and have a sleep. I did it going too and from the national. I had to go through Melbourne so I left to go to Hamilton at midnight and stopped the other side of Melbourne and sleeped, on the way home I went through at 9pm and stopped again, it was great.   
I use channel iron I got out of an old Bedford chassis they work well I reinforced them by welding some 3/4" pipe along the edge of the flange's (I used low hydrogen rods to do the welding). Chassis rails are stronger and lighter than normal channel iron.
Regards John   
John

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:22:21 pm »
Yes that was another idea I had but I then have a curve ball to throw into the equation. the ramps on Lorry were bent like a banana when we bought him. So in my infinite wisdom I turned them over to have the load pushing them down but nothing we have is heavy enough. But as it turns out they are a dream to load and unload on because of the hump in the ramp so any other item I choose to put there must match the shape.
I like being different !!!!    :o

John 54

« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:40:41 pm »
Hi cobbadog
Had the truck and trailer out today, took the little John Deere to the rally grounds in Heyfield to mow it in preparation for our rally on the 20th and 21st of May. I find it much less stressful towing with the truck than the Ford Territory. ;)
Regards John   
John

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2017, 03:40:28 pm »
That would mean that Scotty will probably come up there and terrorise you. My 2 baby Sisters live in OneWoomba and we visit every now and then. Love going to Heyfield and the southern Cross Museum.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2017, 03:43:40 pm »
OOPS
I was thinking of Highfields QLD not Heyfield Vic. Help me, I'm getting worse!
If that is possible.