Author Topic: Simplex Model D milk pump  (Read 6624 times)

Ian

Simplex Model D milk pump
« on: 20 August, 2017, 10:24:37 pm »
Hi All

I need to repaint my Simplex Model D milk pump. 
Is this the original colour? 
If not what colour should it be?
what is the best type of paint to use and who makes it?

https://forums.tomm.com.au/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4803.0;attach=13298;image
1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

Eric Schulz

Re: Simplex Model D milk pump
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2017, 09:01:08 pm »
Although I haven't seen a Simplex pump, I do know that Baltic Simplex cream separators were painted dark blue. Being a dairy pump, they may have been the same colour. For painting, nothing wrong with a decent quality spray can.

Eric

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2017, 04:08:50 pm »
Being a pump I would use Rustoleum in a spray can. they make a Cardinal Red which I used on the engine of our David Brown tractor. The red is rich in colour and holds a fairly good gloss. If you want to either brush or spray yourself use Rustguard - Epoxy paint. This stuff I used on the chassis of Lorry and it is the best I have used so far for this purpose.
I buy my Rustoleum spray cans at one of the local paint shops here in Taree but Bunnings sell a very similar paint by Rustoleum but they call it 2X. In both cases no primer is required so it is quick and easy to use but I have found that the original Rustoleum is a little better than the 2X paint.

After that go to 2pak paint. It does take a little extra work in mixing but the end result is the best for hardness and fuel resistant.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Ian

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2017, 08:59:02 pm »
Hi all

The Simplex Model D is done and dusted, just need to give it a test run.  Good suction on the inlet side and plenty of air pressure on the outlet.
Hope the colour is not too much circus clown for some?

Regards

Ian
1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2017, 03:48:21 pm »
Looks nice Ian. Glad it works and it will be nice to see it pump something again one day.

harrone

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2018, 02:08:38 am »
I've got a couple of that Model D but has anyone ever seen the Model A, B or C? I've got other styles/brands of skim milk pumps which may account for the AB&C in the simplex range. Ajax made a very similar looking and sized skim milk pump. The other styles tended to be mounted on the side of posts that held up the roof of dairy sheds.
My main interest is water pumps but I do have 80 stationary engines

Ian

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2018, 01:49:12 pm »
Hi Harrone

I also have a AJax Milk Pump that I have restored.

Ian

harrone

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2018, 02:56:43 pm »
It's interesting that Simplex didn't feel the need to have a fast and loose pulley arrangement like Ajax.

I do have a compressor pump that is very similar to the Ajax version but the cylinder is cast iron with horizontal vanes/ridges to dissipate the heat generated. I picked it up from Ozzie Fishers deceased estate selloff before the family could though it into the scrap metal skips that most of his stuff went in, quite sad really when the next generation has so little regard for a lifetime of collecting old machinery and most of it is just heaved into scrap metal bins. Buy the time I heard about the cleanout they had already filled and taken away 6 loads. There were 4 half filled bins spread around the property and I grabbed out of them what I could. 3x 26 inch antique saw blades out of one and another one half full of antique power tools and electric motors and generators.
I grabbed a huge industrial model Wolf angle grinder that must have weighed 25kg. It worked perfectly when I got it home and plugged it into a 15amp circuit I have.

The family just wanted to clear out everything so they could sell the property and retire on the sale price of the two building blocks that were where they were. If you know Brisbane, two empty building blocks that were zoned for highrise directly below Milton railway station must have gone for millions 3 years ago. There is now a huge apartment block towering over the station.

Cheers

Mark
My main interest is water pumps but I do have 80 stationary engines

Ian

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2018, 09:27:56 pm »
Hi Harrone

The sale I went to last weekend were I bought the Goulds Pyramid was a bit like that.  The said anything that does not sell will be going for scrap.

Ian

Siz

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2021, 06:25:20 pm »
Pictures of a Simplex model D I picked up at a clearing sale recently.
White Gasoline & Gopher Engines

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:09:47 pm »
Nice find.

Siz

« Reply #11 on: 25 July, 2021, 09:38:55 am »
Thanks , will clean it up today and take that v belt pulley off and try to find one close to the style in earlier photos.
White Gasoline & Gopher Engines

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 25 July, 2021, 02:12:04 pm »
Yes a flat belt pulley would look a lot better.