Author Topic: GMF/Cooper 32VDC Generator  (Read 5829 times)

austin14

GMF/Cooper 32VDC Generator
« on: 13 September, 2017, 03:38:21 pm »
Hi all, looking for some help.  I have a Cooper .75kW, 32/43V, Generator with no switch/control gear.  Ideally i would like to put something together similar to what they come out with.  Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it.  It is a type:D.165, with 2 x brushes.  I have some Southern Cross lighting plant diagrams which I can use, however having trouble sourcing parts (cut-out, field resistor, ammeter and voltmeter).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steam Nev

Re: GMF/Cooper 32VDC Generator
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2019, 01:44:32 pm »
Hoping you got some help for this
I have a similar problem and am looking for a wiring diagram for a similar Cooper / GMF lighting plant
I have the complete panel but the wiring was cut of by previous owner and it is not clear how to reconnect it. A complicating fact is that this plant has a start switch in the base plate rather than on the panel.
Hoping you may be able to help

oldgoat

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2019, 10:47:41 pm »
By the look of it 2of those wires will be the armature and the other 2 will be the field.
You would need a variable resistor to be connected to the field to adjust the output.
I see a multimeter on the bench; the field will be the coil with highest resistance probably only a few ohms

asw120

« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2019, 05:46:24 pm »
If it has a series field, I  find there is usually a knife switch to connect the series field for starting and is thrown over the other way to generate.
I have a Winchcombe Carson starter generator panel which I need to trace out. There's more on it than you might think; eg cutout relay.
Generator will have 6 terminals if it has series field.  The panels do turn up. Thete was one for sale at Allora this year.

Steam Nev

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2019, 05:11:01 pm »
Have just found this diagram which is what i have been looking for just have to identify the terminals on the generator now which shouldn't be that bad.

ajaffa1

« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2019, 03:36:35 pm »
Hi Steam Nev, I am in the middle of restoring an identical GMF dynamo/starter motor. When I was striping it down I found the following markings on the casing which appear to coincide nicely with your wiring diagram.

Sadly I do not have the original control panel and am going to have to manufacture one. I am guessing the original would have had a voltmeter, amp meter, rheostat and a fuse.

Anyway, I hope the attached photos help

Bob

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2019, 04:04:33 pm »
Welcome to TOMM ajaffa1
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

ajaffa1

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2019, 06:32:41 pm »
Hi Cobbadog and thanks for the welcome.  I`ve been a frequent guest for a while and only signed up as a member today. hope I enjoy my time here as much I do on some other forums.

Bob

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2019, 09:23:46 pm »
i think it's maanily time to travel to ralYou should do. It sometimes gets a bit quiet but I think it's timeto travle to rallies and do the restorations.

ajaffa1

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2019, 05:17:30 pm »
Hi Cobbadog, your message was a bit garbled but I think you are trying to say that I should go to more rallies.I`m hoping to have the Sunbeam Copper lighting plant and my Southern Cross ETB/Marino piston pump ready to show soon, just waiting for the cylinders to come back from the machine shop. I`ll give the guy a call in the morning and find out what the hold up is.

In the meantime I have assembled the 32 volt dynamo today and it`s looking pretty good, if anyone knows what the original control panel looked like that would help me to find the bits to make one.

Bob

ajaffa1

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2019, 06:43:42 pm »
Hi Guys, despite having had to go and fix tractors today, I did manage to mount my dynamo and tension the belts, it`s almost a crime to put the cover on the brass brush holder assembly.

How are you guys going with your rebuilds? Any ideas about the control panel?

Bob

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:06:44 pm »
Beautiful work there. Yes it would be hard to cover up all that hard work. Have you tried Mr Google for a pic of the control panel or good old YouTube has a heap of stuff on it that never stops to amaze me what you can find.